CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Princess Juliana Airport next to the famous Maho Beach where the 747s land practically over your heads !

My daughter's favorite beach, if it were up to her, we'd book a week long SXM land vacation on Maho Beach.

Here's a video of the Air France plane landing:

Why would one question a CBP decision to waive normal air landing requirements and institute closed-loop requirements for passengers who departed on a closed-loop cruise? They do after all have a detailed passenger list. They know exactly who exited the country with BC & photo ID.

It seems to me that it would be the height of senseless bureaucratic red tape to insist that Dream passengers returning under what can only be considered emergency or extra-normal conditions conform to air landing requirements.

In fact the only reason I can see for insisting on additional screening would be a misguided attempt to encourage passport ownership.

Because they didn't check anyone's ID on the way out, and they are not coming into the point of departure. This is not a closed loop cruise. Those without passports should be subjected to additional screening, just like those landing in the US with a passport that was lost or stolen in transit. A birth certificate is a lot easier to forge than a passport.

As far as US INS and CBP is concerned, yes, they can. Otherwise people would need to show passports to board private jets, which just isn't the case. Those private jet passengers, just like all charter and commercial jet passengers, do need to produce a passport when they land on US soil.

INS hasn't existed since 2003. You might want to browse around http://www.dhs.gov and learn something. :rolleyes:

so Ducklite what happens when they get back to florida? All hotels rooms are booked. They missed thier flights back home. Is the cruise line going to pay them the penality? for changing flights.

Mary

It is unknown at this time when passengers will return. Arranging flights for 4,300 may take a bit of time. According to Carnival they will be returned to MCO, Port Canaveral, or their home airport depending on circumstances.

Also according to Carnival the cruise line will reimburse any non-refundable travel costs - since this was mentioned in the same paragraph as the cancellation of the next cruise I'm unsure if this applies to both groups of passengers or just the later. If past practice is anything to go on non-refundable travel costs including flight change fees, will be covered.

And just what authority do US INS and CBP have for someone getting on a commercial plane coming to the USA originating from Russia, Germany, etc etc.?

I will answer my own question, none.

And you will need a passport no matter what US INS, CBP, Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny position is on this.

Huh? Let me spell it out for you again.

If you get on a commercial plane in a foreign country to fly to the US, you will need to show your passport to the carrier prior to boarding. This is not an INS or CBP rule, this is the carriers rule.

When you land, you will process through INS and CBP with your passport.

If you are flying a private plane or charter, you will not be asked for the passport--UNTIL YOU LAND, then you will process through INS and CBP like everyone else.

I never said you don't need a passport to enter the US. I said that INS and CBP don't see your passport--or require anyone else to look at it--prior to getting on a plane headed to the US.

Understand now?

It is unknown at this time when passengers will return. Arranging flights for 4,300 may take a bit of time. According to Carnival they will be returned to MCO, Port Canaveral, or their home airport depending on circumstances.

Also according to Carnival the cruise line will reimburse any non-refundable travel costs - since this was mentioned in the same paragraph as the cancellation of the next cruise I'm unsure if this applies to both groups of passengers or just the later. If past practice is anything to go on non-refundable travel costs including flight change fees, will be covered.

so, it's possible some (or many) passengers may not get back to Florida prior to Saturday morning?

Because they didn't check anyone's ID on the way out, and they are not coming into the point of departure. This is not a closed loop cruise. Those without passports should be subjected to additional screening, just like those landing in the US with a passport that was lost or stolen in transit. A birth certificate is a lot easier to forge than a passport.

Not sure who you mean by "they", but I always have to show ID when I board, which I guess makes sure you have what you need to get off, getting on.

What day are they flying out? Today? Tomorrow?

As far as presenting passports when LEAVING a country? Beyond airline agents checking, some countries DO have formal passport control (i.e. govt. customs/immigration/border patrol/whatever officials) for flights departing the country. The USA is not one of these countries. Mexico does. They even have a departure tax they collect.

