Simply the Best! Allure of the Seas E. Caribbean March 3rd-10th with pics!!

Missy,

I came on here this morning and this was the first thread I went too!! Love it!!

BTW, I read someone earlier mentioned why you weren't in the same room as your boyfriend. I think it shows a ton of maturity and class that A) you don't care B) you're with his family and grandparents so out of respect it's the right thing to do!!

NOW GET BACK TO POSTING!!!

Rated: Yes I did like that we were separated from each other. It made seeing each other for dinner and other activities that much more special. Glad you're enjoying it!

akcruz: So glad you're enjoying it! Its been so much fun writing it and I cannot wait to share more with you all.

Should have more posted later this afternoon! Got lots to do today plus I'm recovering from an allergic reaction scare I had last night and I wanna make sure my post is as good as it can be! talk to you soon friends!

<3 Missy <3

I agree with everyone's feedback here, great review Missy!! Although many great reviews are posted here and all very detailed and interesting, it's not everyday you have someone post about his/her first experience in these places, on the ship, etc.

For me personally, it brought back how it felt being on my first island, walking onto the ship the first time, etc. Really really entertaining thread. Good job. :cool:

Chapter 7: Starbucks, Setbacks, and a dinner debacle.

After completing a really relaxing nap, I had some time to kill before I needed to get ready for dinner. Tonight was the first formal night of the cruise so I needed extra time to look extra special.

I had come across this beautiful gem upon boarding the ship and I was itching to try it out!

DSCF4479_zpsa56b8190.jpg

A girl NEVER says no to Starbucks.

I grabbed a cake pop snack and munched on it while taking a stroll through the Royal Promenade. I liked that it felt just like I was walking through a very modern shopping mall. My eyes were still wide as saucers as I took in the environment. Its really fun to do some people watching on the Promenade because you'll see all types. Some were already dressed up fancy for dinner where others were still in comfy pants, shorts, and flip flops.

I left the camera in the stateroom so I was unable to snag some shots this time but vowed to do so on my next trip downstairs.

I headed upstairs to find that Sandy, Holly, and Sara were all preparing for dinner. And like the previous morning, getting ready was tight. But tonight it seemed a little more cramped than normal. After about 2 hours worth of primping and prepping, we were ready to head out for pictures before dinner. Rob picked me up as usual and I couldn't help but drool at how handsome he looked in his suit. We headed back down to the Promenade and got a couple shots at some of the pre set up back drops.

**TIP: If wanting to grab formal shots by the photographer during the formal night, I've found that it helps to do one of three things

1. Leave for your dinner seating early, check on the Cruise Compass (the daily newsletter that will be delievered to your stateroom each night or obtain one at guest services) as of to when the Captain has his welcome reception. There is complimentary champagne and you can meet the captain. Makes for a great memory/photo op.

2. Leave early for your dinner seating (depending on what time you're scheduled for) and snag pictures before it gets too crowded. Often times we went between the first dinner seating and ours and found that the lines were extremely long for some locations.

3. Snag your photos after dinner. There's usually a photographer set up outside the dining room. When other guests are headed to bed or to evening activities, you can get your photos then (and usually pretty quickly).

After photos had been taken and we had waded our way through the crowd, we met up with the group at the dining room. Tonight seemed to be a bit more than elegant than most nights.

For dinner, I selected my usual, Royal Shrimp Cocktail and for the main course, pork chops served with mushrooms and a gravy like sauce with steamed veggies.

While waiting for dinner I recieved a very wonderful surprise to my table....

DSCF4570_zpsb1ee6462.jpg

Rob had purchased roses for me! I was so shocked that it brought tears to my eyes. There were six roses for the six months we had been together. I was touched! He always knows how to put a smile on my face.

Not long after my roses and appetizers arrived, the main course was served.

DSCF4572_zps9b88033c.jpg

The pork chop was perfectly soft and moist and the sauce was very tasty as well. The veggies had a garlic flavoring to them and were quite tasty!

Now to desert.....this is where the debacle happens.

