CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

What in the world?!?!

If you read the CC homepage story abut dream it states,

"According to the United States Coast Guard, the initial report concerning the ship's mechanical issues came directly from a passenger onboard."

HuH? Are you telling me it took a passenger calling the USCG to make action happen???

No it didnt make anything happen.

Carnival didnt have to inform them right away

Im just surprised a pax called the USCG while in STX a 3am:rolleyes:

don't know where you are getting 4 day cruise. They were only 2 sea days left of 7 days before any problems. The ship is still feeding them as normal as far as I've heard. Probably shows are still going on too.

I don't think they should be refunded the whole cruise but they are missing some of the cruise they paid for - I for one take cruises because I HATE to fly and the ship is my destination because I have done those same ports so many times. And when I first posted it wasn't clear if they were going to be allowed to get off the ship. I think what they are giving is more than generous but not compensating at all does not seem reasonable. They paid for a cruise, not a trip to St. Maarten.

DWJOE: I most firmly agree that the Company has failed to apparently keep even the passengers onboard informed of what is going on, let alone the general public. They also must improve the PR training of the ships' crews (officers) with regards to getting info out onboard. They should have announced that the temporary power outages (not total) were caused by a technical issue with the emergency power distribution system (if that is what it truly is), and that the ship is not allowed to sail until it is fixed. They should have announced that the Captain was retaining everyone onboard for a speedy departure. All ship's functions were working, so it would have been just like a sea day, which it was supposed to be anyway. Ship's management fell down on this, unless they were directed otherwise by shoreside management.

However, would it have made you feel better if Carnival had said "the shunt trip coil on the emergency bus tie circuit breaker is malfunctioning due to an unusual ground detected in the buffet line waffle maker outlets?" (humorous example). I get pretty technical on here, and I think most people skip my posts because of it, but believe me when I say that I could fill pages with technical jargon that wouldn't mean diddle to anyone but a marine engineer.

In the legalese of the maritime world, there are only a few terms out there for incidents like this (and by USCG definition this would be an "incident" not an "accident") that would be generally understood, and technical issue is one of them.

I agree with most of your posts, but I think you're taking this too far. You, however, tend to be a moderate voice, and don't get into flaming the previous poster, for which I am glad.

I missed this earlier in my haste to catch up on the thread.

I respect the fact that "technical issue" strikes you as the correct term from a maritime point of view, and maybe that's why CCL used the term; however, a press release should be transparent to the layman. It should be simple and appropriately detailed, so that the average person reads it and says "Oh, that's what it is". The term "technical issue" does not accomplish that.

Full blown technical jargon would be overkill, but I think the right balance was struck in the FAQ CCL issued later this afternoon: "... the ship’s engineering team conducted a regularly scheduled test of the ship’s emergency diesel generator. A malfunction occurred which has rendered the emergency generator inoperable." I read this and thought, this rings true.

There goes CNN again. Their lead in to the Dream story just now was "Carnival Dream, a floating toilet"

They then went on to say the generatorS weren't working, toiletS were over flowing, lights were out and people weren't being allowed off the ship.

They should let the passengers who have said not to listen to the lies know about these conditions.

CNN has become like the drama queens here.

Sent using my Commodore 64

John Heald

As a special treat and a special thank you to our Carnival Dream guests for their understanding tonight we will present a special show for them

485981_526741404035092_1134895965_n.png

1) Some people have commented they don't think this is a particularly "special treat", but it certainly is a step up from the show it is replacing for the evening . . . a show that was rather quickly renamed because of low interest by a good percentage of Carnival Dream passengers, and one that continues to have numerous passengers exit before completion. I personally liked the original concept, but it turned into a big dud when corporate cutbacks (yes, I used that word) decreased the performance ensemble by 25%, and the re-blocking simply didn't work at all.

2) Rather 'interesting' scheduling plans by the ship to have a show begin at 11:00, and be fully completed in time for the theatre to be emptied and re-filled for a new performance a mere 60-minutes later. Right.

Lol. As common as the vultures who show up to stir things up with their lies and embellishments. Do people forget what board they are on?

