How walkable is Cadiz?

jackretired

• 1 month later...

Hi jackretired,

I'm not a wheelchair user, but I'll try to help!

Cadiz is probably one of the easiest ports to explore from the ship. The Plaza de Espana is very close by. The Ayuntamiento (the old town hall) is on a nice square (Plaza de San Juan de Dios) with cafes, probably a 10 min walk. The Plaza de la Catedral is probably another 5 minutes further on. We didn't find Cadiz to be particularly hilly. I know that there are some cobbles in places, such as the Plaza de la Catedral, which might be a bit hard going. I suspect that you'll have more problems with kerbs, steps, and cobbles than with inclines. If you wanted to go slightly further afield, the Cadiz HOHO bus has "Full mobility facilities - drop down ramps for collapsible / electric wheelchairs on all tour buses", according to the website. There is a stop just outside the exit from the cruise terminal. The Cadiz tourist office might be able to help, and it is also very near to the cruise terminal, on the way to the Plaza de San Juan de Dios. The official Cadiz tourism website is here.

I hope this has been of some help. We didn't eat out so can't advise on that. Cadiz is a lovely place and I hope you enjoy your visit. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For those wanting to do the walking tours....they have maps and information at the Travel Center across the street from the cruise port.

They have four different paths and are easily marked with the color that leads you the way. They recommended to us to start with Purple since it takes you in the old section of town and very fun to walk around. Then we took Orange which they said is the most scenic and was along the water with lots of very nice parks.

As said earlier, it is an extremely walkable city and you will be able to find cafes right across from the terminal or can wander ever so slightly into the walking town and find many there too. Have a great time.

Cathy

This is a photo I took of the Monumento a la Constitución de 1812 in the Plaza de España.

8689565461_c3ea268bab_c.jpg

You can see Independence of the Seas in the photo (bottom right). She was at the Estación Marítima at the time.

This is the Catedral de Cádiz. You may just be able to make out some cobbles!

8689404059_1eb7c67712_c.jpg

Archived