That is the CBP/INS of the country you are departing, not the US. The US doesn't look at anyone's passport until they get back into the US. Well, not counting the Canadian airports where you pre-clear.

You need to a reasonable here. What are the chances that one of the passengers that left the US on this cruise is either abducted or in cahoots with someone in St. Maarten. just so a fake Birth Certificate and Picture ID can be created and then this other person can enter the US instead of the original passenger.

Or, perhaps this is a bigger conspiracy to to smuggle hundreds of people into the US with faked documents and strand the real passengers in St. Maarten forever.:eek:

so Ducklite what happens when they get back to florida? All hotels rooms are booked. They missed thier flights back home. Is the cruise line going to pay them the penality? for changing flights.

Mary

Exactly!

St Maarten has a full sized airport. I can handle up to 747's.

Not that full size; it only has a 2300m runway, and an interesting departure. So departing planes must show they can perform a safe return in the event of partial failures. Mostly why the allowed large planes are 4 engine, as a single failure impacts the flight less than 2 engine planes.

Mary

I believe that they already said they would cover transportation home. I imagine CCL has booked blocks of rooms near the airport in anticipation of need. If they didn't, shame on them.

I doubt there are too many, if any, direct flights from St Maarten to MLB or SFB so in that sense, MCO is the nearest gateway. And I would suspect that connections to most of the rest of the country are more convenient out of MCO. Probably where most who flew in for the cruise arrived too.

MIA is the nearest gateway to SXM, but MCO is closest to the original debarkation point, making it more practical for most, if not all the pax.

If you get on a commercial plane in a foreign country to fly to the US, you will need to show your passport to the carrier prior to boarding. This is not an INS or CBP rule, this is the carriers rule.

If you are flying a private plane or charter, you will not be asked for the passport--UNTIL YOU LAND, then you will process through INS and CBP like everyone else.

I never said you don't need a passport to enter the US. I said that INS and CBP don't see your passport--or require anyone else to look at it--prior to getting on a plane headed to the US.

Understand now?

Wrong wrong wrong. Really, do you think you have some sort of credibility on this thread? You are giving out so much misinformation it's ridiculous. INS doesn't even exist.

Not sure who you mean by "they", but I always have to show ID when I board, which I guess makes sure you have what you need to get off, getting on.

You showed it to cruise line staff, not US officials. This is no longer a closed loop cruise, and shouldn't be treated like one. There is no emergency here.

Wrong wrong wrong. Really, do you think you have some sort of credibility on this thread? You are giving out so much misinformation it's ridiculous. INS doesn't even exist.

I corrected myself a few posts back. Passport control through CBP.

Understand now?

And I said the Easter Bunny does not require a passport either for someone to get on a flight originating out of the US bound for here.

My point, and others' points were addressing your comment that you do not need a passport to get on a flight bound for the US but you will need one when you get here, which is absurd. You will need a passport to get on the flight. You will not get on the flight without one.

Comprendo?

As a frequent visitor to St. Maarten, I can assure you that the airport can handle jumbo jets. 747's used to fly in almost daily from France. Not sure if they still do, though.

I would love to be "stranded" on a cruise ship in St. Maarten. Better than a sea day, for sure!

We sailed with Carnival in December 2012 and would not hesitate to sail with them again.

Keep in mind that European carriers are pretty much the only ones that fly the jumbo's to SXM. US carriers typical takeoff policies (takeoff weight, lift, safe-return, etc.) push the envelope of a jumbo out of SXM.

They are not allowed off the ship...paradise?? Many will arrive back in Florida and have find a hotel to stay in until they can get a flight out, or until they can use the reservations they already have. Who do you think is going to have to pay for all that? Gosh, wake up!

Actually, CCL said that some would fly to their home destination, and not all would fly to Orlando. Did they not also say they would assist with all expenses to help cruisers reach their final destination?

Archived