On the first night of our cruise, the head waiter came to our table and asked if anyone had any dietary restrictions. I mentioned that I had a peanut allergy but was able to manage it quite well. They made note of it and I thanked them for that.

On this particular night, they were serving the chocolate cake. I was SO excited for this as I had checked out the menu that afternoon on our in stateroom television (more on that later ;)). Our waitress came around and took our orders and I had stated that I wanted the chocolate cake. Her face fell. She replies "oh I'm sorry but, you cannot have the chocolate cake."

I was baffled.

So I asked why.

She stated that it COULD have nuts in it and would be hazordous. NOw mind you, I'm allergic to peanuts [which are a bean]. Cashews, almonds, and anything of the like, I can have to eat with no problem. I was very deflated and frustrated. She then said "I'll bring you two things". I was doubtful.

Of course just about everyone at the table ordered the chocolate cake and I took a look at it and there were NO NUTS....

Our waitress returns and she brings out a mango flavored sponge cake which was not the greatest [not a huge mango fan and the sauce that was on it threw my tastebuds out]. The second choice was Greek yogurt and some sort of mango garnish [not a huge fan of greek yogurt/yogurt period. the texture kinda makes me gag]. I was disappointed but what could I do?

After dinner, we all went to the picture stations as Sandy wanted a whole group picture of all of us. It was quite funny to watch the photographer manage to squeeze all 14 of us into one photo space but he managed to do it. [the picture came out amazing! I'll have to scan it back in!]

Now for the setback. If you remember from the beginning of the review I had mentioned that I had had foot surgery on my left foot in December and my doctor had placed a pin in my foot. Well, I hadn't worn heels since before my surgery and the dress I wore called for heels. So as to be expected, my foot was pretty angry and swollen by the end of the night. The rest of the group was going to go dancing at Dazzles and I decided that my foot was much too swollen to attend so I left a bit deflated and headed back to the room.

My frown soon turned into a smile when I was greeted by this super adorable puppy as courtesy of our room steward Rudy

DSCF4575_zps46f97d2d.jpg

Everyone smiles at a towel animal!

I headed off to bed to dream about tomorrow, our first actual sea day!!! I was so excited!!! But boy was I in for an interesting time...

And that my friends is...

DSCF4573_zps5edc3115.jpg

Missy...

oh girlfriend where to begin..your enthusiasm and talent for adjectives makes your stories all the more fun. I am venturing on the allure May 5th of this year and im so excited I literally think I wont be able to sleep the whole week before. Thanks for making such complete and detailed posts. After all the research and videos of the ship, your post have gave me more insight than any other thing I have read! Hope to see more soon! I too am a military fiancé :) He just came back from Afghanistan this month, so were ready for a vacation!

Missy...

oh girlfriend where to begin..your enthusiasm and talent for adjectives makes your stories all the more fun. I am venturing on the allure May 5th of this year and im so excited I literally think I wont be able to sleep the whole week before. Thanks for making such complete and detailed posts. After all the research and videos of the ship, your post have gave me more insight than any other thing I have read! Hope to see more soon! I too am a military fiancé :) He just came back from Afghanistan this month, so were ready for a vacation!

thank you so much! I couldn't even sleep two weeks before the cruise I was so excited. I cannot wait til the day I cruise again on Allure (crossing fingers for this November), it was truly an experience in itself.

Thank your fiance for me! Mine was in Iraq from 2010-2011 [pre our relationship]. You guys will definitely enjoy your vacation. Truly very relaxing. what's your itinerary for your cruise? is this your first?

thank you so much! I couldn't even sleep two weeks before the cruise I was so excited. I cannot wait til the day I cruise again on Allure (crossing fingers for this November), it was truly an experience in itself.

Thank your fiance for me! Mine was in Iraq from 2010-2011 [pre our relationship]. You guys will definitely enjoy your vacation. Truly very relaxing. what's your itinerary for your cruise? is this your first?

