Cabin for 3 Anyone Ahoy There!

juliepaule

Hello you sea folks.

Sun Princess April 7, 2006. We have booked a cabin for 3 (sisters). We are already thinking about what to pack. My question is this... does any know anything as to what these cabin look like. They are at the stern of the ship and the Sun Princess appears to have only 8 cabins available for 3 people. We were lucky to get this booking as 2 weeks ago the we were on stand by. Imagine 11 months before the cruise.

Any pictures for these cabins would be great.

Thank you

Julie

The Sun has several dozen cabins that will accomodate 3 passengers, but very few that accomodate 4.

As Coral posted, if you post the cabin number you booked, that will help steer you in the right direction of pictures or descriptions of your stateroom.

Julie - when you said the cabin was at the stern - I thought it faced the aft (these are minisuites and suites).

Your cabin is towards the stern (balcony cabin). The best way to show you this cabin is to direct you to a 360 view of a sister ship. The Oceana used to be the Ocean Princess and is a near sister to the Sun.

Click on this website:

http://www.pocruises.co.uk/

Click on "our ships" on left hand column and then "oceana".

Next, on the top, click "Cabins". Under select cabins - select "Family cabin" - this is what they refer to as the quad and triple balconies. I have a friend who had a similar cabin on the Sun and hated this layout of a cabin because there really are no beds. There is a bench/couch and everything else folds out from the wall. For some reason, the balconies are like this but the inside and outside triples are not.

I will email my friend and have her post. As long as you are OK with the layout, you will be fine but it was a bit of a surprise to her and it was not her preference compared to balcony and quad cabins on the Grand class ships.

We are really going to have to get additional information about this cabin.

According to the Princess brochure (Sun) it does state 2 twin beds that do not go together to make a Queen size bed. So I thought that there would be an additional bunk bed. You know the one that that folds away.

I am going to email my TA this very minute... She is away on holidays but she can easily pursue this when she gets back in a week.

It so tight and good grief how can anyone move around. Or have a snooze.

Of course we will not be in the cabin very much.

Thank you so very much for the heads up..... AND UP.... and Up (joke here)

Julie

Can we see a view of these cabin for PRINCESS somewhere?

Julie,

I'm who Coral was referring to who has sailed in one of these cabins on the Sun Princess. This cabin almost ended our sailings with Princess. If someone has not sailed in one of the Sun Class cabins for 3/4 with a baloncy, they have no idea what the cabin configuration is like. I've seen comments that all the balcony cabins on these ships are the same, but believe me, they are NOT! It has to be the most uncomfortable cabin we have ever been in, and it was for 12 days.

What you will find when you open the door is, there are no actual beds. We thought at first that it was a mistake and they had put us in a storage closet type of room. All of the beds fold out of the wall. There is a long narrow couch type thing, but it was unuseable do to the fact that it was the only place in the cabin to put our luggage. When the beds are folded out of the wall it is just a narrow walkway through the cabin to the balcony area or the table and chair.

I hate to sound so negative, but because of this cabin, we have never gone back to that ship again. Have to laugh when it says the beds can't be put in a queen configuration!!! DUH, there are no beds to even push together. Don't know why their booklets don't explain these rooms. There are so very few 3/4 person rooms on these ships with balcony's, and they are all the same. I did a lot of research when we got back and found this out, so even though there are itineraries I would love to go on, we just won't do it until it is just my husband and myself sailing.

Also, these cabins have the smallest bathrooms I have ever seen on a ship. I got food poisioning on the last formal night, so I know how close the toilet is in relation wtih the sink, and needless to say, it was very, very close.

I really hate to sound so negative about it, but I do want you to know ahead of time before you get in a room that you would really hate. I liked the ship, but the room was so horrible that it really turned me off these ships. We only go for the larger ones now that all have the same type of cabins. The Island and the Coral have rooms like the Grand class and they are fine.

Good luck with your decision.

Susan

Even the balcony cabins that have the regular beds are quite small on the Sun Class. We had one on the Dawn and it was the cruise that convinced my DH that if we couldn't afford a mini suite on the Sun Class, we wouldn't sail. Great for me, bad for the wallet though. :( There were just two of us in a balcony cabin and one of us had to climb across the bed if we were passing each other at the end of the beds, just not much room at all in them as the balcony counts towards the square footage of the cabin. Smallest cabin with a balcony we have ever had in our lives.

Best of Luck, I hope you can upgrade the three of you to a mini suite where you will have more space.

Julie - I just wanted to add that I have sailed the Sun Princess 2x and the ship is great. It is just strange how they configured the triple/quad balcony cabins.

I have looked for Princess pictures and can't find any (I wonder why?) but Hulagirl will confirm that this is exactly what the cabin looked like on the Sun Princess.

