After reading many posts complaining about "X" at least we don't cruise Carnival.

A Sixth?

As of this evening, the Carnival Legend is limping back to Tampa missing a stop in Grand Cayman. Propulsion issues...

When It rains, it pours. Carnival is having their issues. The Destiny was having propulsion issues just before she left for the shipyard for her conversion into the Carnival Sunshine, then the Triumph had propulsion issues and we all know what happened next even though the two issues were not related to the ship losing power. Add to that the Dream and now the Legend and this does not bode well for Carnival. A PR disaster.

This would turn me off to cruising Carnival as they had already fallen off my radar years ago when I saw a decline in their overall cruise produce. For us they just don't measure up to any of the other cruise lines out there that we have cruised and after spending the week on the Reflection last week, they are not even close to Celebrity in any area.

Our Millennium cruise was cancelled back in 2006 (I think that was the year).

I certainly did congratulate the way Celebrity handled our cancelled cruise.

They gave us a refund and a 100% credit towards another cruise. What's to complain about that?

Granted we did not have airfare or transfer refunds or cancellations,

ours was just the cruise, but we thought they were more than fair.

I'm glad your experience was good -- I remember reading when one of the M Class ships abruptly ended a cruise in Acapulco and a lot of the passengers felt abandoned and that is certainly what happened on the Century -- many passengers felt Celebrity did little to assist them once they were off the ship.

Here is someone's experience from the Century. Say what you will about Carnival, but they made sure all their passengers got home at no expense to them. This was a terrible embarrassment for Celebrity, I really hope they learned from it

"The day we arrived, they announced the ship was "broken" and they were cancelling the cruise. We had barely unpacked. They then more or less have deserted us. The boat will be tugged away tomorrow so we have to be off. Our flight home was not for 12 more days...and the town we are tendered at has no train service (they are on strike). So, tomorrow we will be dropped with no hotel, no flights, no transportation, no maps, no internet, (you get the picture)...and about 50 pounds of luggage each on the beach of an obscure city with about 1000 other people trying to get home. We believe that we may have a flight out from Nice (closest airport) tomorrow...but we do not know for sure how, where, what or when (it is about 7:30 pm here right now).

SO...in short, we have spent more time in a plane or some other cruel form of transportation than we have in Europe. We have spent enormous amounts of money and seen nothing. We have purhashed nothing. We have not strung more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep together since last Monday and we hope to be home by Sunday "

Here's another good example of the difference in corporate philosophy between Carnival and Royal Caribbean - I'm not a Carnival cheerleader and Celebrity is our favorite line, but given a choice of being on a ship with a problem, the history shows you'd be in better hands with Carnival.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/carnival-cruise-lines-royal-caribbean-san-juan-hurricane-irene/416604/1

That article as a side note also shows the importance of having a passport even if you're on a closed loop cruise :)

Ummm, Princess and Holland America are owned by Carnival Cruise Lines. . .

Actually it is Carnival Corp which owns:

AIDA

Carnival

Costa

Cunard

Holland America

Ibero

P&O

P&O Australia

Princess

Seabourn

That's a lot of lines so not sure what exactly is going on with the maintenance/engineering on Carnival Cruise lines itself.

but given a choice of being on a ship with a problem, the history shows you'd be in better hands with Carnival.

Well they do have plenty of practise, especially recently.;)

WOW, I feel sorry for Carnivals CEO.:(. I was considering The Dream when I made my booking on Reflection. Port Canaveral is closer for us and what I'm paying for a C-1 on Reflection I'd get a suite on Dream. Looks like the 3/23/2013 Dream cruise might get cancelled also. 8 days to Reflection. I hope Celebrity pays their engineer's more than Carnival :eek:

WOW, I feel sorry for Carnivals CEO.:(. I was considering The Dream when I made my booking on Reflection. Port Canaveral is closer for us and what I'm paying for a C-1 on Reflection I'd get a suite on Dream. Looks like the 3/23/2013 Dream cruise might get cancelled also. 8 days to Reflection. I hope Celebrity pays their engineer's more than Carnival :eek:

I sailed on the Dream and sadly cannot recommend it. I felt like I was on a cattle car. There were way too many people for such small spaces. The pool was beyond packed and so was every elevator, stairwell. It was just too many people for its size.