Will do and thank yours for me! Nope..we have cruised just once before in 2011 on the monarch of the seas (smallest ship of RCCL). It was amazing and I got Cruise Fever! Wasnt able to do another cruise until now..and my fiancé picked the largest ship ever.. were going on a western itinerary:Labadee,Haiti (private island), Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico!! ugh I have already started because I too pack way to much..but hey, you never know what your gonna need...were girls for crying out loud!!

Precisely why I ended up taking a much larger suitcase in the end! Thought I would be a space saver and take a smaller bag but really glad that I didn't cause I was able to bring back souvenirs cause I had the room. Oh my I needed lots of clothes! It always helps to have enough.

Since I have a moment, thought that I would share some helpful tips for visiting ports of call on the cruises. Since we've covered the Bahamas so far I think I'll start there. I want to try and include these as a filler between trip entries to kinda keep the flow and keep things going.

Nassau, Bahamas

1. On a typical week day [even though it may be a tourist town], the shops open at around 930 or 10 AM depending on the venue. Depending on when your ship arrives in port (Allure had docked in the wee hours of the morning), disembarking early can put a damper on early morning shopping. But, it does offer an opportune time to explore the island. Its not very big and if not a whole lot is open, you kinda run out of options rather quickly.

2. Hair Braiding; In my honest opinion, just don't do it. They generally charge $3 per braid and they can put so many braids in your hair without letting you know how many and at that point you could have easily spent well over $100! Not to mention there's always the fear of picking up hair critters and the potential for tools and hands to be not so clean going from head to head all day long. Avoid if possible (and yes, they are all over the ports waiting for the opportunity to style you!)

3. Shopping: For first time cruisers to Nassau or the US Virgin Islands, there is this beautiful thing of no taxes on items that is truly a blessing while cruising. It made souvenir purchases so much easier and I wasn't having to carry around coinage all vacation. If you're looking to purchase COACH, MAC makeup, or even that cute little Fendi bag you've been wanting, Nassau's got it (in addition to the Coach store being available on board)! Use this port to snag some cosmetics that you weren't able to find at home if MAC is youe forte. Also, there is an open air mall where some vendors have stalls set up and you can purchase bags, hats, shirts, and other novelties. Some of them don't mind negotiating and you can occasionally purchase a souvenir for a cheaper price than advertised.

4. Keep and eye on the time! This is probably the most important tip of them all and rang out through each port we visited. By doing this, you can make it back to the ship with decent time to spare and not have the constant worry of being left behind or hearing the ominous blow of the ships horn alerting you to run faster or be left behind. I had a watch programed to the ship's time so I could rely on that while in port if I was going to be a ways away from the ship.

5. Earlier is sometimes better. We learned that in the Bahamas we were able to get into the stores and down the streets early and not have to battle the throngs of our other fellow cruisers whom had started to flood the streets at about 11AM. This also made it super convenient getting back on the ship to enjoy the pool or even snag a bite to eat with little to no wait at all. We were even able to grab the coveted Windjammer Window Table (if you've cruised on any ship with a buffet that has window view tables, you know what I mean!). Much more quiet in the buffet plus peaceful.

Those were a few helpful tips for the Bahamas that I picked up on my sailing. If these are well received I will continue to post them. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

<3 Missy <3

very good review so far, Missy...I am enjoying it...will be on the Allure for the first time in October, although I have cruised before...you and Rob are a cute couple...and thanks to him for his service...looking forward to the rest of your review

Hey everyone, decided to continue my review. Got some time to kill until the boyfriend gets up to get ready for work and I have to get food ready!! All in the day in the life of a busy military girlfriend.

So I had a funny moment, I got up this morning to make my breakfast and I stood by the kitchen counter holding my plate waiting for someone to put food on it. *sigh* PCD has kicked in.

Chapter 3: Welcome Aboard!

Once we got into Port Everglades, we arrived curbside to luggage drop off. This seemed like a big mess. Luggage everywhere and people everywhere. In spite of it all, the porters did a great job in ensuring that everyone's luggage ended up in the correct places/spots. As anyone would do, I did look back occasionally trying to see if my bag had made it onto one of the trolleys, but alas, didn't see much.

