Luggage Tags

I wasn't too happy with the decision about the luggage tags. I always enjoyed when they showed up. However, last week I arrived at Port Everglades with no tags as I was not about to do all this printing and laminating stuff. It was no big deal. The porters are obviously used to people not having tags now. I told him that I had none and he said... No problem. Just let me see your set sail pass so that I get all of the information straight. He was very polite and our luggage showed up in our cabin like it was supposed to.

Someone would really change cruise lines over this issue?

It is amusing to see people proclain that they are leaving a cruisline over minor stuff like the elimination of printed and mailed luggage tags. :confused: Notice these folks do not complain about cruise prices remaining relatively stable over the years. :eek: To maintain price levels without comprimising revenue cuts are inevitable. If you want the same luxury cruise experience of years gone by, it is out there for two times the price or more. Oh you don't want to pay extra? Gee what a surprise! :rolleyes:

Oh boy!!!!!! LOL

Was briefly disappointed when I first had to print my own tags, until I realized that if I wanted to bring 40 bags with me, I COULD PRINT 40 TAGS FOR THEM. The power was intoxicating. Have not yet done so, since with great printing power comes great luggage responsibility. And potential back pain.

Once, I waited too long to print and had all access to documents, including luggage tags, cut off and subsequently had to get them from a porter. It was the fastest our bags have ever arrived in our stateroom. I think they might have beaten us to the room that day! Might have been coincidence, but I was tempted to do the porter tags every trip. The planner in me will not allow that to happen, though. ;)

We kind of miss getting the luggage tags in the mail as well but we've gotten a few luggage tag holders from Favors by Serendipity. This will be the 3rd cruise that we use them. They look pretty good. We just print the edocs luggage tag page on both sides of white card stock wt 110 paper, cut to size, and place in the clear tag holders. With the thick paper, we don't even have to deal with folding anything... we just cut.

It's really not that difficult and it's sure not worth leaving Royal Caribbean over. Below are what our luggage tags for our next cruise coming up look like for both my wife and me.

_ri?xu1=OdwtzCYKw2s5Jgc1MqczuP4KX9

Tim

I think with some folk the idea of receiving something in the mail (i.e. luggage tags) is part of the cruise experience. However, from a corporate stand point it requires expensive printers, ink, payroll to print them and put in the mail plus tons of postage. When your are operating a fleet of ships with hundreds of sailings and thousand of passengers this become a very expensive operation. Yes, its a nice luxury, but really unnecessary. When you can now just print out a tags via PDF on your computer, fold it over and staple to your luggage look how much resources and time you save. If you want to get fancy you can laminate them or stick them in nice plastic holds, etc. If you don't want to do that, nice luggage tags are available at the pier. Remember, luggage tags are only use to direct your bags from the pier to your stateroom. Once you have your luggage the tags are "thrown away." I'd rather have the cruise lines cut the luggage tags rather then the actual on board experience.

We kind of miss getting the luggage tags in the mail as well but we've gotten a few luggage tag holders from Favors by Serendipity. This will be the 3rd cruise that we use them. They look pretty good. We just print the edocs luggage tag page on both sides of white card stock wt 110 paper, cut to size, and place in the clear tag holders. With the thick paper, we don't even have to deal with folding anything... we just cut.

It's really not that difficult and it's sure not worth leaving Royal Caribbean over. Below are what our luggage tags for our next cruise coming up look like for both my wife and me.

Tim

Those look great. I was at t luggage store during my lunch break. The store had small tough plastic holders that would be too small for the tags in their original size, but - as the shopkeeper suggested - I can shrink the tags down to fit when printing.

I have done this several times and it is easy peasy!

I have these and used them my last cruise. Again no problem.

The irony is that because I fly in a day early for a cruise I never put the cruise luggage tags on until I am leaving the hotel for the pier in the morning. The easiest thing is probably to wait until I get to the pier and have a porter do it.

The only downside of not receiving luggage tags in the mail is not being able to do the document dance.

Wait, I'm not the only one who does that dance??? :)

Just before our recent Celebrity cruise, I called them to ask if they were still mailing out luggage tags, and the reply was, "For now we are," which leads me to believe that Celebrity, too, will be doing away with this. Hey, this is the real world now, and I can't fault the cruise lines or coming up with a way to save a lot of money. It's certainly not a deal breaker for me, or for most people.

Tim

Did your luggage tags come with your names printed on them, or did you do that? My DH sent them through the printer again and put our names on them.

Printing the luggage tags does not affect me at all. When they stopped sending out the document book, now that got to me. But it still was not enough to stop cruising on my favorite line.

I will have to look for the tag holders. Never even thought of it!!! Oh the things we learn on Cruise Critic!! :)

Tim

Tim, thanks for the 101 class in affixing luggage tags. Great idea.

Dean

Printing the luggage tags does not affect me at all. When they stopped sending out the document book, now that got to me. But it still was not enough to stop cruising on my favorite line.

I will have to look for the tag holders. Never even thought of it!!! Oh the things we learn on Cruise Critic!! :)

I just ordered luggage tag holders online from Favors by Serendipity. I tried to post the link, but the powers that be here on CC wouldn't let me : (

I think I was born lacking the gene that makes me care about luggage tags. When they used to send them automatically, I usually forgot them. When you could request them, I never did. Now they aren't offered, and I don't care.

I hand the porter my two bags, show him the room number, watch him write in on the tag, hand him a fiver and I'm on my merry way.

I can't imagine ordering luggage tag holders, printing them up, and on and on....

Hey, if that is something you ENJOY doing, great! But I'll just leave it to the porters.

As for the OP, he (or she) is either joking, or seriously missing the forest for the trees....

Did your luggage tags come with your names printed on them, or did you do that? My DH sent them through the printer again and put our names on them.

