When does the Upgrade Fairy Visit?

Does the Upgrade Fairy usually visit around the two week mark before the cruise or 3 days before sailing? I have checked my preferences and marked Automatic Upgrade even if I'm Gold it doesn't hurt right?

So far on the New Orleans-Rome Cruise all categories are still being sold. We originally booked into a GTY Oceanview and had a first assignment then we got moved to another room with occupancy for 3 on the same level. Do we have a good chance of being upgraded? If we get a balcony fine but if not I'm not going to lose sleep over it like other people do.

Now mind you we did not get an upgrade on our first cruise last year so maybe the fairy has something up her sleeve.

Can anyone here guess the chances of an upgrade?

Hi!

Does this upgrade happen automatically? Or do we need to let anyone know that we are interrested?

If you are a Crown & Anchor member, you can use Royal's website to set your upgrade preferences. It's in the "Profile" area.

Last year we got upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony. It was completely automatic. I got an email about a month before the cruise with the subject cruise documents. It was a pdf file with my booking info. I thought it was odd since I already got that when I booked but then I noticed the stateroom number had changed and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Do they only upgrade certain cabin levels? We have been sailing with Royal Caribbean since 2001 and have never rec'd any type of upgrade. Was wondering if it was because I always book a Junior Suite or above? Thanks in advance.

I doubt it happens a lot to solo travellers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how often it happens, but I've gotten upgrades (as a solo traveler) a couple of times. The last time was on a TA last November when I was upgraded from a balcony to a JS:)

Do they only upgrade certain cabin levels? We have been sailing with Royal Caribbean since 2001 and have never rec'd any type of upgrade. Was wondering if it was because I always book a Junior Suite or above? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by cruisnseas on 12/3/2012

Royal Caribbean has three types of upgrades (excluding you upgrading yourself by paying full fare for the category)

1. C&A Upgrade. These are done by Loyalty. They receive a list of rooms they can upgrade members to from Revenue. They then gather a list of members on the particular cruise and rank them by Cruise Points. Price paid is not considered. Category booked is considered when deciding which upgrade to offer. If two members have the same C&A Cruise Points then they look at who booked first and who paid more.

2. Revenue Upgrade. These are upgrades because we oversold a category or because we have suites going empty. Revenue needs your room and will offer you an upgrade (sometimes it is free, sometimes at a discount). C&A status is NOT considered here. They look at category booked, when it was booked and the price that was paid.

3. GTY Upgrade. This is when you book an inside guarantee and get berthed into an oceanview or you book an oceanview guarantee and get berthed into a balcony, etc. This is due to lack of availability within the category booked. This is done by Revenue. C&A Status is not considered. It is based on berthing availability at the time your room is assigned

Does the Upgrade Fairy usually visit around the two week mark before the cruise or 3 days before sailing? I have checked my preferences and marked Automatic Upgrade even if I'm Gold it doesn't hurt right?.......

HMMM the Upgrade Fairy lost my E-Mail address and phone number a long time ago. :p

We found out about our first upgrade when we checked in (or at least DW heard the person say it looked like we received an upgrade) from a balcony to a GS on the Majesty for our first RCCL cruise. Our second upgrade from a balcony to a JS DW found out when she checked on our reservation and found a different cabin number. Our third upgrade the (again from a balcony, but this time to an aft JS on the Grandeur) upgrade fairy called DW about two weeks before the cruise and asked if we would accept an upgrade? DW took about .002 nano seconds to think about it before accepting the upgrade.

In 22 cruises we have never been upgraded. To those of you who have - thats Great!

Originally Posted by cruisnseas on 12/3/2012

Royal Caribbean has three types of upgrades (excluding you upgrading yourself by paying full fare for the category)

1. C&A Upgrade. These are done by Loyalty. They receive a list of rooms they can upgrade members to from Revenue. They then gather a list of members on the particular cruise and rank them by Cruise Points. Price paid is not considered. Category booked is considered when deciding which upgrade to offer. If two members have the same C&A Cruise Points then they look at who booked first and who paid more.

2. Revenue Upgrade. These are upgrades because we oversold a category or because we have suites going empty. Revenue needs your room and will offer you an upgrade (sometimes it is free, sometimes at a discount). C&A status is NOT considered here. They look at category booked, when it was booked and the price that was paid.

3. GTY Upgrade. This is when you book an inside guarantee and get berthed into an oceanview or you book an oceanview guarantee and get berthed into a balcony, etc. This is due to lack of availability within the category booked. This is done by Revenue. C&A Status is not considered. It is based on berthing availability at the time your room is assigned

Great information thanks for posting. We are Diamond + C&A members and have NEVER been upgraded. We usually book JS cabins. I wonder if RCI looks to see how often someone has been upgraded or if it's just the luck of the draw? Seems kind of crazy that some cruisers have been upgraded a few times and some have never been. Thinking that RCI needs to spread the "wealth" around a little more. :p

Great information thanks for posting. We are Diamond + C&A members and have NEVER been upgraded. We usually book JS cabins. I wonder if RCI looks to see how often someone has been upgraded or if it's just the luck of the draw? Seems kind of crazy that some cruisers have been upgraded a few times and some have never been. Thinking that RCI needs to spread the "wealth" around a little more. :p

I agree!!

I doubt it happens a lot to solo travellers?

I don't know how often it happens, but I've gotten upgrades (as a solo traveler) a couple of times. The last time was on a TA last November when I was upgraded from a balcony to a JS:)

As have I. :D

A lot depends on when you sail.

If you are sailing at popular times, upgrades are far less likely.

I have only been upgraded during "off" periods - last week of August, for example.

We were upgraded the day of our cruise. Apparently the original passenger of the balcony cabin we got, canceled at the last minute. Our cabin attendant still had the name of that couple on his list and had laid out the coupons and other paperwork based on the C&A class of the cancelee (sic)

A total pleasant surprise. At check-in we got nervous because the agent could not find our sea-pass cards. We thought something was wrong!

Does the Upgrade Fairy usually visit around the two week mark before the cruise or 3 days before sailing? I have checked my preferences and marked Automatic Upgrade even if I'm Gold it doesn't hurt right?

So far on the New Orleans-Rome Cruise all categories are still being sold. We originally booked into a GTY Oceanview and had a first assignment then we got moved to another room with occupancy for 3 on the same level. Do we have a good chance of being upgraded? If we get a balcony fine but if not I'm not going to lose sleep over it like other people do.

Now mind you we did not get an upgrade on our first cruise last year so maybe the fairy has something up her sleeve.

Can anyone here guess the chances of an upgrade?

Could be anytime. We got upgraded from an inside to ocean view 12 weeks before our Norway cruise on Indy

Also D+ and have never been upgraded. :(

I'm thinking the odds of an upgrade on my next cruise are slim to none since there's only been 1 cabin showing available for the whole ship for a couple of weeks now ;)

I would take the available deck 8 Superior Interior vs the deck 2 Little Interior I have booked if they offered lol

We found out about our first upgrade when we checked in (or at least DW heard the person say it looked like we received an upgrade) from a balcony to a GS on the Majesty for our first RCCL cruise. Our second upgrade from a balcony to a JS DW found out when she checked on our reservation and found a different cabin number. Our third upgrade the (again from a balcony, but this time to an aft JS on the Grandeur) upgrade fairy called DW about two weeks before the cruise and asked if we would accept an upgrade? DW took about .002 nano seconds to think about it before accepting the upgrade.

Just curious..what time of the year do you travel? Wondering if that has to do with upgrades also? We are on Allure May 5th & hoping for the best. :)

Archived