Arriving into the cruise terminal felt like a college student arriving onto campus for the first time. It was HUGE. SO many people and lots of different lines to get us processed and registered for check in on the ship. We were smart, and printed our sign and sail documents and had them signed that morning at our hotel. All we had to do was give our credit cards for room charging and pose for our seapass pictures. Seapasses in hand and excitement in the air, we were off to get our first photo together. There were several stations for taking onboarding photos and several backdrops of the ship. It was very interesting to see the photographer's eyes grow wide as all 9 of us attempted to crowd into the small photography space. ((**Disclaimer: tried to take pictures in the cruise terminal but was so excited that it just didn't happen. I'm sorry friends!! I'm still kicking myself over that)).

After the photo was taken we headed to the second level of the terminal for that special moment: we were boarding the Allure of the Seas. My heart was racing a million miles a minute and I was so excited! I could hardly wait to get onboard and explore this AMAZING vessel. Walking onto the gangway seemed like it lasted forever. It went up and to the side and up some more. I was so wide eyed at my first view of the ship from the gangway. In fact, it kinda hurt my neck to peer up at her. We all stepped through the door and we were on the Royal Promenade. It was even better than the pictures!!! Tons of stores, restaurants, and staff members dressed in their neat uniforms greeting us and welcoming us. It not longer felt overwhelming, it felt sort of calming. I knew we were going to have the best service possible.

It was about 1230 at this point and we still had a little bit of time until our stateroom would be ready so we decided to head to Central Park to snag a bite to eat. Let me tell ya, BEWARE! This was one of the food venues open for lunch upon boarding and it was PACKED! It was very hard for all of us to snag a table but that was to be expected. We also decided to check out our options for drinks during our cruise. Rob and I are occasional social drinkers but we decided collectively that we were more concerned about having soft drinks and juice rather than alcohol. We purchased our soft drink package at a set up counter in Central Park and also got our souvenir mugs to be used with the Coke Freestyle machines located throughout the ship. We could also use the mugs at various bars located in the ship. The price was $6.50/per day totaling (with gratuities)= $52.33. Not bad for the entire cruise!!

After purchasing our drink mugs we headed back to Park Cafe to meet up with the group for our lunch. After waiting for about a few minutes, we got in and ordered our lunch. I had the Egg Salad sandwich with cheddar/sour cream chips and an Arnold Palmer. Ziggy decided to join us for lunch, he wanted to share with me.

DSCF4476_zps6e0de750.jpg

Buut Egg Salad wasn't his forte. So he politely declined and allowed me to shoot another shot of my lunch (sans Ziggy)

DSCF4477_zps8da1acad.jpg

(you can see the drink mug I got for my drink package in the background)

The egg salad was yummy though it felt like more ended up on my plate than inside my bread.

After lunch, we decided to explore the floors above Central Park and we wandered our way to my stateroom (Rob was in another stateroom down the hall and on the other side of the ship). Low and behold it was ready and our luggage was being delivered! Hurrah!!! Being so excited, I didn't snap many shots of the room but I did catch Ziggy out on our balcony catching a snooze...

IMG_1164_zps8f430d98.jpg

OH Ziggy....

None the less, the view was spectacular and beautiful both day and night.

DSCF4481_zpsb4120897.jpg

I could hardly believe that this was happening, even today it still feels like a dream.

Since our baggage had arrived, I proceeded to get out the decorations I had brought for our stateroom door. I picked up some cute little nic-nacs at Hobby Lobby the day before and was just ecstatic about how cute the door was going to look!!! After about 10 minutes of decorating...TAH DAH!!!

DSCF4483_zps69a698d6.jpg

Super cute!!! Pretty soon it was time to head to muster drill at our assigned station and then the fun could begin!!!

More soon!! Enjoy friends!!!

<3 Missy <3

I sail on the April 14th sailing and can't wait! Love your review so far and can't wait to read more! Thank you for putting this together!

