Alaska Shore Excursions for 10 and 16 yo boys - private or ship tours?

A&Jfamily

We are planning on Princess Seattle/Alaska (probably Tracy Arm) in 2014 with our two boys, then 16 and 10. I see that the ships offer TONS of excursions, making it almost impossible to choose. Also, I have found that private excursions can save you money and get you better sightseeing, views etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Skagway, Juneau and Ketchican for my family either ship sponsored or private? What are the must-do's or best bang for your buck tours out there?

This is our first trip to Alaska, and I am sure not my last, but it may be our one shot as a family for quite some time.

I appreciate any help you can give!

I would ask this on the Alaska boards.

Private vs ship comes down to convenience and price offering.

My personal experience is that the cruise lines offer an all encompassing experience of options in Alaska. The only thing private offers is perhaps a more personal experience.

As to bang for buck or must do.. that is so personal and budget constrained, again research the Alaska board and bounce specific questions about experience versus your expectation.

I did private and ship combo, for my 3 kids similar age and younger than yours.

Best: Helicopter - glacier dog-sledding. Eye popping price for a family of 5, but once in a life time never will be forgot

Bang for buck: 30' walk around Mendenhall glacer to the falls fun family, and wonderfuly and so Alaskan

Another Best: Fishing, but again pricey, but very unqiuely Alaskan.

Good and alaska: Whale watching, not too expensive and very fun.

Good luck!

My hubby and I are cruising with my 17yo stepson. I originally booked the Mendenhall glacier and whale quest, but cancelled that and booked the Pilot's choice through Temsco in Juneau. Going directly with Temsco had a couple of advantages. 1) it was a little cheaper, 2) because the cruise line blocked the first flight (7:30am) we get to go on the second flight at 9am. We dock at 7am and I'd hate to rush to get off the ship to make it to the pickup area. We return to the pier at 11:45am, and we will go across the street from the pier to Tracy's Crab Shack for some king crab! Woohoo! The Pilot's choice is pricey, but I think it will be a great experience. 50 min flight time and 2 stops on glaciers.

My hubby and I are cruising with my 17yo stepson. I originally booked the Mendenhall glacier and whale quest, but cancelled that and booked the Pilot's choice through Temsco in Juneau. Going directly with Temsco had a couple of advantages. 1) it was a little cheaper, 2) because the cruise line blocked the first flight (7:30am) we get to go on the second flight at 9am. We dock at 7am and I'd hate to rush to get off the ship to make it to the pickup area. We return to the pier at 11:45am, and we will go across the street from the pier to Tracy's Crab Shack for some king crab! Woohoo! The Pilot's choice is pricey, but I think it will be a great experience. 50 min flight time and 2 stops on glaciers.

Please let me know what you think after you return. We don't go until 2014 so I have plenty of time to collect ideas!

In Juneau, if you really want to do some whale watching (one of the best places to do it as you go to Auke Bay - prime feeding ground for whales in the summer - I would book with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises. Small boats with limited number of seats on each boat - great viewing from the boats and great service from the crew. Captain Larry is a fountain of knowledge about the whales and life in Alaska. The whales don't play here as much as they feed, but when they bubble feed, it is so awesome to watch!

In Juneau, you don't have to do an 'excursion.' It depends on how much you want to spend, and how much 'once in a lifetime' you want it to be. I walked to the Mt. Roberts Tram, then to the dock area where they sold tours, and booked the bus to Mendenhall Glacier. It lets you off with a walk to the National Park Visitor Center, then you can walk to a viewing area, or farther to a waterfall and the glacier. Plenty of exerciswe for your youngsters. In Skagway I took the White Pass & Yukon train ride, and wandered around in town. I Ketchikan, I wandered around, and took the hop-on-hop-off bus circuit, which is free, visited the totem pole museum and another museum on the way to Creek St. Picturesque, plan on rain in Ketchikan. I think they do it so you have to duck into the shops. EM

Archived