We were to be boarding Carnival Dream on Saturday! Did we make a wise choice?

dvdkndy

Wife, two friends, and myself were supposed to be on the Dream this Saturday until this morning. Having already had plane tickets, vacations, precruise hotels, rental car, etc we were at odds on what to do. We started seeking other lines out and this was the best option for us. Tell me what you think.

We were booked on next door balconies on the Dream and all was suuposed to be good. We were in it for $1650 per room with $100OBC per room.

Now we are booked on the Norwegian Epic out of Miami for a 7 day with stops in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau. Not the greatest itinerary ever but what are we supposed to do.

We are in it now for $1100 and change per couple with $25 OBC. Although we will have to drive from Orlando to Miami, I did not think it was a horrible thing.

All things considered, how did we do? What would you have done? Anything about Norwegian we should know? We tried getting on Liberty but it was sold out. Thanks for everything.

Just an FYI, I am not flogging Carnival or dragging them through the mud. I will sail them again but just needed to do something in a hurry.

Welcome to NCL and the wonderful world of "freestyle cruising." Sorry it took such circumstances to try NCL but I totally understand your point of view. I would say you are very lucky you were not on this week's cruise with Carnival and still had time to make new reservations. Personally, I have not been on the Epic but if you search through the NCL boards you will find lots of information. I know you don't have much time to read up. Freestyle cruising is exceptional and it is much more than dining options. It is a stress free vibe around the ship. Dress up or not, dine whenever or wherever, no clocks, no schedules, no worries. Have a great cruise! It sounds like you did very well with your reservations. :)

I think you will have a great time. Relax and enjoy! Congratulations on finding a great replacement option.

If you enjoy carnival, you'll enjoy NCL....and the Epic is a much cooler ship (with more to offer) than the Dream.

Do yourself a favor. Read a couple of the Epic reviews from February - Dave (cruzface) did a really amazing one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802252

There's SO much to do and see on Epic. I know the itinerary isn't the best if you've been to those island before. BUT, the ship is a destination in itself.

The biggest difference is no set dining time and no formal clothes necessary. Leave the suit and jacket home if you wish! There are 2 main dining rooms (Taste and Manhattan Room) and O'Sheehans, the Garden Café (buffet) and the Great Outdoors (outdoor buffet) that are all included in your price. O'Sheehans is open 24/7. There are a ton of other restaurants to go to that have a fee. Teppanyaki sells out quickly so if you're interested in that, book right away when you board. Moderno is a great place if you like meat.

Also when you board, book a time for the Blue Man Group - you need a reservation and although there's no fee, sometimes it's hard to get into at your preferred times. Cirque Dreams is a for-fee show with a cirque du soliel type act and a set dinner. Other than that there's Howl at the Moon, the Ice Bar (bring shoes!), Legends in Concert, Second City and a bunch of other things to do and see.

NCL adds $12 per person to your account daily for a service charge which is basically the gratuity. So no need to tip anyone extra unless you wish. Bar drinks get an automatic 15% added to the bill and spa services are 18% added. Not sure if you booked a suite, but the butler and concierge are NOT in the DSC pool so they need to be tipped accordingly.

THat's all I can think of but there's some good reviews from very recent sailings to give you an idea of what's to do and see.

Have a great time - sorry you had to scramble, but I for one loved Epic. Hope you do too!

Wife, two friends, and myself were supposed to be on the Dream this Saturday until this morning. Having already had plane tickets, vacations, precruise hotels, rental car, etc we were at odds on what to do. We started seeking other lines out and this was the best option for us. Tell me what you think.

We were booked on next door balconies on the Dream and all was suuposed to be good. We were in it for $1650 per room with $100OBC per room.

Now we are booked on the Norwegian Epic out of Miami for a 7 day with stops in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau. Not the greatest itinerary ever but what are we supposed to do.

We are in it now for $1100 and change per couple with $25 OBC. Although we will have to drive from Orlando to Miami, I did not think it was a horrible thing.