Thank you for doing this review - it is ver good. Love it!;)

Thank you so much! Its been such a fun adventure writing the review.

Too funny....I get cruise fever with regularity all year long in between cruises!!!!!

I've got it really bad right now for our next one....I absolutely cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have PCD so bad today! Its gloomy and cold out here in the mitten and I really want to be in the Caribbean in St. Maarten so much!!!

Good afternoon friends!! Having a bit of a down day and what a better way to make me smile than to continue my review! Here we go!

Chapter 8: Check out my pineapple!!!

Today was our first actual full day at sea. I had looked forward to a sea day since we boarded the ship in Fort Lauderdale and it had finally come!

We had planned a relaxing afternoon by the pool and I was in luck, I would get to chill for the day in the Solarium. Sleeping in was bliss and I felt well rested and ready to get a jump on the day.

Sea days are wonderful because it gives you time to explore interesting facets of the ship. Also a great day to meet fellow cruisers as well. Now I had a bit of an uh oh moment that morning. The Cruise Critic meet and mingle was the morning of our first sea day and was scheduled for 9:30 AM at Dazzles dance club. Unfortunately, my bed in the stateroom was extra comfy this morning and as a result I slept in missing the meet and mingle (hey you can't win 'em all).

Not letting that get me down, Rob and I headed down to the Solarium to meet up with the boyfriends, sisters, and rest of the family. We were able to snag two beach chairs in order to join them on the deck. The weather was PERFECT! Nice and sunny and the ocean sparkled so beautifully.

After getting spots at the Solarium we decided to head to the Boardwalk to check out the drink of the day. Being the one to want to do the most touristy things on the cruise, I vowed to do two things

1. Get a coconut drink. Drink said drink out of the coconut.

2. Get a pineapple drink complete with an umbrella and drink said pineapple drink out of the pineapple.

The heavens opened up on the Boardwalk!

The drink of the day....was a pineapple. WITH AN UMBRELLA!!!!

I HAD to order one. It looked too delicious to pass up.

The pineapple came filled with your choice of delicious slush (they had several different choices) and rum (once again several different choices). I chose mango slush and citrus rum (yummy!). They loaded it into a cute pineapple complete with an umbrella and a straw. Total drink cost about $9. Totally worth it.

Happy as a clam and beaming, I literally frolicked back to the Solarium. Rob muttered several times about me being a typical tourist but I payed him no mind. I had a pineapple drink!

DSCF4579_zps9e2af718.jpg

My super delicious pineapple drink!

I was so ready to enjoy this day. The sun was shining and I had a pineapple drink. Life couldn't get any better.

**TIP: when in the Solarium, grab seats early on a sea day. They fill up quick! Admittedly, we didn't make it any better by being a rather large group of 14 on one deck but that's bound to happen at some point.**

Some shots in the Solarium:

DSCF4582_zpsa08d17c6.jpg

View from my chair.

DSCF4581_zpse37a1539.jpg

HAD to take one of these pictures to send home to the family.

After about an hour of relaxation, it was time for lunch. Since the Solarium had its own cafe, it made lunch today a breeze.

The Solarium Cafe typically serves super delicious and super healthy options. Since this was the case (and being that most kids that were at the Solarium had to be accompanied by an adult) there were very rarely any children in the Cafe so it made for getting through the buffet pretty easy (especially during the lunch time rush).

I decided to have a grilled chicken wrap with fresh spinach and carrots, steamed seasoned broccoli, fresh fruit, and grilled chicken breast. All were very tasty and did not disappoint. Definitely a must do on my next cruise!

DSCF4585_zps0b2265f3.jpg

Rob had hummus and pita bread for a snack and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend the cafe to those looking for a light lunch by the pool.

It was getting close to 3 and I had read in the Compass that morning that there was going to be a Flash Mob dance class on the Promenade and I really wanted to give it a try! Rob and I said goodbye to the family and made a brief stop at the room for me to drop off the beach bag and head to the dance class. While I was re doing my hair in the bathroom, I caught Ziggy taking a swig of my drink......

