CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

So Carnival caught lying again....to the US Coast Guard even!

According to the United States Coast Guard, the initial report concerning the ship's mechanical issues came directly from a passenger onboard.

Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios, USCG, told Cruise Critic: "The Coast Guard was notified at 3 a.m. from a passenger reporting overflowing sewage and power outages onboard the vessel Carnival Dream.

"We contacted the cruise ship captain directly and asked what the situation was. He told us there was no problem with power or sewage, and that the main generator is fully operational. The only casualty is the propulsion system … The ship is unable to leave port until they are able to fix the problem, and staff are keeping everyone onboard for accountability purposes."

That's funny, cause Carnival itself admitted elevators and toilets had no power for a few hours! Get your lies straight Carnival!

One of us must be color blind. Perhaps it's me but I see it like this:

Orange - #1 by a long shot - Misc Ships

Gold - #2 - Royal

Red - #3 - Carnival

Silver/White - #4 - P&O

Purple - #5 - Princess

Are you trying to confuse us with both numbers and colors referring back to charts 4.... no wait 5....no wait 6 pages ago?;)

Also, I know they are flying people home but what happens to people that do not have passports? For example, some people do not have passports because they are legal residents of the U.S. and have not obtained U.S. Citizenship. Some passport issues are much more complicating then someone not having a passport because they were too lazy to go and get one.

They will just have to wait for the Embassy to expedite documentation for them to fly home.

They will all get home just fine.

The people with passports will just get home faster, due to no problems with red tape.

Bill

Someone at CNN should tell him that they are flying planes in tomorrow. I cannot believe that CNN has this information but the passengers on the ship haven't been told!

Carnival, you're a joke!

And how do you know the passengers don't have this information? Are you on the ship? :rolleyes:

I was on the Dream in January, and St. Maarten was by far my favorite port. Would I be upset about missing out on same days on the ship, of course, but they are being refunded, and from what I understand, the ship is still running as a hotel, correct?

While this is inconvenient, I'd make the best of it. May as well see/do what you didn't get a chance to do yesterday in SXM. I'd be right back out on the jet skis!

Passengers on next week's Dream cruise (which has been cancelled) will receive a full refund (of course) and 25% off a future cruise. That savings will probably be more than offset by non-refundable airfares to be incurred by these passengers.

You can leave me stranded in St. Maarten for 2 days. Yes please!

This is my opinion as well, sure people will be upset but I think I would be happy with the refund and excited to use the 50% discount as well. When you cruise you really never know what the weather will be, what ports you might miss or if you can't return to port because of Fog. Unlike most the other trip interruptions at least this one you are compensated for.

I can't recall an incident where a cruise line has flown their pax back to port on charters... can anyone remember such an incident? This is certainly precedent setting.

Yes, it will certainly set a precedent. It will be interesting to see what happens to pax without a passport. There is an excellent chance that the State Dept and CBP will waive the requirement and allow them to board the charter flights and get home.

Why? They aren't suffering. They first half of their cruise was fine, it just got cut short.

Have you ever flown out of St Maarten? That mountain right in front of you... the suffering? OK, it was not really all that bad.:rolleyes:

I emailed my TA at the big online agency that specializes in cruises and he usually calls me back within seconds on my pressing the button:D

Guess this is the reason I haven't heard from him...I really want to make final payment today...for my upcoming NCL cruise...

The point is that they should have issued a statement late last night that read something like this:

Miami, FL, March 13, 2013--The Carnival Dream has experienced generator problems after a scheduled maintenance test while docked in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten this afternoon. There were temporary problems with elevators and some public restroom facilities, however the majority of passenger services and amenities have continued without interruption. The ship has power and scheduled meal service was provided. All regular evening activities went on as scheduled.

There are currently XXXX passengers and XXXX crew on board. There have been no injuries as a result of this situation.

Engineers are working on the problem, and further information will be released as it becomes available.

I agree they should have released a clear and transparent statement earlier and not equivocated with terms like "technical problem". But at least they came out with a relatively transparent statement at 10:45 today.

Passengers on next week's Dream cruise (which has been cancelled) will receive a full refund (of course) and 25% off a future cruise. That savings will probably be more than offset by non-refundable airfares to be incurred by these passengers.

Passengers on next week's Dream cruise are being reimbursed for any non-refundable travel reservations...

Apparently it has been worked out and Carnival is flying everyone home.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to assume that CBP is incapable of recognizing exigent circumstances and providing special handling as necessary.

They are flying everyone home, however we don't know how that will be handled. I suspect that those without passports will have to work with the US Embassy to obtain temporary passports. This is not likely an expense to be covered by CCL. Even if they are allowed in without passports, they will be subjected to additional scrutiny and security measures--as they should be.

Now matter how you fly into the country, the customs and immigration procedures would surely be the same.

Not necessarily. The State Dept and US CBP have the authority to waive the passport requirement in extenuating circumstances.

As a new person here on cruisecritic.com I am shocked at the intense hatred some have for Carnival. I had a terrible experience with a Kia car recently but I do not spend hours on end on a website telling people about it. I am about to take my first carnival cruise and I intend to have a fantastic cruise and for now I think I will leave this place as its full of negativity.

Not many people vacation in a Kia.

But you must realize at some point the people here don't actually think they are cruising. It's a message board to talk about all aspects of cruising. I don't think there's a message board yet called happycruisers.com.

Archived