CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Kris Anderson is a local news TV reporter who happens to be on the Dream for his vacation.

He phoned in a live interview at Noon today which I watched.

He said that this was nothing (and he kept repeating that) like the Triumph.

He said everything was normal ( and he kept repeating that) and if they were not docked in St Maarten...no one would even know there was an issue.

They are enjoying all the normal services and activities.

He said they are being kept informed. They had already been told that they will be flown via private charter to Orlando and that charter buses would be waiting to take them to Port Canaveral.

He stated repeatedly that he had heard some of the "rumors" that had already started and said clearly they were not true.

Some posters will just ignore these facts and continue with their agenda driven embellishments.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I have only sailed Carnival but I find your comment offensive - IT is an open board and open forum. I have gone to other boards to see what is going on and GOD FORBID I have even commented on them - are you saying that it is against some sort or law or rule. I have taken a break from cruising not because I am afraid or do not like the product but cannot afford the airfare - it costs us MORE to fly than it does to cruise. Just got back from an awesome All Inclusive that cost less than just the airfare but does not mean |I won't cruise again.

Go back and read what I commented on. Happy flying.

I have read many comments about Carnival cutting back on maintenance and having failures as a result. The comments have no basis !!!

The cruise lines (all of them that call on US ports) are required by USCG to maintain records and the records are subject to inspection by USCG at any time with or without notification.

Jumping on a cruise line for failures is one thing, but making false statements about the reasons for failures is not acceptable and leads to degradation of the CC boards as a source of information.

There is no basis. In fact they are all lies. Just like the same claims on the Triumph that these people said and were proven wrong.

Wait! I thought this was the (Commodore 64) Cunard board!

The Carnival forum is for anyone, my friend, and I would say especially for those who have sailed Carnival multiple times. I don't have to be in love with the way it has gone, or is going, to post here- far from it. Accountability is key. One way or the other they will get the message that the product they are turning out now is miles away from what it once was. It's a death by a thousand cuts and it's a good thing people are here to call them out on it.

Did I say you were a vulture? Read the whole thread. Read other anti carnival threads and posts. You'll know who the pot stirrers are.

I have read many comments about Carnival cutting back on maintenance and having failures as a result. The comments have no basis !!!

The cruise lines (all of them that call on US ports) are required by USCG to maintain records and the records are subject to inspection by USCG at any time with or without notification.

Jumping on a cruise line for failures is one thing, but making false statements about the reasons for failures is not acceptable and leads to degradation of the CC boards as a source of information.

While I won't join the Carnival bashers, I will say that most people misunderstand the relationship between the USCG and foreign flag ships. While the USCG can and does inspect foreign flag ships for SOLAS requirements, the ones who require the maintenance documentation is the IMO through the ISM (International Safety Management) plan. This is audited by the flag state of the ship (Panama in the case of the Dream), and the classifications societies (insurance underwriters) like Lloyds and DNV.

In the past, the USCG would inspect US flag vessels along the same lines as the classification societies for equipment condition, but they have long since handed most of this off to the societies. And, this was only for US flag vessels. Most people expect that because the ship boards in the US, that US laws and agencies are in charge, when in fact it is the "flag state".

I hope this does not happen to the cruise ahead of us as would of already left home and mine is not a closed circuit cruise so fly out from another port.

Closed circuit rules for not requiring a passport only apply to USA citizens. Citizens of all other countries need a passport for a USA closed loop cruise.

Shouldn't they give a whole refund since it wasn't a whole cruise? I wonder how many Carnival cheerleaders are gone today.

of course they should..and my guess is that they eventually will do that. Their vacations were ruined and they are certainly not going to just jump on these charter flights in a matter of minutes..there are 4000 pax and that will take time to move them...minimum 10 plane loads..probably more.

and as a poster mentioned earlier....what about those who refuse to fly and that is why they cruise?

I am not talking a medical evac emergency...where they might not be any choice...I am talking about those who just will not fly...and for some reason I get the feeling that those are the exact types that cruise..from a port that they can drive to.

Now, that issue should be interesting. Best guess, they will have to offload those pax to another cruise line or CCL ship that happens to call at St, Martin.