DSCF4588_zps233cfced.jpg

That pesky Ziggy! So that's where the last little sip of my drink went!!!

Finally, we were on our way to the flash mob dance class and the turn out wasn't too bad. We learned some basic dance steps and found out that there would be an actual flash mob on board the ship ( I don't want to give away too much because it was oodles of fun!) with the crew and some of the passengers on board. This was also an awesome way to meet other cruisers too. I made tons of friends!!! And had lots of fun in the process!

Doing all that dancing sure made me work up an appetite (yet again) so we headed to the Park Cafe. I was wanting to try the famous roast beef sandwhiches that I had heard so much about.

The sandwich was okay. Had a little but too much fat on the meat and was swimming in gravy so that made the bread a bit soggy. The chips, of course, were pretty tasty!

Not wanting to push it, I headed back to the room solo to get a nap in before the rest of the day's activities (I know, I get full and then want to sleep. Happens like clockwork with me!).

Up Next: Cafe Promenade and a surftastic adventure!

<3 Missy <3

I am loving this review. Your enthusiasm and enjoyment of your cruise is infectious! We don't leave for 5 weeks yet and now I really, really can't wait.

What do you do with the pineapple once the drink is gone? Do you cut it up and eat it or does it become to mushy? I'm gonna get my mitts on one of those.

Bad Ziggy! :( Alcohol is for adults and you look to be a bit young yet! :rolleyes:

Again, thanks for sharing this great review with us, I'm loving every post and looking forward to more. :):):)

OWD

I am loving this review. Your enthusiasm and enjoyment of your cruise is infectious! We don't leave for 5 weeks yet and now I really, really can't wait.

What do you do with the pineapple once the drink is gone? Do you cut it up and eat it or does it become to mushy? I'm gonna get my mitts on one of those.

Bad Ziggy! :( Alcohol is for adults and you look to be a bit young yet! :rolleyes:

Again, thanks for sharing this great review with us, I'm loving every post and looking forward to more. :):):)

OWD

Thank you! and yes Ziggy felt a smidge ashamed after drinking the forbidden beverage.

With the pineapple, mine was a bit too mushy once the drink was gone because it took me a bit to finish it. I should think that you could be able to get it cut into slices if you'd wish to consume it later.

I DEFINITELY recommend having the pineapple drink! It was supper delicious and had just the perfect balance of alcohol and slush. It was heaven!

Just taking a check, is everyone still around!? *gets into the crows nest and looks outward*

Happy Cruisin!

<3 Missy <3

P.S. Have a solo cruise coming up AND another cruise this fall! So excited if all goes well!! :D

Just taking a check, is everyone still around!? *gets into the crows nest and looks outward*

Nobody here but us Zebra lovers.

See the only trouble with your next cruise is that it isn't the Halloween cruise! You will be getting on when the fun group (us) are leaving.

Hi Missy! I'm still following along! I noticed a couple of pages back you asked if anyone else is going to have any critter's accompanying them on a cruise. As a matter of fact I just obtained a critter cruising mate for my next cruise in May. I am going on a cruiseline other than Royal with a strangely shaped smoke stack (I know, I know) but cruising from my hometown area without having to fly was too hard to pass up. Any how my cruising group is bringing Andy the Armadillo! I have not been able to take a picture of him yet but I'll show him to you when I do. :D

Lovin' your review and great photos. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Makes me wish my Allure cruise was just around the corner!! Want to be there now! You got to be on her and are now writing a fun review. I am jealous ... as Ziggy's pals would be, if they knew where he had just been!

Ziggy_zpsea602af5.jpg

Lovin' your review and great photos. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Makes me wish my Allure cruise was just around the corner!! Want to be there now! You got to be on her and are now writing a fun review. I am jealous ... as Ziggy's pals would be, if they knew where he had just been!

Ziggy_zpsea602af5.jpg

Oh! This is a great photo! I think Missy will get a huge laugh out of this post........:D