on Dream -no passports

carlp

I look at it this way. You do not need a Passport. You do not need suit cases. You do not need a watch. You do not need a suit and tie. You do not need a hat. You do not need sun screen. Etc. Then again, what the heck! Go for it.

That's not a fair comparison though. All the other things you mentioned, you have a definite need for. On a closed loop cruise, you only have a conditional need for a passport... IF you have to get off the ship THEN you need a passport... or more accurately, wish you had one, since there are backup options even then.

Is a passport a good idea? Sure. You want to recommend that you should get one? OK. But is it required? No.

I haven't read that but if that's true that's pathetic. And I would assume that is because some like to try to scare people into getting passports by telling them they will never be able to get home if something happens. And multiple times now they have been proven wrong. I would guess that on any given sailing there are hundreds of people without passports. The cruise lines arent going to just abandon them. If it was really such a big deal passports would be required not just recommended. (and for the record I have a passport)

But wouldn't it be easier to have a passport rather than go through all the crap and waiting and red tape to get a temporary one? If these people on the Dream have a passport they get on the plane, fly home and be done with it.

A passport lasts for what, ten years in the US? Here in Canada they are about $90.00 and last for only five. It just seems to make sense to have one rather than not. Just my opinion!

They can't fly home without passport. What will happen is that they will have to stay on the island until it is sorted out (could be a few days). I would honestly rather be flying home. I doubt it that Carnival will be paying for their meals and hotel rooms if the ship leaves.

Carnival has already taken care of the passport problem and everyone will be flown back to Orlando .

You missed the point. With a Passport, you would set your clock for 8 am the following Monday morning and depart the port. Without the Passport, you would continue your venture to obtain a passport and that could go on for a considerable amount of time.

I look at it this way. You do not need a Passport. You do not need suit cases. You do not need a watch. You do not need a suit and tie. You do not need a hat. You do not need sun screen. Etc. Then again, what the heck! Go for it.

What makes you think you are going to easily get a plane off a small island at 8 AM on a Monday morning?

But wouldn't it be easier to have a passport rather than go through all the crap and waiting and red tape to get a temporary one? If these people on the Dream have a passport they get on the plane, fly home and be done with it.

A passport lasts for what, ten years in the US? Here in Canada they are about $90.00 and last for only five. It just seems to make sense to have one rather than not. Just my opinion!

And that's exactly what will happen with people on the Dream without passports :rolleyes:.

Beware. There are many shady passport expediters that take money from you and then do nothing besides send you forms to fill out and send to the State Department. I question whether they add any value to the passport process.

There are several that are very good for emergency situations. I used to work for a high end travel company and had to use them - in one case to rescue a family whose daughter died during a cruise in South America - we brought her remains, and her parents back on a private jet within 24 hours thanks to the help of a passport expeditor. So yes, they do add value in certain situations - usually those that are beyond the norm. It would be ridiculous to use a passport expeditor just to get a passport when one knows they are going outside the US and can get their own passport in a couple of weeks through any local passport office at minimal cost and with minimal effort.

Personally, I would not travel anywhere outside of the US without a passport because I have seen too many people get into trouble doing that and had to help bail them out. But unfortunately, there are many people who don't have foresight or exercise common sense in regards to this and will take a closed loop cruise outside of the US with only their birth certificate. To me, leaving the US without a passport is like assuming that accidents never happen - which we all know is not true.

You have to go through enough paperwork and red tape now to get a passport in the first place. Let alone the cost.

$110 app fee + $25 execution fee + $10 for picture = $145 ea. So in my case if my family of 6 cruises (kids all adults now) it would be $870 for something we MAY need but is not required. To each their own but I would rather take our chances and deal with emergencies (rare) when they occur. I think people get mad when they spent all that money and it never gets them special treatment for the amount they spent.

I don't mind that others of course want to purchase these to feel "extra" safe but don't begrudge the fact that non-passport holders are treated the same as passport holders time after time. Come to think of it...it would make me resentful too if I had shelled out all that money for no real benefit to show for.

I don't mind that others of course want to purchase these to feel "extra" safe but don't begrudge the fact that non-passport holders are treated the same as passport holders time after time. Come to think of it...it would make me resentful too if I had shelled out all that money for no real benefit to show for.