All things considered, how did we do? What would you have done? Anything about Norwegian we should know? We tried getting on Liberty but it was sold out. Thanks for everything.

Just an FYI, I am not flogging Carnival or dragging them through the mud. I will sail them again but just needed to do something in a hurry.

You did great. I loved the Epic. We actually sailed the Epic for the ship not the itinerary. After 3 Carnival cruises in a row we were looking for a change up. The entertainment is top notch. The food is comparable to Carnival (except Carnival has better deserts and NCL has a better buffet). Don't miss Howl at the Moon and have fun.

Cruising another line besides Carnival, you did GREAT! :D

Welcome to Norwegian. Sorry about the circumstances but I think you'll be happy with the Epic.

Here is a link to the roll call for the March 16th sailing

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1748711

Sign up for the meet and greet. You do it on the roll call thread. You will meet ship officers (usually a lot of them attend) and be given contact information for them if a problem comes up during the cruise. Norwegian would much rather solve a problem during the cruise than read about it afterwords on cruise critic.

If you drink alcoholic beverages the martini clinics and those other drink clinics (lol senior moment) are a lot of fun. Howl at the Moon was our favorite free entertainment. Epic buffet is wonderful - best buffet on any of the Norwegian ships now sailing. Noodle Bar is inexpensive and really good. Bowling on the Epic is lots of fun and very inexpensive.

By my signature you can tell we are real Norwegian fans .... it is because we love freestyle and the Norwegian staff.

With it being Spring Break I think you did great just finding another last minute cruise. I sure hope that CCL is providing some kind of compensation for cancelling your cruise that would more than pay for the inconvenience of having to drive to Miami and change hotels etc. I think you will love the Epic and I can not wait to take my first cruise on her. You and your family will have an Epic time.

I think you made a great choice! We loved the Epic

If you can, get to the port early and spring for the Posh Pass. It's an exclusive sun deck for suite guests- but they sell a few passes for general guests as well.

Best $60 I've ever spent on a cruise!

Definitely try to get seats for Blue Man Group and Cirque Dreams.

I am so glad you found something. I have read many posts on the Carnival threads here and at Funville. I am so sorry for those that are sol. I prefer NCL. We have taken 11 NCL cruises, and one on Princess and one on Carnival. You can tell what my preference is.

Anyway, remember the saying "gratitude changes Attitude." Just be glad you are on a ship, having fun, and seeing new things. I am sure you can find some nice excursions. The one to St John and Trunk Bay in St. Maartin was wonderful. We also did a river tubing in St. Thomas.

Sorry your "Dream vacation" got interrupted. That stinks. It does look like a kickin' ship. My friend loved it. I think you did good for you plan B! Hvae a great trip and have fun!!!! :)

Congratulations on your choice. The Epic is a unique and wonderful ship, and many of us had an outstanding experience on her. My signature line includes several reviews of Epic (from users here as well as professional cruise reviewers), plus information on the ship.

Read all you can and come back if you have any questions. Have a great trip!

I think under the circumstances, you did what you had to do. It will be interesting to see whether or not you like the Epic. I know I am in the minority here, but I would never sail her again. Felt like a submarine to me, but what do I know?

Being in the sun and the blue water is what's important, right?

It sounds like the suppliers of the Fincantari shipyard and the Naval Architects have a ton of work to do in design. Next, the line needs to revamp it's service schedule and procedures. If Carnival survives this and isn't broken up and sold to RCL, Norwegian and even Viking; they need to really consider their priorities. We were on the Dream in October and had a great time, but there is more to a ship than appearances and service. The safe operation of a ship at sea requires all systems to be properly maintained and the officers on duty to keep a sharp eye.The crew must be prepare to turn to and keep the vessel in shape. If it is a deficiency in training or personnel it can be corrected by hiring qualified seamen and providing proper training. I believe this string of incidents is entirely CCL's responsibility. Pup another way, if I own a bus and try to delay replacing the brakes then am involved in an accident because my brakes failed...Who's fault is it? Cheerleaders fire at will, but this is truly becoming a seaman's nightmare. USN retired.

Archived