Heads up when booking on RCI web site

As I think most people will agree, the RCI web site leaves a bit to be desired, especially when looking to book a cruise. I have come to live with the ridiculous pop-up window asking if you want to upgrade to the next cabin level ("For just $128 more a day per person ...", no, that's why I picked this cabin class!!!) and the sometimes interesting navigation, but I have encountered something that could potentially cause great inconvenience if not caught soon enough.

I was looking to book cruise for next year so I went onto the web site's Advance Search screen, selected September 2014 and Explorer of the Seas. Three cruises came up, including the one I was looking for, 9 night Canada & New England sailing September 11, so far so good. I then clicked on the "Book Now" button which took me to the initial booking screen where I entered the number of persons, etc. and then on to selecting a cabin. In no time at all, I had finished booking my cruise and payed my deposit (and no, I did not want to upgrade to a Junior Suite). I was about to happily log off when something caught my eye, the date August 28. I quickly looked at the reservation and saw that, indeed, I had booked the August 28 sailing! Fortunately, I was able to have the booking switched to the September 11 sailing in the same cabin.

Curious as to what happened, I went through the exact same steps to get to the initial booking screen. Lo and behold, the date was "Thu - 28 August, 2014". I had failed to notice that despite clicking on the "Book Now" button from the September 11 search result the date field on the booking screen was not defaulted to that date.

So, what is the moral to this story, besides that the RCI web site has, shall we say, deficiencies? Be very careful when booking from the search results. Make sure the cruise you are booking is really the one you want. While the error would probably be noticed some time before the actual cruise date, if it isn't caught soon enough one may end up not getting their desired cabin or if too late, finding the desired cruise is sold out.

I have noticed this quirk with the website when I have done mock bookings to check prices on certain cabin categories. I would get the results and think "oh wow, a big price drop" and then I would go over everything and notice it was a different date. I agree, it can slip past you quite easily.

As I think most people will agree, the RCI web site leaves a bit to be desired, especially when looking to book a cruise.

Sorry - I can't agree with you. I've booked many RCI cruises on-line over the past several years and have never encountered a problem.

But yes, you DO have to double check and review everything before hitting that "Submit" button!

As I think most people will agree, the RCI web site leaves a bit to be desired, especially when looking to book a cruise. I have come to live with the ridiculous pop-up window asking if you want to upgrade to the next cabin level ("For just $128 more a day per person ...", no, that's why I picked this cabin class!!!) and the sometimes interesting navigation, but I have encountered something that could potentially cause great inconvenience if not caught soon enough.

I was looking to book cruise for next year so I went onto the web site's Advance Search screen, selected September 2014 and Explorer of the Seas. Three cruises came up, including the one I was looking for, 9 night Canada & New England sailing September 11, so far so good. I then clicked on the "Book Now" button which took me to the initial booking screen where I entered the number of persons, etc. and then on to selecting a cabin. In no time at all, I had finished booking my cruise and payed my deposit (and no, I did not want to upgrade to a Junior Suite). I was about to happily log off when something caught my eye, the date August 28. I quickly looked at the reservation and saw that, indeed, I had booked the August 28 sailing! Fortunately, I was able to have the booking switched to the September 11 sailing in the same cabin.

Curious as to what happened, I went through the exact same steps to get to the initial booking screen. Lo and behold, the date was "Thu - 28 August, 2014". I had failed to notice that despite clicking on the "Book Now" button from the September 11 search result the date field on the booking screen was not defaulted to that date.

So, what is the moral to this story, besides that the RCI web site has, shall we say, deficiencies? Be very careful when booking from the search results. Make sure the cruise you are booking is really the one you want. While the error would probably be noticed some time before the actual cruise date, if it isn't caught soon enough one may end up not getting their desired cabin or if too late, finding the desired cruise is sold out.

With that being said, I booked through BJ's Travel and our friends booked through Royal Caribbean on line. I have noticed the price lowering twce. Both times, BJ's adjusted my balance. Royal Caribbean refused to lower our friends balance. We both have a Promenade room on the 7th floor that adjoins. Royal Caribbean was really hateful to my friends when they called and asked them to reduce it. BJ's Travel was very nice and accomodating. What a difference....

Just another quick thing. I've booked somewhere around 40 cruises on the RCI web site, it's just this time I was inattentive and didn't notice the difference in the date. I just want to draw attention to something that may happen, and apparently has, to other people so that they don't make the same mistake.

I've been in software development for over 30 years, I know if one of my company's QA people came across this they would write it up as a bug, maybe not the highest priority, but a bug. When a user interface is designed one of the prime considerations is to limit the user's ability to do something they didn't mean to do.

