Exchanging money

EGG

We will be traveling to Norway on a QE all Norway cruise. Will we be able to get Norwegian money on the ship. On a Europe cruise years ago they accepted Travelers Checks and converted to Euros but I'm not sure this is now an option, or if Kroners are available. Not concerned about a fee.

Thanks in advance

Cunard no longer handles travelers cheques, neither for currency exchange nor payment on your shipboard account.

But yes, you will be able to puchase Kroner onboard. Though it is a good thing that fees do not trouble you because you will be well worse off than if you either obtained them from your bank before leaving home or used your credit card for purchases--even with a fee for each transaction the rate will be much more competitive.

For our first Norway cruise, we got Kroner from our local American Express office. I think the second time, we got Kroner from our bank. I like knowing I have some local currency when I arrive. We used our atm card to get more money during the trip. I remember the first time I did that, I had a moment of panic wondering how I'd be able to read the screen! I didn't know the Norwegian word for English. But they offer you a choice of languages in their own language--English, Francais, Deutch, Espangol, etc.

Bank of America does foreign exchange without fees for people who have an account there. Other banks may offer a similar service. Check your local bank.

Another thing about Bank of America. They have foreign "partner" banks, and if you use those atms, BoA doesn't charge you an out-of-network fee.

As an aside but still sort of on topic, last year in the UK, not a single bank would take US currency for change. No one! I had to change US dollars at Marks & Spencers change department at, as you might guess, very unfavorable rates.

Archived