Decisions on what to pack!

mabones

Now the fun begins! I've been on many cruises but when it comes time to pack I always draw a blank on what & how much to pack. How many tank tops, tee shirts, dress up tops for evening activities. Shorts, Capri's, long pants? I have the bathing suits & shoes & sandals picked out already. I hate to pack to much but panic that maybe it's not enough. What do you pack & do you have the same list each cruise?

Now the fun begins! I've been on many cruises but when it comes time to pack I always draw a blank on what & how much to pack. How many tank tops, tee shirts, dress up tops for evening activities. Shorts, Capri's, long pants? I have the bathing suits & shoes & sandals picked out already. I hate to pack to much but panic that maybe it's not enough. What do you pack & do you have the same list each cruise?

Pick a color scheme and have all your clothes in that theme - they will mix and match - I have Cream, white, black in evening, smart casual and casual in shorts, capris, trousers - tops then that have a black, cream or white feature go with all and they can have other colors (My main other color is blue) I also take old clothes and throw them out after a wear or two so Ican fit in any new pruchases. Last wear undies/socks are good for flights as you can dump them - my bag actually gets lighter the longer I am away - any new clothes purchases are in my color scheme

Hubby and I are sailing on the Epic on the 6th as well. Our 25th anniversary!! No idea what to pack either....I've heard mixing/matching things that you can wear twice is the way to go. I'll probably not pack any jeans but rather capris, shorts and sundresses. Am taking 1 formal dress and hubby is taking his suit pants with a couple different dress shirts. I think he will skip the suit jacket (too much room). I'm packing 3 pair of shoes for each of us along with the shoes we wear on embarkation day.

How many pieces of luggage do you generally take??

Hubby and I are sailing on the Epic on the 6th as well. Our 25th anniversary!! No idea what to pack either....I've heard mixing/matching things that you can wear twice is the way to go. I'll probably not pack any jeans but rather capris, shorts and sundresses. Am taking 1 formal dress and hubby is taking his suit pants with a couple different dress shirts. I think he will skip the suit jacket (too much room). I'm packing 3 pair of shoes for each of us along with the shoes we wear on embarkation day.

How many pieces of luggage do you generally take??

Normally, we each take a large suitcase & carry-on. We are celebrating our 35th Anniversary. I've learned over the years to always bring my most comfortable slacks (no restriction).

Over the years, we have learned to pack less. We have it down to one large case and a carry-on bag. At least with NCL, I can cut back on the more formal attire.

Capri's, Bermuda shorts, two swim suits and a cover up. Wear sneakers & pack casual flats and a glitzy pair with smaller heal. Toss is nice black and linen-like tan pants, with tops that have a little detail so I can wear them first at night with a jacket or mini sweater, then later in the week with shorts. I like to take a casual light-weight jacket or two to match with evening pants as I'm always cold on ships. Can't forget a sun dress, shawl/pashima, and a couple bright scarfs.

MAbones, I noticed you are from the Plymouth area - you are near my favorite cruise clothes shopping area - Derby St. Between than and Wrentham Outlets, that's the travel clothes.

Nevertheless, I alway over pack and arrive home with items I never wore.

Don't forget to toss in a folding cloth duffel bag - comes in handy for dirty laundry and it lets me pack anything extra I buy in my carry-on or large suite case.

Darcy

Over the years, we have learned to pack less. We have it down to one large case and a carry-on bag. At least with NCL, I can cut back on the more formal attire.

Capri's, Bermuda shorts, two swim suits and a cover up. Wear sneakers & pack casual flats and a glitzy pair with smaller heal. Toss is nice black and linen-like tan pants, with tops that have a little detail so I can wear them first at night with a jacket or mini sweater, then later in the week with shorts. I like to take a casual light-weight jacket or two to match with evening pants as I'm always cold on ships. Can't forget a sun dress, shawl/pashima, and a couple bright scarfs.

MAbones, I noticed you are from the Plymouth area - you are near my favorite cruise clothes shopping area - Derby St. Between than and Wrentham Outlets, that's the travel clothes.

Don't forget to toss in a folding cloth duffel bag - comes in handy for dirty laundry and it lets me pack anything extra I buy in my carry-on or large suite case.

Darcy

Can we assume Watch Hill, RI - love that area!

Keep track of the things you bring home unworn - soon enough you will travel in a carry-on only!

I too am trying to figure out what to pack for our TA from Southampton. Though I am pretty positive I can leave the shorts and capri pants at home. Really though trying to figure out shirts, pants, etc. Though I really wish NCL had a laundry that we could do ourselves onboard. I really don't like having someone else wash and dry my clothes.

Yes, CapeCodCruise, lots of great summer time memories of the beach parties on Watch Hill and sailing to Block and Fisher's Island.

I'm not ready to travel with only a carry-on bag. I did that for a week on land in AK a couple of years ago and by the time we boarded the ship in Whittier, I was the first one in the self-service laundry room.

Darcy

Darcy

I was going through my clothes yesterday & found I have ton's of tops. My sleeveless casual & dressy, short sleeves, mini-sweater's in black & white. I have run into the problem of the comfortable pants. I gained a little weight since my last cruise. I think this weekend I may go looking for the linen pants/crops. I can use them at work. You can dress them up or down.

What shops do you go to at Derby St? I have never been to Wrentham even though its not that far from me.

*waves* can't wait to meet you on our cruise! This being only my second cruise, the only thing I have to go by is the fact that I packed ENTIRELY too much when we went on the Sun.. I really and truthfully only wound up wearing maybe 2 or 3 of the outfits I had packd... I completely overpacked..

This go around, I plan to pack mainly sun dresses, maybe a pair of jeans that can be mixed and matched with different shirts, a couple tank tops, and one pair of capris. If thats not enough, then I guess I'll have to go naked for awhile! :D Totally kidding about that.