Does anyone really think CCL will force a fear of flying pax to get on a plane? Talk about liability....geez the pax could stroke out if forced on a plane....against their will.

If it has to be explained to you, you'll never get it. Again, read all the posts. Then go read any number of other threads. The light might go on.

I get that you mean "bashing Carnival" is the agenda, but what's the motivation? What's the real agenda? Are we all employees of RCL in your mind? Or people just out to ruin your vacation?

I can't believe anybody still uses a Commodore 64

why does it matter to you?

I personally refuse to pay for a smartphone..don't need it..costs to much to maintain...and if you want me just call or text me....

I dont need to check my spam mail every 2 seconds thank you

what the heck is commodore 64 anyway and why do I care if someone uses one?

Yes, due to the relative size difference between main and emergency generators, it is not usual to allow them to parallel.

The 60 seconds is for the breakers to trip, the generator to crank and start, come up to speed, and close on the bus. All marine generators are self-excited. Believe me, when you are on a completely dark ship those are the longest 60 seconds of your life. The emergency is there only to provide power when the main power goes off, which is why you have the dead bus transfer. Between the two main switchboards, you always have a synchronizing function for closed transition.

Oh, I can relate. It gets dark inside a ship when the lights go out. I know that firsthand. Try maneuvering around a tight engineroom (688 class submarine) when the lights go out. It's sometimes better to just stay put until the lights are turned back on.

I would have expected the propulsion busses to unload (be stripped by UV-27 device) and hotel load/navigation/lighting busses to stay hotted-up, but I am not familiar with the bus layouts of commercial ships, nor their relaying strategy. We have layered trips, with succeeding levels of undervoltage bus tripping to keep important loads powered either by offsite power (345&138 KV/6.9KV), main generators (via xfmr 22.5KV/6.9KV) and finally EDG's (6.9KV). A;though our EDG's tend to be self-exciting, we also have a flashing circuit in the event rated voltage doesn't build up within 10 seconds of engine start and reaching 450 rpm.

why does it matter to you?

I personally refuse to pay for a smartphone..don't need it..costs to much to maintain...and if you want me just call or text me....

I dont need to check my spam mail every 2 seconds thank you

what the heck is commodore 64 anyway and why do I care if someone uses one?

It's a really old computer. I'm assuming the person who has that as their signature put it there in jest.

If these carnival ships were airliners they would be pulled from service until the problem could be solved, After all that is what happened with the dreamliner. There is obviously a technical or design issue with these generator systems and the problem needs to be solved.

What in the world?!?!

If you read the CC homepage story abut dream it states,

"According to the United States Coast Guard, the initial report concerning the ship's mechanical issues came directly from a passenger onboard."

HuH? Are you telling me it took a passenger calling the USCG to make action happen???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I can't believe anybody still uses a Commodore 64

I think it is way cool.... and your comment was off topic!

We are still cruising in April and it will be my first. Live life and take chances...or stay home.

I choose to live life

Oh, I can relate. It gets dark inside a ship when the lights go out. I know that firsthand. Try maneuvering around a tight engineroom (688 class submarine) when the lights go out. It's sometimes better to just stay put until the lights are turned back on.

I would have expected the propulsion busses to unload (be stripped by UV-27 device) and hotel load/navigation/lighting busses to stay hotted-up, but I am not familiar with the bus layouts of commercial ships, nor their relaying strategy. We have layered trips, with succeeding levels of undervoltage bus tripping to keep important loads powered either by offsite power (345&138 KV/6.9KV), main generators (via xfmr 22.5KV/6.9KV) and finally EDG's (6.9KV). A;though our EDG's tend to be self-exciting, we also have a flashing circuit in the event rated voltage doesn't build up within 10 seconds of engine start and reaching 450 rpm.

There is usually a load shedding function that kicks in when load approaches 100% of rating of online generators. This will drop the A/C chillers (massive 10kv load centers), and much of the hotel load. While the guests would say that hotel load is what is most important, propulsion is the priority load. Also, automation exists that will start another generator (if one is available) if the load gets too high, before load shedding happens. There are usually three levels of load shedding (including thrusters).

Again, the emergency bus is designed to only provide that power needed to evacuate the ship.

You sounded like the "gray funnel line" with your questions!

Archived