I think maybe you have hit the nail on the head. I just can't for the life of me understand why some people get so bent out of shape over the whole passport issue. It would have 0 effect on them. ZERO! I have sailed 8 times now w/o a passport. My SO has one. We both go through check in and customs together and it has never slowed us down or been a problem. I have said all along that if there was an issue where we were stuck due to a ship problem Carnival would get us home. And guess what? That's exactly what is happening isn't it? So go a head, keep wailing and gnashing your teeth. Until a passport is REQUIRED I will continue to sail without one. :p

Under the rules, wouldn't the people on the Triumph without passports have had similar problems (or at least those with birth certificates). When they left Galveston and returned to Mobile, it was no longer a closed loop cruise. Strictly applying the rules, they would have needed at least a passport card to get back into the US.

Where problems affect massive numbers of people, ways are found to deal with the situation.

Roy

I only got passports becasue I went to Europe. Leaving on a cruise, from Florida, to some neighbor islands was never a justification to pay $600.00 for a family of 4. The fear of being stranded on a tropical island, never happened in my mind. However, visions of being stuck on a beach, sipping a tropical drink, while the state department worked on getting me home was always a hope of mine. I never understand why these threads turn into people trying to convince others the horror of not spending hundreds of dollars for something that is not required or needed.

You have to go through enough paperwork and red tape now to get a passport in the first place. Let alone the cost.

$110 app fee + $25 execution fee + $10 for picture = $145 ea. So in my case if my family of 6 cruises (kids all adults now) it would be $870 for something we MAY need but is not required. To each their own but I would rather take our chances and deal with emergencies (rare) when they occur. I think people get mad when they spent all that money and it never gets them special treatment for the amount they spent.

As a Canadian, I must have a passport to enter the U.S. As I travel to Vegas three or four times yearly and cruise once yearly I get a lot of use out of it. I don't have a problem with having to purchase one and I renew it every five years. And I know should I become stranded somewhere unexpectedly, I have it tucked away.

As a Canadian, I must have a passport to enter the U.S. As I travel to Vegas three or four times yearly and cruise once yearly I get a lot of use out of it. I don't have a problem with having to purchase one and I renew it every five years. And I know should I become stranded somewhere unexpectedly, I have it tucked away.

That's the difference right there, you must have a passport. For the type of travel I am able to do I do not need one.

That's not a fair comparison though. All the other things you mentioned, you have a definite need for. On a closed loop cruise, you only have a conditional need for a passport... IF you have to get off the ship THEN you need a passport... or more accurately, wish you had one, since there are backup options even then.

Is a passport a good idea? Sure. You want to recommend that you should get one? OK. But is it required? No.

Now you are talking and I agree with you 100 percent. Glad that is over with. For awhile, you were on First and I was on Second and Abbot was on Third and Costello was at home plate.

What makes you think you are going to easily get a plane off a small island at 8 AM on a Monday morning?

Well, you are probably right. At one time I did have an "In" with Chavez but now I have to wait in line just like all the others.

No, not required on a closed loop cruise.

It's not required....but is it ever a good idea to risk travelling out of the country without one?

It seems that all of the arguments back and forth seem to be contingent on the fact that in past instances, the affected cruise line (Carnival) has stepped up to assist its passengers who travelled with no passport. Imo, the point is that with no passport, you are completely dependent on others for help in getting home. (Cruise line, embassy, passport agencies etc.) I think most people in favor of having a passport agree that it isn't wise to put yourself in this position unnecessarily.

Hypothetically, what if you don't want to go back to the original port and just want to fly directly home? A passport gives you a bit more freedom of choice. You always have the option of just booking your own flight and going home anytime you want. You don't have that option when you cruise with no passport.

The solution is quite simple, anyone can use a passport expediting service to get a new or replacement US Passport in 24 hours. Here is an example of one such service:

https://www.rushmypassport.com/step2.html?

It is also possible, in the current situation with Carnival, for an employee from Carnival who happens to be in the same city as any US Passport Agency (which are located in many major US cities) to act as a passport expeditor for Carnival guests - afterall, all that is required is that an appointment be made and the person show up with required information on each guest who needs a passport at the passport office. Since there are always onboard photographers on Carnival ships, it is even easy for Carnival to produce passport photos to email to the employee who is going to expedite the passports. Once the passports are expedited, then they are Fedexed to the Caribbean as an overnight parcel. The only possible holdup could be at customs in the Caribbean, but that is unlikely since the contents would only be passports. Sometimes, in a situation like this, the person who expedites the passports may also personally deliver the passports, especially, if there were some reason that the passport could not arrive via Fedex overnight whereas, someone with a valid passport could fly to the location with the passports and deliver them in less than 24 hours.

