How safe is it

Croozer101

We have left: iPad, Motorola Xoom, camera, video camera, laptop all in our cabin at various times on various cruises and never once did anything go missing. However, that is us and if you are worried I suggest you bring a lock for your suitcase and secure your items that don't fit in the safe.

We have never had a problem with anything going missing.

That said, I tend to try to be cautious, as well, and smaller items and meds I tuck away.

As someone else said, stewards need their jobs, and they are not going to risk their livelihood on one item worth a few hundred dollars.

The safes aren't very big, but it is surprising how much gear will fit inside of them. I carry way too much electronic equipment, including a DSLR camera with an extra lens, one or two point and shoots, a video camera, and a kindle, and can usually get all of that into the safe along with my wallet and documents.

I keep my laptop in one of the drawers.

Sometimes I leave my gear in my backpack or charging on the counter. Usually I prefer to keep things out of sight, not because of the room stewards, but because the doors of multiple cabins are often left open while they clean, and they may be preoccupied in another cabin long enough for a less scrupulous passenger to pop in and make off with my gear.

I have left many items out on the desk without a problem. On our last cruise I forgot to put my diamond and ruby necklace back in the safe on formal night. The next night my towel animal was wearing my necklace.

I usually “hide” the credit card that I use to lock the safe in the bible in the top drawer. I know its kinda dumb to put it there, but honestly I have never had a problem or had anything come up missing.

I never even thought about locking up medications. With a degenerative muscular disease I am on 18 different meds – many of which are narcotic pain meds. I just put all the bottles on a couple of the shelves in the bathroom. None have come up missing but maybe I should lock them up next time.

I used to hide stuff in the safe. But then I started learning more about those who work on the ships. I do not think they want my camera, laptop, whatever, in exchange for the job that supports them months/years at a time. I think that it would be a matter of honor for them.

What we can fit in the safe, we lock up. Not that we think our steward would steal anything but it is just what we do. If we aren't using it or charging it we throw it in the safe. We have left iphones, high dollar Cannon T3i cameras and things of that nature right on the vanity countertop charging and have never had a problem. In fact I have never heard of it ever being a problem in a stateroom. However, like what was said, someone will chime in saying how they got ripped off. It is what it is. Lock up valuables when you can as that is common sense but don't sit and worry your stuff will be stolen if it won't fit in the safe. Trust me ;)

:D

I take my camera, but I am super careful with it.

If I leave it in the cabin I tuck it away.

If you have a prescription for meds that have street value, like xanex sort of stuff, then keep it in the safe.

Really.

We do the same.

It's not the steward that I don't trust. How many times have you walked by an unoccupied cabin with the door open during cleaning? Steward may be in the cabin next door. Sooo easy for someone to duck in and snatch valuables.

To bring cameras like large nikon , iPads kindle etc that won't fit in safe ? Our camera won t and when I don t want to take it to dinner or the lounges do u feel ok to leave these in your cabin?

Send your electronics to me. I will make sure they are safe. heh heh heh:eek::p:rolleyes:

Archived