Help packing!

katlady12

Hi, we are taking our first cruise next Sunday, and maybe this is an airport thing more than the cruise but things like sunscreen.....should it be packed in your luggage or should you carry it on? if we carry it on, it has to be in a 3 oz bottle right? So could i put a bigger bottle in our suitcase???? What all should we have in a carry on for boarding the plane and ship>? Thank you for your help!

You should always have a change of clothes in your carry on. Any prescription medicine and valuables should not be checked. Some people take a bathing suit in their carry on (if you are leaving from a warm port and want to go swimming when you get on board). I would just put the sunscreen in your checked luggage. If you think you will need the sunscreen as soon as you board, put it in an outside pocket of your checked luggage and change it over after you pick up your luggage at the airport.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Hi, we are taking our first cruise next Sunday, and maybe this is an airport thing more than the cruise but things like sunscreen.....should it be packed in your luggage or should you carry it on? if we carry it on, it has to be in a 3 oz bottle right? So could i put a bigger bottle in our suitcase????
You are right -- it is an airport issue only.

The cruise lines do not care what size bottle sunscreen you pack where.

It doesn't matter if you pack the larger sunscreen in your checked luggage, or wait and buy a new bottle at the airport after you go through security, or buy it at your embarkation port, or at any port along the way.

What all should we have in a carry on for boarding the plane and ship>? Thank you for your help!
Have your passports and boarding passes and money and credit cards and medications and other valuables in your carry on for boarding, plus all other essential items that you would be the most upset about not having if your checked luggage doesn't show up.

Have a great cruise!

Should you decide to pack your sunscreen in your checked luggage, please make sure to put it inside a sealed ziploc baggie. You don't want to run the risk of a leak on your clothes. I always check my big lotion.

I agree with putting it in a ziplock bag in your checked luggage, just in case.

If space is an issue, sometimes we just buy new sunscreen when we get to the port city. We each like our own type, so that means two bottles, plus, I always want to have plenty along if taking a cruise with lots of sun.

We always fly in a day early so we either find a drugstore, discount store or supermarket near our hotel the day we fly in or the morning before boarding. So far we've never had a problem finding someplace within walking distance.

Since you will need 1 ounce of sunscreen every 2 hours per person to protect yourself, bring large bottles and put in your checked luggage....you can't possible fit enough 3 oz bottles in a quart zip-loc to hand carry on the plane.

There are no liquid restrictions on the ship (except for alcohol!!)

Archived