Decisions on what to pack!

mabones

I am a chronic over packer. Always have been. It must be the Girl Scout in me that must be prepared for every contingency.

One thing that I learned to include was lounge around the cabin clothes. Not pajamas/nightgown, but sweats and a tshirt. Fit enough to run to the buffet for a quick something in the morning instead of waiting for room service. Or, coming back in the evening, wanting out of the days clothes, but not quite ready for bed - maybe sit on the balcony for a bit or something like that.

And flip flops. Even in Alaska I took them for that quick run to the buffet, or the walk back from the spa.

Our first cruise was hilarious. I packed so much stuff. A pocketbook to match each of the 6 pairs of shoes and a complete change of clothes for 3 changes a day. And that was only for me! Now, I go as light as possible. I have no problem wearing something twice. So, it's a couple pairs of shorts, a pr of capris and maybe 4-5 tops. Something dressy and one pr of dressy shoes for a photo shoot and bathing suits. I can get it all in my small suitcase. I also pack a cloth carry on for items I buy in ports. I am more concerned with relaxing and isn't that what we go on cruises for :)

Hi, Advice I read online some years ago said to lay out all the clothes you think you need and then put 1/2 of them back. This works for me. I have a dress I bought in Hawaii and I wore that 3 times last month on the Jewel. Nobody noticed.

I wear Columbia nylon shorts which I can wash out and hang in bathroom on line in shower. They dry very quickly. I also wash out and hang underwear if necessary.I find that 2-3 pair of capris are more than enough.

I wear cotton t-shirts that I can also rinse/wash out and hang in shower. I bring 2 bathing suits in case one is not dry. I bring a couple of quick-dry tanks and my nylon biking capris, again things that wash and dry quickly. In fact I lived in these capris last month on the Jewel.

We love to snorkel so I always make sure I have a sweatshirt and nylon jacket as it can be cold coming back from snorkeling trips. My most important things to pack are my prescription mask and special fins and rash guard I bought in the Keys.

I also bring a couple of white sweaters to wear in the dining rooms as they are usually too cold for me.

I have a pair of Birks that I wear around the house 24/7 so I bring those. I also have a pair of white Birks and a pair of casual Merrill sandals and I bring those.

I used to bring alot of jewelry but stopped doing that.I just bring a few pieces. I have a small black wristlet purse I use if I have no pockets-ie:Hawaiian dress.

A nightgown to sleep in and I am good to go!

We have a small travel trailer which we travel around the country in during the summer for 6-8 weeks. The first year (2007)I brought tons of clothes and found I only wore about 1/8th or less of what I brought. Now I bring the minimum and have never run out of clothes.

Many cruises are so casual now that not a lot of clothes are needed.. for me anyway. Years ago we brought way to much stuff in 2 suitcases plus a garment bag full of suits and dresses,skirts and tops. Well only one suit for husband. No longer needed.

I figure at my age----61----no one really notices what I wear or how many times I wear it. Nor do I care if they do :)

One thing I do bring is a change of clothes in my carry on. And a bathing suit. There have been cruises where I haven't received my luggage until later in the afternoon.

If you want to use the fitness center you will need sneakers/track shoes.

Have fun on your cruise:)

We did our third NCL cruise last month on the Jewel and had such a good time we are already booked on the Breakaway for February 2014.

We have cruised on Princess, HAL,NCL,RCCL and Celebrity. All of them have been fun. Many good memories.

That

My motto is when in doubt...take it all!!! :eek: lol I like options and I'm an over packer. :p

Yeah, me too....I hate to admit how many pairs of shoes I take (hint: it is usually more than 10:eek:). We are within driving distance to 4 different ports though, so we usually don't fly to cruise.

I'm with you!! :D I don't necessarily overpack but I pack at least 7 different tops and 7 different bottoms...sometimes a couple extra in case my mood changes. ;)

I'm with you :) I just got off the Epic yesterday for the 2nd time. I did find being out on the deck cooler this year due to weather but found inside temp of the ship warmer.

Last cruise was 9 day and we each had a carryon and a backpack. I too, use the color method of packing, usually black, white and kakies. Lots of tanks and tees in many colors and a couple of sweaters. One skirt to wear to dinner, one pair sandles, flip flops and wear comfortable shoes to ship. Dh same-jeans, 3 shorts, polos for day and evening, one dress shirt.

We always send clothes to laundry on 9 days or longer cruise. Everyone is different and it is always interesting to read what is taken. We do take the power strip but never had a use for the shoe organizer or the duct tape.

One essential for us is flameless candles, can be used as nightlight or ambiance on balcony or in cabin.

Lynda

Never used the ship's laundry service. Just do the wash-it-out-in-the-sink method. Also pack Febreze -- it works wonders, especially if we've wondered through a smoking area. Febreze and shower steam -- that's the ticket!:D

Archived