You think I would know how to mix and match by now! I just don't know what I'm going to want to wear. I did experiment with my sister and we both packed just a carry-on. What a mistake!! The weather wasn't what we expected and we had to wear the same thing more than once! Good thing we boarded in our jeans! We brought sundresses and it wasn't warm enough for them although we wore them to dinner with a sweater. I think we each had two pairs of shorts and two or three tops. I'd rather pack too much! We did laugh about it though, so all was not lost! ;)

We always take advantage of the laundry service for pants, shorts and shirts. DH sends out his clothes toward the end of a cruise so he arrives home with clean items to wear. Undies are easily hand washed in our room and hung on the line in the shower/tub to dry. Got to do that when we are away for 2-3 weeks.

Ah, Derby St. I hate the traffic, but enjoy Talbots, Coldwater, Ann Taylor and Chico's. My favorite is White's Pastry Shop. It's not Carlo's [breakaway]or the North End, but it's in the running.

It's actually easier for me to get to the Outlets in Wrentham. If anyone is planning extended visits to the Boston area, they should sign up through the premium outlets web site for VIP membership and print coupons for discounts for a couple of hotels, hoho trolley, museums, etc., it's a savings over what's offered by the ship.

I have to agree with those who pack a little extra as you can't anticipate drastic and sudden changes to the weather. That's probably why I have a collection of sweat shirts from all of the major cruise lines and their ships. I have NCL sweat shirts from ships they no longer have!

Darcy

We always take advantage of the laundry service for pants, shorts and shirts. DH sends out his clothes toward the end of a cruise so he arrives home with clean items to wear. Undies are easily hand washed in our room and hung on the line in the shower/tub to dry. Got to do that when we are away for 2-3 weeks.

Ah, Derby St. I hate the traffic, but enjoy Talbots, Coldwater, Ann Taylor and Chico's. My favorite is White's Pastry Shop. It's not Carlo's [breakaway]or the North End, but it's in the running.

It's actually easier for me to get to the Outlets in Wrentham. If anyone is planning extended visits to the Boston area, they should sign up through the premium outlets web site for VIP membership and print coupons for discounts for a couple of hotels, hoho trolley, museums, etc., it's a savings over what's offered by the ship.

I have to agree with those who pack a little extra as you can't anticipate drastic and sudden changes to the weather. That's probably why I have a collection of sweat shirts from all of the major cruise lines and their ships. I have NCL sweat shirts from ships they no longer have!

Darcy

Funny that you list Talbot's first because that's where I have worked for 23 years. (Corporate Offices are in Hingham)

I, too, have several sweatshirts from cruises but nothing from NCL, since this is my 1st. I'll have to pick one up on the ship.

I'll have to get over to Wrentham soon. Every time I drive by I say to myself "I have to stop there on the way home" but never do.

Thanks for the tips!

First of all, throw all the lists away you print off the internet. There is way to much junk. I don't need duct tape, shoe holders, post it notes, highlighters, powerstrips, my own hairdryer, etc, etc,

Don't overpack shirts, utilize mix and match, you don't need 5 pair of shoes, etc. Just think about it and it will work for you.

I have a spreadsheet that I use for all my planning. I figure out what I type of clothes I am going to need for each day of the trip. Long pants, shorts, polo shirt, nice dressy shirt,etc. I tend to plan on wearing pants two or three times and I whatever shirt I wore for dinner the night before becomes my "day" shirt the next day. I then just count the number of pants and shirts and I am done. Have a seven day spreadsheet always ready and then another one for longer cruises. It works for me though some folks on my rollcalls made fun of me and my spreadsheets! LOL

I so enjoy seeing those beautiful women who are the height of style, sophistication and comfort and with only a change of a scarf to an outfit. It may have something to do with confidence rather than clothing.

I'm still trying to master that one and lighten my suitcase!!!

My motto is when in doubt...take it all!!! :eek: lol I like options and I'm an over packer. :p

I'm with you!! :D I don't necessarily overpack but I pack at least 7 different tops and 7 different bottoms...sometimes a couple extra in case my mood changes. ;)

Hi! I'm an overpacker too! My weakness is shoes. My last trip I had 8 pairs and I only wore half of them, but I like options and I couldn't make up my mind! DH gave up and told me to pack it all.

Cruiser52888, mabones and xodezi --I'm on the same ship with you all. We're celebrating our 10th anniversary. Sounds like we're going to have some fun people on the ship with us!

Nicole

Hi! I'm an overpacker too! My weakness is shoes. My last trip I had 8 pairs and I only wore half of them, but I like options and I couldn't make up my mind! DH gave up and told me to pack it all.

Cruiser52888, mabones and xodezi --I'm on the same ship with you all. We're celebrating our 10th anniversary. Sounds like we're going to have some fun people on the ship with us!

Nicole

That's awesome! Are you doing the M&G??

Packing is a very personal thing. When I say that, I don't mean personal in a private way. I mean each person is different. If you spend your sea days lounging by the pool, in the hottubs, etc, you won't need as many clothes but be sure to pack at least 2-3 swimsuits (nothing worse than putting on a cold wet/damp one). Same goes for if your excursions are centered around water.

And what another person doesn't need, I may. For instance, many don't feel the need for the shoe organizers but we do - there are 3 of us (one being a preteen) and they are invaluable. I have one for the bathroom and one for the cabin. We also take a power strip. Not everyone needs one, but with all the electronics that come w/3 people, it's our need.

As far as color schemes go, I don't really do that. I wear cool colors so all my stuff really goes together. I wear solid tops and either solid or print bottoms. And I will always bring all the shoes I feel necessary. We will send out laundry once or so.

Archived