Christmas or New Years

We have the opportunity to cruise on Navigator of the Seas either over the Christmas holiday or over the New Years holiday. It will be our family of 4. The 2 kids are 16 and 14.

Having never cruised on this ship or over this time season, we really do not know what to expect. Can anybody who has sailed at this time let me know your thoughts?

We have cruised on FOS and loved her! We really did not use the flow rider on FOS so that will not be a huge breaking point for sailing on Navigator.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

We did a New Year’s sailing on the Freedom, just this past December and thought it was one of the best Caribbean cruises we’ve taken. A lot of the emphasis was on the actual NYE celebration. There was a special NYE menu, dining room decorations ( hats, beads, noisemakers, etc.), RCCL put on a huge Times Square type party in the Promenade, and had lot going on well after midnight. College football bowl games were shown at various venues including the outdoor pool screen.

While there were lots of families, they told us there were many more children on the cruise (Christmas cruise) just before ours.

There have been a few posts about Christmas cruises and it seems those who take them seem to enjoy them very much.

M

We have the opportunity to cruise on Navigator of the Seas either over the Christmas holiday or over the New Years holiday. It will be our family of 4. The 2 kids are 16 and 14.

Having never cruised on this ship or over this time season, we really do not know what to expect. Can anybody who has sailed at this time let me know your thoughts?

We have cruised on FOS and loved her! We really did not use the flow rider on FOS so that will not be a huge breaking point for sailing on Navigator.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

I would definitely do New Year with you having 2 older children.

It's a great party atmosphere and fantastic fun !

I've been on board for both celebrations. BOTH are great! I like the music at Christmas. They have special menus for BOTH holidays.

Wow factor- I'd give it to NYE since the count down is pretty fun and the atrium is amazing since they have balloons that drop.

I would look at where the ship is going for both weeks. If there is one you'd prefer do that week. I like both celebrations on board. It is just my DH & I no kids- we both work in schools so we only can travel during the holidays. Christmas has more kids... BUT both sailings will have kids. I'd probably look where the ship is going AND ask your teens which would they prefer if the schedules are different.

HAVE FUN deciding! good problem to have!

Choosing between the two, I would go on the New Years sailing. For the price difference, I would go the week before Christmas, or the week after New Years, upgrade the room and have an amazing time spending the difference in cost. I just can not see spending twice as much to be there for a short moment of celebration. Either way, have fun!

Choosing between the two, I would go on the New Years sailing. For the price difference, I would go the week before Christmas, or the week after New Years, upgrade the room and have an amazing time spending the difference in cost. I just can not see spending twice as much to be there for a short moment of celebration. Either way, have fun!

Both of those would be out of the question for a family with two children in high school.

That is the reason that they are cheaper.

Thank you all for the replies. Being that the kids will both be in high school and I work at a school, travel time is limited. That being said, we will look closely at the itinerary and hopefully make a choice. I think that the ship herself can be part of the destination as well!

Thank you all for the replies. Being that the kids will both be in high school and I work at a school, travel time is limited. That being said, we will look closely at the itinerary and hopefully make a choice. I think that the ship herself can be part of the destination as well!

Lisa, part of your answer will depend on this:

Does your family celebrate Christmas?

Some people who do find it difficult to be away from the rest of the family at that time; others find it a blessed relief! ;)

If you don't, then being on a ship can mean that you are away from "most" of the hoopla surrounding the holiday, although they do a pretty good job of being festive.

Santa Claus visits and gives presents to the children, the ship is thoroughly decorated, there is a 'special holiday menu' for Christmas dinner, many activities (like caroling) revolve around the holiday.

I have done a Christmas cruise once, and enjoyed it, and done New Year's Eve cruises MANY times, and LOVED them.

I will tell you this:

I am a teacher.

My first cruise was when my two children were the age of your two.

Taking teenagers of that age on a cruise over New Year's solves A LOT of problems. Where will they be? Who will be in their group? Will they be safe?

With you on a ship, you know where they are, with whom they are, and what they are doing. A big "win" as far as I am concerned!

:)

NYE - as a celebration you will prolly remember it well. THe NYE celebrations are fun and most of the ship partakes. On the NYE cruise I was on there was a huge party on deck, no land in site, no moon and at the stroke of midnight the captain lets loose with the ships whistle (horn). Pretty surreal as you feel you are the only peeps on earth.

At dinner they passed out hats and noise makers and MDR was a festive party.

We did a New Year’s sailing on the Freedom, just this past December and thought it was one of the best Caribbean cruises we’ve taken. A lot of the emphasis was on the actual NYE celebration. There was a special NYE menu, dining room decorations ( hats, beads, noisemakers, etc.), RCCL put on a huge Times Square type party in the Promenade, and had lot going on well after midnight. College football bowl games were shown at various venues including the outdoor pool screen.

While there were lots of families, they told us there were many more children on the cruise (Christmas cruise) just before ours.

There have been a few posts about Christmas cruises and it seems those who take them seem to enjoy them very much.

M

I was on this cruise also and I agree the vibe was special. I have sailed Xmas cruises and families try to stay together.

We spent the last 2 New Year's Eve on Mariner and had a fabulous time! Great enough that we have already booked the next one on Navigator. It's a bummer that dry dock is scheduled for January 20014, but still promises to be a lot of fun.

Did the NYear's cruise two years ago on Navigator and loved it.....lots of partying, special menus, great fun.....would do another NY cruise in a second if the price was right.

Would rather be home at Christmas, but that's me....

Archived