What rate to book if may need to take someone off?

BubMunkeyBles

So there is one person in our group who isn't sure they'll be able to go or not. What rate can we book and not have a penalty as long as we take them off before final payment?

What rates will allow us to do a name change up unto around the time we leave?

No, do not book early saver...you can not make changes and it will cost you $50 plus Carnival will hold the rest of your deposit for a future cruise if you cancel. I think you need to choose fun select or vifp but not easy saver or early saver.

Early Saver allows changes for $50. Super Saver does not allow any changes. No change fee for Early Saver, Fun Select, or Fun Select Plus.

DO NOT choose any of the "Saver" price codes, as they will not allow you to make any name changes. Also, on the Early Saver, if you remove someone from the booking, there will be a $50.00 fee and the remainder of their deposit will be held by Carnival to be used with 24 months BY THAT PERSON.

In order to make sure everything is refundable for everyone (prior to final payment) you must book Fun Select, Fun Select Plus, Past Guest, Military, Senior or Resident Rate (if available). Occasionally, they will be running a sale that will have a different price code, and they are usually fully refundable.

DO NOT choose any of the "Saver" price codes, as they will not allow you to make any name changes. Also, on the Early Saver, if you remove someone from the booking, there will be a $50.00 fee and the remainder of their deposit will be held by Carnival to be used with 24 months BY THAT PERSON.

In order to make sure everything is refundable for everyone (prior to final payment) you must book Fun Select, Fun Select Plus, Past Guest, Military, Senior or Resident Rate (if available). Occasionally, they will be running a sale that will have a different price code, and they are usually fully refundable.

Thanks! We'll look into booking Past Guest or FL resident (since they're all FL residents in that cabin).

Your answer about how to book with the refundable fare codes is correct except nowadays the FCC is held in the name of the person who's name was on the credit card used for the deposit.

Early Saver allows changes for $50. Super Saver does not allow any changes. No change fee for Early Saver, Fun Select, or Fun Select Plus.

This is not only incorrect, it contradicts itself!

I currently have three folks booked Early Saver and according to Carnival:

What if I cancel my booking?

If you cancel your booking today, the penalty amount would be $549.

(It equates to $200 each for persons 1 and 2, $149 for the third person.) I don't know exactly which fares will let you cancel without penalty, but know without a doubt that Early Saver will NOT.

I also believe that not everyone in a cabin has to book the same way. For instance, the two folks who are certain to travel could book early saver, the one in question could book otherwise.

why not just book the people you know will go in a cabin that will hold all of you should you need to add in the extra person later? Carnival charges to remove someone but not to add someone to the room.

I didn't know that was an option... :)

why not just book the people you know will go in a cabin that will hold all of you should you need to add in the extra person later? Carnival charges to remove someone but not to add someone to the room.

Bingo. I booked Early Saver for myself because we weren't sure if my sister would be able to come along. When I added her, the only cost was the additional port fees and taxes for the additional person. (Well, okay, plus grats, but that's a separate dealie.)

The only problem with waiting to add someone to your booking is if the ship has reached capacity (souls on board for life boat purposes), you can not add someone else.

It doesn't matter if your cabin is set up to hold more than one passenger.

The only problem with waiting to add someone to your booking is if the ship has reached capacity (souls on board for life boat purposes), you can not add someone else.

It doesn't matter if your cabin is set up to hold more than one passenger.

Thanks. We're cruising Feb.2 so I don't think that will be a huge issue, but if it is then my sisters BF will just be SOL, lol.

I didn't know that was an option... :)

I have booked my last three cruises that way and have never had a problem. I added him in once at the last minute, about a week before we sailed and once about a month before (and once not at all). My husband's work schedule is difficult to plan for, so I learned a long time ago that if I want to take a vacation I just book it for me and the kids and if he can come, great, and if not, he can still pay for us to go. LOL

The only thing I ever worry about is that Carnival will see I have 3 booked in a quad cabin and bump me out but so far, so good...

Archived