If you’re interested, these are the steps I use for the luggage tags...

• Print the luggage tag page from the edocs.
  • Scan the printed page, and then use the adobe reader (we have Adobe Reader X) to display the luggage tag.
  • Use the “Sign, add text...” icon, click “Add Text”, set the cursor on the line under “Guest Name” and type in your name.
  • We then use the heavy card stock wt 110 paper to print the updated .pdf file on.
  • After the first side is printed, take the page out of the out tray, flip it over, put it back in the in tray and print again.
  • Cut the luggage tag in half right above the blue Royal Caribbean logo. Discard the top half of the tag.
  • Cut the rest of the tag to size and place in the luggage tag holder.

You’ll have a nice luggage tag with your name and all pertinent information on both sides of the tag. Because of the heavy card stock, there is no need for folding... just cutting to size.

You can skip a couple steps above if you don't want to include your name on the luggage tag.

I’ve used Adobe for years and until the end of last year, I had no idea you could actually add text to a .pdf file. If you already know this, sorry for the detailed explanation but it was all new to me so I thought I would share. As I mentioned, everybody does their luggage tags differently now that Royal doesn’t mail them anymore. This will be our 3rd cruise setting up the luggage tags this way and we’re happy with them.

Tim

I'm a mere Emerald.

Please promise me that when I get to Diamond I won't lose sight of the really important things..... and that the trivial will pass me by.

I doc dance when the edocs arrive..... I love printing off my own tags and playing with the folds and then popping them in my own holder.

I have no idea what it would take for me to abandon a cruise line but it would have to be something really really bad.

Linda, I promise that I can still focus on the important things...

Even as a diamond, I doc dance....

I have ordered luggage tag holders from right here at Cruise Critic that will fit RCCL tags perfectly...

I am not bothered by printing out my tags, as we are now in the age of e-docs for everything.....

The two things as a diamond that drove me to sample other lines was losing my "gift (gone forever)", and no beer at the diamond event (since resolved). But I am back, but now know that I am also happy sailing on Celebrity or Princess when the kids are not with us.

We ordered tag holders from amazon. They are made for RCCL tags. I typed in Royal Caribbean luggage tag holders. It was around $20 for 8 of them that are reusable. Will be trying them for the first time in a few weeks. So far I really like them. Print the tags out, fold as directed, and they fit perfectly.

If you’re interested, these are the steps I use for the luggage tags...

• Print the luggage tag page from the edocs.
  • Scan the printed page, and then use the adobe reader (we have Adobe Reader X) to display the luggage tag.
  • Use the “Sign, add text...” icon, click “Add Text”, set the cursor on the line under “Guest Name” and type in your name.
  • We then use the heavy card stock wt 110 paper to print the updated .pdf file on.
  • After the first side is printed, take the page out of the out tray, flip it over, put it back in the in tray and print again.
  • Cut the luggage tag in half right above the blue Royal Caribbean logo. Discard the top half of the tag.
  • Cut the rest of the tag to size and place in the luggage tag holder.

You’ll have a nice luggage tag with your name and all pertinent information on both sides of the tag. Because of the heavy card stock, there is no need for folding... just cutting to size.

You can skip a couple steps above if you don't want to include your name on the luggage tag.

I’ve used Adobe for years and until the end of last year, I had no idea you could actually add text to a .pdf file. If you already know this, sorry for the detailed explanation but it was all new to me so I thought I would share. As I mentioned, everybody does their luggage tags differently now that Royal doesn’t mail them anymore. This will be our 3rd cruise setting up the luggage tags this way and we’re happy with them.

Tim

It's easier than that. Just download my luggage tag tool from http://www3.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags

It can add names to the tags without scanning or any other steps. If you're cutting the tags out to laminate or use in tag holders it can also optionally combine 4 tags onto one page (which saves paper, especially if you're using heavy card stock).

It's easier than that. Just download my luggage tag tool from http://www3.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags

It can add names to the tags without scanning or any other steps. If you're cutting the tags out to laminate or use in tag holders it can also optionally combine 4 tags onto one page (which saves paper, especially if you're using heavy card stock).

Wow! Just downloaded and used that luggage tag software to try it out. That is so much easier to add a name to the bag compared to what I was doing. I've just eliminated the first 3 bullets I had above.

Because of the size of my luggage holders, I still can only use the page with one luggage tag instead of the one with 4 luggage tags. I just need to use the heavy paper, print both sides, and cut to fit. Thank you so much.

Tim

Edit: Just wanted to repeat... using your luggage tag tool is so much easier than the way I was doing it. Again, thanks for sharing.

I wasn't too happy with the decision about the luggage tags. I always enjoyed when they showed up. However, last week I arrived at Port Everglades with no tags as I was not about to do all this printing and laminating stuff. It was no big deal. The porters are obviously used to people not having tags now. I told him that I had none and he said... No problem. Just let me see your set sail pass so that I get all of the information straight. He was very polite and our luggage showed up in our cabin like it was supposed to.

Someone would really change cruise lines over this issue?

Just wanted to point out that there is no "laminating" needed; if you fold them as indicated on the paper, they are pretty sturdy, no need to do anything but fold and staple them onto the bag. I guess if we start hearing horror stories of paper tags littering the pier area and bags not making it to the room, then I'll get worked up, but i'm usually in favor of cost cutting measures that keep my cruise price low for little effort on my part!

The page as printed (print multiple copies for multiple bags):

881968_10200634807650457_2066099065_o.jpg

A few seconds later folded:

857599_10200634807610456_1842998923_o.jpg

Another 10 seconds to staple it onto the bag:

860505_10200634807010441_192403429_o.jpg

Just ordered your luggage tags. Thanks again....but brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:eek:;)

Dean

Archived