Now what do I do. Just booked it yesterday with the deposit.

I email Princess cruises and asked them about our cabin to confirm the square footage and where the beds are. Wait and See.

I know that a mini suite will be quite a bit more $$. But there must be some

balcony cabins for 3 out there somewhere beside the closet on A732. If that is what it is.

I guess with the weekend I will not get an answer until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Not to wory though no $ lost if we upgrade or even cancel the booking. At least I do not think so. Its only been a week since we booked.

Thanks for you help. And I will keep my fingers crossed. This cabin was not cheap. It was up there in price.

Julie

http://www.princess.com/ships/sp/room/A732.html

Seems like their are actual beds to me...

Unfortunately - Princess is using the same desciption and pict5ures for double rooms as quad rooms. Definitley check with Princess because there have been MANY reports of people with quad balcony cabins on the Sun Class who think they are getting a cabin simililar to the Grand class ships.

That is not at all what the room will look like. The picture from the link above does not at all represent what the room on the Sun Princess will look like. As Coral said, there have been other's who have come back and reported about these rooms too. Like I said, if someone hasn't been in one of these rooms, they have no idea what it is like. Even Princess can tell you it has beds in the room, but it won't. The people on the other end of the phones just read from a book and don't always know the answers either.

Good luck on your decision. I just know for me, I will never sail in one of those cabins again.

Susan

http://www.princess.com/ships/sp/room/A732.html

Seems like their are actual beds to me...

Thanks But I am not certain about this explanation. Cabin A732 is for a 3 and 4 person as it says in the brochure and their little codes of dots and what not.

If there are 2 full beds and then 2 fold aways. Then that would be o.k. But it must be the sames size as the regulard cabins for 2 179 square feet including the balcony. We are not going to be happy with a closet.

I just hope they could actually show us a the cabin period.

I am still considering a Mini suite. But if the price is right. I have asked for an upgrade to that. Lets see.

Gosh this is really scary. How can anyone accept this kind of cabin. Of course 3 single guys would love it.

Susan you are so right. The pictures may not be this cabin. What was your cabin number and you did say you sailed on the the Sun?

thanks for you help...... keep it coming.

Julie

I think the Sun Princess is an older ship by cruise industry standards. It's 10 years old and the newer ships are not built with this little closet cabins. Maybe try sailing on the Diamond or Saphire for your next cruise and this won't be an issue.

Hopefully you get your mini-suite.

Happy cruising :)

Julie,

I really hate to scare you about this room. I just know it wasn't a room we would ever consider again. I can't remember exactly if we were on Aloha or Baja deck in the room. But both decks have the same identical rooms above and below each other. We were just on the opposite side of the hall than you will be. I remember going through the locks in the canal and being starboard on the ship. The four back rooms on both sides are the same configuration exactly.

The fold out beds are the length of the cabin and are not beds that go cross ways in the room. You walk into the room and the closet is on the right side. Then on the left will be this narrow couch thing that is length of the room with the small dresser by the window. That is all you see. A blank wall is where the 2 beds fold out (bunk style) and the other bed that comes out of the wall is above the couch. Both my husband and daughter climbed the ladders into their beds. The couch had to be used to store our suitcases, so it was basically unuseable to even sit on. I wish I had a picture to scan in and show you. Don't even think we took a single picture of the room.

This is something we really looked into when we came back from that cruise. Took this cruise in 1999 and were booked on the Grand Princess before we left. When we got back I went straight to my new TA's office so she could find out what the rooms were like on that ship. We were going to cancel the cruise if it was the same. This was when we found out that the Sun class ships (at that time) had the same configurations for these few rooms on their ships.

Hopefully the mini suite comes through for you. They are so nice on these ships and give you so much room. It would be like night and day in comparison.

Susan

Hello you sea folks.

Sun Princess April 7, 2006. We have booked a cabin for 3 (sisters).

Hi Julie, I can't answer your question but I just wanted to say Hi because I am in Brampton too! (near the City Centre) :D

Susan,

I have spoken to Princess this morning. They confirm a twin bed, 1 pull out couch and 2 ceilling bunks. And much smaller cabin was confirmed really not suitable for 3 seniors.

Well, well, I am cancelling this. I am calling Sears Travel as we speak. We are not going to spend close to 2500.00 Canadian each to live in a closet.

Hope they can give us a Mini suite. But if not.

We will have to look else where. Royal Caribbean may have and 8 day cruise out of San Juan that has the ports we want to visit.

Will keep you posted.

ta ta for now

Brampton Buddy, we should meet for coffee some time.

Julie

Julie,

I'm sorry this cruise didn't work for you, but so glad you asked about the cabin. If they even told you there was one twin bed they were wrong. Like I said, just one thin couch and the 3 beds all fold out of the wall. You virtually walk into the room and there isn't a bed in sight.