With that being said, I booked through BJ's Travel and our friends booked through Royal Caribbean on line. I have noticed the price lowering twce. Both times, BJ's adjusted my balance. Royal Caribbean refused to lower our friends balance. We both have a Promenade room on the 7th floor that adjoins. Royal Caribbean was really hateful to my friends when they called and asked them to reduce it. BJ's Travel was very nice and accomodating. What a difference....

I find this very hard to believe especially when you use the word "hateful". RCI has always lowered prices with no quesitons asked as long as it is before final payment and is not for "new bookings only".

Instead of clicking on "Book Now", when on the screen that shows you different itineraries for the ship and month you picked, click on the actual departure date you are interested in for that cruise. For example, it might say Feb 09, Feb 15, Feb 28, if you are interested in the Feb 28 sailing, click directly on that "box". It will then take you to the correct date to select your room, etc... Once on the next screen you can click the book now button next to the room category you desire.

I too have noticed that if you click "Book Now" it tends to take you to the first available date for that ship/itinerary.

Not sure if I explained that well, but I tried! :o

Dan.

I have noticed this quirk with the website when I have done mock bookings to check prices on certain cabin categories. I would get the results and think "oh wow, a big price drop" and then I would go over everything and notice it was a different date. I agree, it can slip past you quite easily.

yup...me too!

I find this very hard to believe especially when you use the word "hateful". RCI has always lowered prices with no quesitons asked as long as it is before final payment and is not for "new bookings only".

My thoughts exactly. I always book online (20+ cruises) and have never had a problem getting a price drop (before final payment of course) or with any other issues.

With that being said, I booked through **** Travel and our friends booked through Royal Caribbean on line. I have noticed the price lowering twce. Both times, **** adjusted my balance. Royal Caribbean refused to lower our friends balance. We both have a Promenade room on the 7th floor that adjoins. Royal Caribbean was really hateful to my friends when they called and asked them to reduce it. **** Travel was very nice and accomodating. What a difference....

FYI...I bet your post is removed. We are not allowed to mention actual travel agencies.

Back to the original OP point-- Yes, I've seen the date change too. Come on, RCI -- we know when we can travel. Now, if RCI wants to add a "search other nearby sailings and dates" that would be great. There is a popular travel agency (who shall remain nameless), and their website has a very easy-to-search function. RCI needs that.

Dan P although I book thru our TA, I have made sure if I am looking at the prices etc, and there are two dates listed be sure you select the correct day. The same applies to balcony cabins, make sure you select the correct numbered category to get the correct price.

Instead of clicking on "Book Now", when on the screen that shows you different itineraries for the ship and month you picked, click on the actual departure date you are interested in for that cruise. For example, it might say Feb 09, Feb 15, Feb 28, if you are interested in the Feb 28 sailing, click directly on that "box". It will then take you to the correct date to select your room, etc... Once on the next screen you can click the book now button next to the room category you desire.

I too have noticed that if you click "Book Now" it tends to take you to the first available date for that ship/itinerary.

Not sure if I explained that well, but I tried! :o

Dan.

You are quite right, which is probably why I haven't encountered this before. However, in this case the cruise I was interested in was the only one that fit the search criteria, i.e. in September, so I didn't see the need to drill down any further. Ah, to save myself a few clicks (and time waiting for the screen) I set myself on the road to peril.:eek:

Yes, this is exactly right and it was one mouse click away from catching me out, also. Spotted it just as I was about to purchase the reservation. They should really fix this.

I would normally call and do my booking over the phone but did book my first every RCL cruise this week on their website. It was a little glitchy but having experienced NCL's and CCL's I have to say they are all pretty much the same.

I've done booking via TA and RCI's Certified Planners. Only use the online screen to "mock-book" and get sample pricings. Royal's Planners are very helpful (at least whenever I have worked with them). I supposed I'm a bit frightened of what could possibly go haywire with their system, and IMO that's too much money to spend to have my reservation goofed up.

..........I was looking to book cruise for next year so I went onto the web site's Advance Search screen, selected September 2014 and Explorer of the Seas. Three cruises came up, including the one I was looking for, 9 night Canada & New England sailing September 11, so far so good. I then clicked on the "Book Now" button which took me to the initial booking screen where I entered the number of persons, etc. and then on to selecting a cabin. In no time at all, I had finished booking my cruise and payed my deposit (and no, I did not want to upgrade to a Junior Suite). I was about to happily log off when something caught my eye, the date August 28. I quickly looked at the reservation and saw that, indeed, I had booked the August 28 sailing! .........
Thank you for the heads up!

Hope you reported it.

I just tried doing the same thing and noticed that they have not yet fixed it.

I selected September 11, the only date shown for that category so there was not even a possibility of choosing any other date for that particular selection.

Yet in the "Your Cruise" box displayed on the right side of the next screen it says

TRAVEL DATES:

Thu 28 Aug - Sat 06 Sep 2014

:eek:

Archived