..... or you take responsibility for yourself and just have a passport in the first place, now that's pretty simple.

Just my opinion, but I think it's long overdue for passports to be required for all cruises and travel out of the country. I probably have a bit of a different take on it than others, because we lived in Europe for several years when I was growing up, so I've had a passport for many decades!:rolleyes:

Sadly, I have also needed my passport on a closed-loop cruise when my dad passed away and we had to leave the cruise in Cozumel to fly home.:( Believe me, the Mexican authorities when we disembarked the ship, the officials at the airport, and the CBP in Houston were not the least bit interested in a driver's license and birth certificate!

Serious question...aside from cost, why are so many people reluctant to get a passport?

Serious question...aside from cost, why are so many people reluctant to get a passport?

Why do you (or anyone else) care what other people do?? That's my question.

And FYI, the cruise lines and the travel industry were the ones that pushed for the closed loop extention.

It's not required and it has ZERO effect on your experience if I have a passport or not. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion, but I think it's long overdue for passports to be required for all cruises and travel out of the country.
Why? Why should a family of 4 be required to shell out an extra $600 for their vacation?

I probably have a bit of a different take on it than others, because we lived in Europe for several years when I was growing up, so I've had a passport for many decades!:rolleyes:
Same here as I've been fortunate enough to travel all over Europe, Asia and the Middle East. But for my parents, brother, and other friends who take the occasional cruise once every couple of years, it is just throwing money away.

Sadly, I have also needed my passport on a closed-loop cruise when my dad passed away and we had to leave the cruise in Cozumel to fly home.:( Believe me, the Mexican authorities when we disembarked the ship, the officials at the airport, and the CBP in Houston were not the least bit interested in a driver's license and birth certificate!
When a situation like that arises, you're already looking at last-minute airfare (which is not cheap), and possibly a night in a hotel. At that point, the extra cost of a temporary passport from the embassy isn't going to be that big of a deal when bundled in with the other money you are spending.

I'd say cost is the main reason. If the only time you travel out of the country is for cruising, you've essentially bought yourself a $150 souvenir that will probably save you an hour or two in the case of an emergency.

I'm glad the passport evangelists on this forum have been proven wrong. For years they've been saying "If something goes wrong with the ship and the cruise line has to fly you home, you'll be STUCK!". They even said that if the Triumph went to Progreso that those without passports would have to wait several days before going home. Another myth was that a passport will make embarkation much easier and faster. Total nonsense. I took my 16 year old daughter on the Sensation last fall and all she had was a birth certificate. It was every bit of seamless as when my wife and I embark with passports.

Bottom line: If you have a family of 4 taking a cruise, take that $600 and upgrade your cabin instead of throwing it away on something you don't need.

spending.

Bottom line: If you have a family of 4 taking a cruise, take that $600 and upgrade your cabin instead of throwing it away on something you don't need.

Now lets see, an upgraded cabin for a week ($600 down a rat hole) or passports that last 10 years? Sounds like a pretty simple value choice to me. 600/4/10= $15 per person per year; a couple of Starbucks coffees. I'm glad you're not my financial planner.

My guess is that pretty soon we will all need them, one way or another. Or, we can wait for our Federally issued travel papers coming soon to a trip near you.:rolleyes:

Why do you (or anyone else) care what other people do?? That's my question.

And FYI, the cruise lines and the travel industry were the ones that pushed for the closed loop extention.

It's not required and it has ZERO effect on your experience if I have a passport or not. :rolleyes:

Well it does, it slows down and clogs up the line when I'm trying to get off the ship.

I was in the other thread, and I think a lot of members are mad that these passangers are being allowed to fly home without passports. Almost as if they are taking it personal. :rolleyes:

I am sure they are taking it personally. I have read threads where posters call people without a full passport all sorts of bad names.

To now see that their main argument "what of in case of an emergency and you need to fly back.." is invalid must be tough. I am sure there will lots of huffing and puffing over this. :p

I am sure they are taking it personally. I have read threads where posters call people without a full passport all sorts of bad names.

To now see that their main argument "what of in case of an emergency and you need to fly back.." is invalid must be tough. I am sure there will lots of huffing and puffing over this. :p

Their argument is not invalid, it just does not apply in this case. If an individual cruiser needed to fly back they would need to obtain a temporary passport from the Consulate.

Archived