Hopefully the mini suite will be available. We have sailed in full suites on the other ships and the mini's on the Sun are basically the same as those full suites. There is so much room and they are very comfortable. I think Toto said that the mini suite was the only category she would consider on these ships now also, and I'm in total agreement. We haven't even looked into this type of room because the price always seems so high. But if there are 3 of you splitting the cost, it hopefully won't be that much higher. I'm certainly hoping for you.

Glad you asked about this room. Especially if as you say it if for 3 "seniors". Would really hate to see any of you climbing a ladder to get into one of those beds, or climbing down the ladder. I don't do well with ladders at all, and could see this being a nightmare.

Do let us know what happens with your future cruise. So glad you knew ahead of time what you would have been getting into here. Thank goodness for these boards.

Good Luck!

Susan

juliepaule-I just did a quick search for the Sun Princess for your sailing. There are several AB and AC minis available and through the online site I checked, they would run approximately $7900 Canadian total for the three of you. Which isn't much more than you are paying right now.

Best of Luck, I hope you are able to get this changed. Just keep in mind that the AC minis are on the side of the Sun Class ships with a very narrow and long balcony where the AB's are on the aft with larger balcony. But the AB's do run a bit more. They also are set up more like the Vista Suites on the larger ships with a two room bathroom with sink and stool in one room and shower and jacuzzi tub in the other (with a door inbetween). Much nicer for 3 ladies traveling together.

Again, best of luck.

Yep, its me again.

I called Princess again to get a clear answer as to what was in this infamous A732.

Quote 1 twin bed (not a slim or long couch)

2 bunks (off the wall or off the ceiling they could not tell me)

1 love seat couch that open for a 4th bed.

So if we draws straws as to who get the bed, the other 2 can use the bunks and we will not have to open the couch. But we are sure gon na have to keep our rooms tidy.

So this is what they said this time. I spoke to my sister and they really want this cruise because of the ports. We find 7 nights to quick. It goes by so fast. The 10 nights was just what we were looking for.

Hey there TOKO Mini suite sounds like heaven......

The MIMI at 7900.00 is still quite high for us. We still have to pay 450.00 Canadian for the air fare. So it would bring it close to 3000.00 each plus.

It comes out to about 360.00 more per person for the Mini suite. It does look like its the way to go. But money is the quesiton.

I will wait to see what the email to Princess gives us. Would be nice if they offered us old seniors a deal.

I will keep you posted.

many thanks

Julie

Quote 1 twin bed (not a slim or long couch)

2 bunks (off the wall or off the ceiling they could not tell me)

1 love seat couch that open for a 4th bed.

Julie

Julie - I would relook at the link I gave you above. That is exactly how the room will look. The Oceana used to be the Ocean Princess and the room is identical to how the rooms are on the other sister ships (Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess). If you are cool with that room, then go ahead with it. I would point you to a link off of Princess' website but there isn't any.

The people on the phone read from a script and have not actually seen these rooms. Sometimes the descriptions are sort of vague and they have to put things in categories - for example, that slim long couch is what they are referring to as the love seat. The twin bed is going to fold down from the wall (but will be lower because there will be another bed above that folds down).

I don't mean to scare you - I just want you to know the person you spoke with has never seen these rooms.

I personally would book the minisuite.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Julie!!!!!

What they told you is wrong and Coral is right. You need to look at the site she gave you. There is absolutely no love seat in that room. Not enough room for one. The 3 beds do fold out of the wall, there is no other way. There is the long slim couch like I told you and you will definitely need that for storing your suitcases. There is no bed to store anything under. I really hate to see you with this room. Be prepared, two of you will have to climb ladders to get to your bunks, there is no other way. Do look at the picture from the P&O website. The person at Princess has no idea what this room really looks like. When I booked it, the people at Princess told my TA they could push the beds together to make a queen. What a joke, there are no beds to push anywhere.

Really I'm sorry you will be in one of these rooms. I'm 51 and would not climb up one of those ladders for anything and wouldn't have 6 years ago in my middle 40's. Just not limber enough to manuever it when you are almost at the ceiling.

Good luck with this.

Susan

Oh gosh, now I'm getting paranoid about my cabin on CB for an October sailing -- it is also a "quad" balcony cabin. :eek: Can someone please tell me what the difference is on the Grand class ships? I have C535 - Caribe balcony. There are only 2 of us, but we were told by the Princess rep that this is a great room - bigger balcony and in the middle of the ship. Should I try and change mine?

Juliepaule, so sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with the others - $360 is a lot of money, but I think it would be worth it for the mini-suite on a 10 day cruise. Best of luck to you!

Buzz

Archived