I have sailed on other Carnival ships - the Pride, Miracle, and Glory and those were much better in regards to space/people ratio.

I did enjoy my Dream cruise....but really felt 'squished' all the time. The food was really, really good though!

Refund and 100% credit is better than Carnival's refund and 25% credit .. or is my business degree too old and the math has changed? :p

Yes, I agree, it is much better treatment by X than by Carnival.

But my response was to someone who said

the many break downs of the M Class ship's Azipods. Not many were congratulating Celebrity on there responsive customer service.

CRUZBUDS, We weren't sailing on X when that happened (at least I don't think we were).

Dec, 2006 was our first cruise (the cancelled one).

This is just getting ridiculous now!

Ive always said any cruise is better than no cruise...not so sure I'd take even a free cruise w/ Carnival at this point lol

I second that! We always said no cruise is a bad cruise, just some are better than others. We may want to rethink that one too.:confused:

Most of the ships that have problems are older ones. Carnival still sails ships built in the 1990's.

An equipment malfunction can occur on any ship, but its more likely on those old boats.

Once you experience a new ship, ( Solstice class ) , Its hard get back on an old ship.

Actually, the Dream is 2010, Splendor 2008, Legend 2003 & Triumph 1999.

As a past CCL cruiser I am shocked at how bad things have gotten at CCL. I made a choice to migrate to Celebrity 1 year ago and have had 4 great cruises with them. I loved all my Carnival voyages and feel bad for the pax that have been put off by all these issues and wonder what the root cause of all of this is. Ever since Bob Dickinson left CCL as president things have gone south. The new President Gerry is a finance guy, while Bob was an operations guy. I hope they can get their act together!

Bill

.... We were on the Dream about a year and a half ago....didn't like it because we felt it was too much of a cattle car....just loads and loads of people everywhere. However - the service on Carnival was always great; just no longer our cup of tea.

That was our experience also... a LOUD and gaudy cattle car. And rather crude "entertainment", as well.

I have never had a problem with Carnival, however, I have been on 3 Princess cruises and only enjoyed one. This is our first Celebrity cruise and I can't read enough about everything. I am so very excited.

Carnival has a better record of taking care of it's customers when things go wrong.

Read the many unhappy posts about the Century's propeller in the Med a couple of years ago or the many break downs of the M Class ship's Azipods. Not many were congratulating Celebrity on there responsive customer service. I wish it weren't so ....

We were on the Century's cancelled Med. cruise in 2010 and on the third Reflection cruise that had problems that caused us to miss a port and to arrive late at a couple of ports. None of the problem cruises were of the horrible situation on Carnival Triumph but I feel that you will never know how a cruise line responds to a problem until it happens. We were very unhappy with our treatment on the Century. The only complaint we had with Reflection was the lack of communication regarding the issue.

I am going on my first Carnival cruise in April, it's only a 4 night "girls cruise". I am so dreading it! If I could back out, I would. Hope I don't regret this trip.

I hope you can get past your negative attitude and have a great cruise :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQExtyjs9YxNdNbHWUEQPZ2ts9m0iW3G0kjWT5dFVQQH1UlI7QS

AMEN to that, Jim & Alison. My first cruise (1998/99?) was Carnival Elation and I LOVED that cruise (what I remember of it). Granted, I have not been back to Carnival (with exception of upcoming trip) but I have NO FEAR of either the attitude of the crew or the appointments of the ship and such. Don't dread the unknown: "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength." (Corrie ten Boom) or "I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it." (Rita Mae Brown) YEP - LIVE LIFE! Happy Sailing, everyone~~

Archived