Stirring it the other way doesn't help.

In general, I find this thread much more civil than the Triumph one.

There goes CNN again. Their lead in to the Dream story just now was "Carnival Dream, a floating toilet"

They then went on to say the generatorS weren't working, toiletS were over flowing, lights were out and people weren't being allowed off the ship.

They should let the passengers who have said not to listen to the lies know about these conditions.

Yet you continue to watch CNN? Makes sense.

And more eloquent passengers?

Touché!

I'd say more of maintenance guys, probably not certified generator mechanics that could say.. Change out a rod bearing and would probably require parts being carried to machine shop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes...That makes more sense. Thank you :)

Close....MM.
Oops my bad MM/

You know us Hm's we were too busy taking naps in sick bay to know exactly what you guys did

All I know we didnt have to worry about getting somewhere;)

Unlike CCL MM's:rolleyes:

On Wednesday Carnival Dream passengers were able to spend the full day in St. Maarten, and had the option to continue doing so until their scheduled return home.

Passengers on the immobilized ship would receive a refund equal to three days of the cruise and a 50 percent discount off a future sailing.

Carnival stressed that all of the ship's hotel systems were functioning normally since 12:30 a.m. Thursday and that all passengers were "safe and comfortable."

Still it acknowledged there had been periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours Wednesday night but everything is working since then.

The cruise line said it was canceling the ship's March 16 sailing and would give passengers booked on that cruise a full refund plus a 25 percent discount on a future voyage.

CCL did well to acknowledge the problems that did occur without equivocating. It makes the press release ring true and provides context to interpret the scattered reports of inoperable toilets last night. Their communication has improved since the Triumph.

"Don't worry, be happy." I extend my heartfelt sympathies to all aboard the Dream. It won't be easy but you will survive. Enjoy your fellow passengers as there is no other event in life like adversity to instantly bring complete strangers together as friends. Take this rare opportunity to see the best in those around you. Ask for help, if you need it, and they will respond. Share your fears, worries, frustrations and joys and they will be there with you. Never in your life will you see your fellow human beings fill your heart with such warmth as you will now and in any other life-altering event. That was the greatest experience I took away from the Carnival Triumph and 5 days adrift at sea. Seize the day!

Nice to see someone chime in who was on the Triumph. :)

Ducklite - as the new immigration enforcement csar!

We need someone who finally cares about illegal immigration to be in charge and wring their hands incessantly every time it is suspected that someone may be entering our country without an extra-thorough special body cavity search.

I am sincere too. Here in Texas the illegal immigration problem is serious.

I never suggest a body cavity search. I simply feel that they should have to go through the same process as any other US citizen who presents themselves at our airports on a flight originating outside the US without a valid passport.

Dream was moored in St Maarten. There was no need or requirement to inform USCG of the issue at that time.

Not sure what action you are asking about.

A pax on the Dream called the coast guard to report power and sewage problems. The CG treated it as a possible vessel in distress and contacted the Dream.

That's pretty funny. Why are you watching. Is there some gap you need them to fill in for you. I never even put the news on today/

Haven't heard talk like this since I retired. Nuclear plants have backup generators, typically 900rpm, that start on the loss of power to the 4160V safety bus (undervoltage/loss of voltage relays), plus a field flash circuit (125VDC) that initiates at 500rpm and cuts out when the bus is re-energized to provide excitation. Total time from start signal to full voltage on bus is 10 seconds or 15 seconds, depending on plant license. Each reactor has two totally redundant electrical systems, each with its own diesel generator that powers only the plant safety loads. Since most nuclear plants are powered from the grid, a loss of the electrical grid (e.g. hurricane Andrew) means all the diesels at the plant start at once. Very noisy.

Art

It's either broke or it ain't broke, that I can understand!;)

That's pretty funny. Why are you watching. Is there some gap you need them to fill in for you. I never even put the news on today/

While I do agree with RRRRAAAALLLLL CNN did sensationailize the Triumph situation

BUT>>>>Why does someone watch a program they dont agree with. CNN didnt really trash CCL this afternoon

Archived