Westerdam or RCCL Jewel

jonj

I am asking this question on both boards

We are down to the choice of sailing on the Westerdam or RCCL Jewel because of the itineraries being offered during the week we can travel. We are two adults and one 17 (b)

Westerdam is going to Turks and Half Moon Cay which are the two main draws

Jewel is doing the southern caribbean and we have not visited any of the ports other than St Maarten

A little background - we have sailed on RCCL twice on the Explorer and the Freedom

Once on HAL on the Zuiderdam

twice on NCL

twice on Carnival

Bunch of times on Disney

Plus or minus between these two ships?

We will probably go with a suite on either

Thank you

I have sailed with RCL on the Radiance and on HAL 26 times with another scheduled soon, March 16th.

The best cruise in suite accommodation that I have taken was the Radiance, BY FAR. The suite was beautiful, quite a bit more luxurious than HAL' Pinnacle Suites (especially the bathroom). While the verandah on the Radiance was small than on HAL's suites, it still fit two chaises.

Best perk on RCL is the Concierge lounge.

Why have I stayed with HAL. HAL's loyalty program is good and I get lots of free or reduced price stuff. However, I should have worked my way up the RCL program, but I only sailed on the Radiance, two years ago.

I have sailed with RCL on the Radiance and on HAL 26 times with another scheduled soon, March 16th.

The best cruise in suite accommodation that I have taken was the Radiance, BY FAR. The suite was beautiful, quite a bit more luxurious than HAL' Pinnacle Suites (especially the bathroom). While the verandah on the Radiance was small than on HAL's suites, it still fit two chaises.

Best perk on RCL is the Concierge lounge.

Why have I stayed with HAL. HAL's loyalty program is good and I get lots of free or reduced price stuff. However, I should have worked my way up the RCL program, but I only sailed on the Radiance, two years ago.

Sorry, I meant to write Neptune Suite. HAL does n;ot have a Pinnacle Suite.

Thanks

Doesn't the westerdam have a concierge lounge? I also like the laundry service on Hal for the suite.

Suite perks vs itinerary? I guess we have to figure out which itinerary we ultimately want to do more

We like RCCL but have not been in suite (yet next cruise will try it) Westerdam is a very nice ship, perks for suites are free laundry, p;riority tendering, neptune lounge ( which does not have booze) and breakfast at Pinnacle which is a really nice resturant. RCCL has better entertainment but food is better on Hal, Hal also will have 1 or 2 coktail parties for suites with officers and normally free lunch with drinks. Both are good choices. Also like the King size bed that is standard for suites on Hal, preety sure RCCL is a queen size

Westerdam does indeed have a Concierge Lounge, the Neptune Lounge. Main difference is that the concierge is there from early morning until about 8:30 pm. The Neptune Lounge does not serve liquor. What I really enjoyed about RCL's Concierge Lounge was the opportunity to meet fellow cruisers in an intimate setting. Also the RCL concierge was more worldly and sophisticated than the HAL personnel who are very nice and helpful, but don't seem as sure of themselves.

Yes, HAL does give suite guests free laundry and dry cleaning service. This was not offered when I cruised on the Radiance. Hope this is helpful.:p

I sailed on the Westerdam recently and had a Neptune Suite.

A couple of comments - the Westerdam has the highest repeat passenger ratio

on HAL (next to the Prinsendam).

I found the food good on this ship - the concierges very good and service in the MDR was fabulous.

I can understand why so many passenger return to this ship. It's a happy ship with a happy, dedicated crew.

Now, admittedly my favourite ship is the Prinsendam but she's in a class all by herself. I honestly found the service on this ship the best I have seen in a long, long time (next to the Prinsendam).

Considering it's not one of the 'small ships', it is quite impressive.

For us she outshined the Zuiderdam (and we loved that ship) and the Ooesterdam.

Just our experiences though;)

One thing to check is whether there is a separate lounge for Diamond members on the RCL ship you are considering. When we last sailed on RCL in a Grand Suite, the Concierge Lounge was used not only by suite guests, but also by Diamond members. In the evening we could not find a seat in the Concierge Lounge after dinner. The vast majority of guests in the Lounge were Diamond members. We ended up getting our free cocktails in paper cups and taking them back to our Suite. Overall, we have enjoyed being suite guests with both RCL and HAL (we are 4 star on HAL). If you enjoy free drinks, RCL is the better choice. If you need more concierge access and want a nicer suite lounge experience, HAL is the better choice. The verandahs on HAL are much, much nicer than RCL but the bathroom in the Grand Suite on RCL is much, much nicer than the bathroom on HAL. I wouldn't hesitate to travel in a Neptune Suite on HAL or in a Grand Suite on RCL. Both offer excellent different amenities.

Another thing to consider is the over all ship and passenger demographics. Looking at a 7 day cruise RCI and 7 day cruise HAL there will be lots of children on board no matter what time of the year. My experience as well as others is that many run a muck all over the place :eek: HAL has a more upscale feel through out the ship. Over all food quality is considerably higher on HAL as well as the dining experience. I will agree that the Suites are quite nice on RCI (HAL really needs to look at their competition) and very true about the Concierge Lounge. I do not think that the Jewel has a separate Diamond Members Lounge so it will be crowded most of the time. many Diamond Plus members cruise the 7 day cruises quite frequently. I have never cruised Jewel but have done 3 RCI the last being Mariner and while I do stress never say never. I am pretty confident I will never cruise another RCI ship. Many RCI Crown and Anchor members are much like the HAL Mariner loyalist they never leave that cruise line and if they do are quite shocked at what others have. But there really is a big world out there with other choices for cruising and some that are quite good. I do consider HAL to be several steps above RCI over all and if there is any consideration in trying HAL Westerdam I would say go for it.

Another point about the food service3. Myself, I don-t see much difference regarding the food on either line. However, RCL has some "mystery meat" they claim is prime roast. Actually it was pot roast disguised as roast beef at least the end cut was. However, it was quite tasty.

Here is a point that is probably more helpful. If you would like to enjoy a more informal dinner on a night or two, be aware that service in HAL's lidos stops at 8PM. After that for informal service you must use room service (perhaps best a sea) or wait until 11pm, sometimes a little earlier for the late night snack.

RCL at least keeps its informal eating area open until 9pm.

If one line could take the good stuff from its competitors, all the rest could sink!:p

Archived