Norwegian Breakaway, Is GoingTo Be A Game Changer!!!!

Big Jay

I Really Beleive That The Breakaway, Will Be A Game Changer, For The Cruising Industry!!!

NCL Breakaway, And The Geataway, Will Be "A BRAND NEW CRUISING EXPERIENCE"!!!!!!

I Will Be Sailing Her In October, And I'm Pretty Sure I Would'nt Be Doing, Another Carnivial Cruise!!!!

It Will Be NCL, Royal Caribbean, For ME!!!!!

Maybee One Day I'll, Even Try Princess....

So Excited!!! I CAN"T WAIT TO BREAKAWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I'll be taking my first Norwegian cruise on the Epic in June. I'm looking forward to something different after having taken several Carnival cruises. Our last one on the Carnival Freedom was a bit of a disappointment.

The Breakaway looks really nice! I love that it leaves from New York because it's just a short flight for us to NYC.

I've tried to convince my husband to cruise out of New York but so far no dice - he likes to start and end his cruise in warm weather. He also says if he makes the trip to New York he'd rather stay there than cruise anyways.

Looks like I'll have to find another travelling companion..lol.

I Really Beleive That The Breakaway, Will Be A Game Changer, For The Cruising Industry!!!

NCL Breakaway, And The Geataway, Will Be "A BRAND NEW CRUISING EXPERIENCE"!!!!!!

I Will Be Sailing Her In October, And I'm Pretty Sure I Would'nt Be Doing, Another Carnivial Cruise!!!!

It Will Be NCL, Royal Caribbean, For ME!!!!!

Maybee One Day I'll, Even Try Princess....

So Excited!!! I CAN"T WAIT TO BREAKAWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Why will it be a gamechanger?

Hi Big Jay, I don't wish to deflate your enthusiasm, but many aspects of the 'Breakaway' design and experience (and 'Getaway') are based directly on NCL's biggest vessel and first mega-ship 'Norwegian Epic'.

I believe that Epic changed the game for NCL. (In turn Epic’s design expanded on the ‘Freestyle’ idea pioneered on previous NCL ships).

In many ways Epic's design was so 'outside the box' that NCL have had to take a step backwards making the design of ‘Breakaway’ more ‘within the box’. I'm specifically talking about the 'New Wave' cabins on-board Epic, which are some the most stylish at sea and some of the narrowest! However it was the controversial bathroom design that proved to be too much for the cruising masses (and many of the press) to handle. One quote said: "What were they thinking of..."

Some consider that Epic is also one of the ugliest cruise ships afloat, with the ‘Haven’ complex sitting over the forward superstructure like an ungainly ‘growth’. They also forgot to give such a big ship Azipods, making manoeuvring quite difficult.

Breakaway is not unlike a slightly smaller Epic with conventional cabins. The Haven has been more integrated into the superstructure design. She does have Azipods.

The entertainment concepts (branded entertainment) like Cirque Diner in a Spiegel tent, the Ice Bar and the ‘Manhattan Room’ come directly from the Epic. The multitude of other dining options is also very similar to those available on-board Epic. Breakaway will also have 'studio' (single) cabins like Epic has.

The one big difference on-board Breakaway (and not on Epic) is ‘the Waterfront’ feature. This re-invents the prom-deck concept, with dining options and bars having sea views. (However the cynical have already pointed out that there unlikely to be any ‘free’ dining options on the waterfront, so NCL have effectively worked out a way of charging passengers for a sea-view, while dining!)

Personally I think Breakaway (like Epic) will offer an EXCELLENT experience. The addition of the Waterfront is a very positive one, especially in fine climates. (However I’m not sure that I would want a cabin on the deck directly above).

As for ‘game-changing’ I’m not so sure.

(Royal Caribbean have changed a few games, most recently with Oasis/Allure).

I am surprised how much the inside of Breakaway looks like Epic. It appears they made Epic 2 but got rid of the most controversial aspects of Epic i.e. split bathroom, not lots of access to the sea, etc.

NCL made the atrium very Epic like. Nothing flashy or wow. The ceilings are low like Epic and so is the staircase chandalier area. They also kept almost the identical entertainment (Ice Bar, Fat Cats, Howel at the Moon, Cirque Dreams, etc).

So they took the best Epic features and got rid of the controversial ones. No doubt it will be a great ship but I dont think it will be a "game changer." If anything NCL played it safe. NCL was very daring with Epic. And I applaud NCL for thinking outside the box on that one :)

Hi Big Jay, I don't wish to deflate your enthusiasm, but many aspects of the 'Breakaway' design and experience (and 'Getaway') are based directly on NCL's biggest vessel and first mega-ship 'Norwegian Epic'.

I believe that Epic changed the game for NCL. (In turn Epic’s design expanded on the ‘Freestyle’ idea pioneered on previous NCL ships).

In many ways Epic's design was so 'outside the box' that NCL have had to take a step backwards making the design of ‘Breakaway’ more ‘within the box’. I'm specifically talking about the 'New Wave' cabins on-board Epic, which are some the most stylish at sea and some of the narrowest! However it was the controversial bathroom design that proved to be too much for the cruising masses (and many of the press) to handle. One quote said: "What were they thinking of..."

Some consider that Epic is also one of the ugliest cruise ships afloat, with the ‘Haven’ complex sitting over the forward superstructure like an ungainly ‘growth’. They also forgot to give such a big ship Azipods, making manoeuvring quite difficult.

Breakaway is not unlike a slightly smaller Epic with conventional cabins. The Haven has been more integrated into the superstructure design. She does have Azipods.

The entertainment concepts (branded entertainment) like Cirque Diner in a Spiegel tent, the Ice Bar and the ‘Manhattan Room’ come directly from the Epic. The multitude of other dining options is also very similar to those available on-board Epic. Breakaway will also have 'studio' (single) cabins like Epic has.

The one big difference on-board Breakaway (and not on Epic) is ‘the Waterfront’ feature. This re-invents the prom-deck concept, with dining options and bars having sea views. (However the cynical have already pointed out that there unlikely to be any ‘free’ dining options on the waterfront, so NCL have effectively worked out a way of charging passengers for a sea-view, while dining!)

Personally I think Breakaway (like Epic) will offer an EXCELLENT experience. The addition of the Waterfront is a very positive one, especially in fine climates. (However I’m not sure that I would want a cabin on the deck directly above).

As for ‘game-changing’ I’m not so sure.

(Royal Caribbean have changed a few games, most recently with Oasis/Allure).

I Agree With You About Oasis/Allure, Even Though These Ships Are Too HUGE For Me!!!

Breakaway Will BE A Game Changer, Because It's Perfecting, All That Was Wrong With The Epic!!!!

More Entertainment, More Water Slides, A Promenade Deck, Where You Can Dine Outside!!! More Views Of The Ocean, As Well As More Open Spaces!, And Most Of All It's Sailing From My Homeport, NYC!!!:cool:

I think the biggest "game changer" is NCL stepping out of the race for the biggest ship in the world. That is a plus for NCL (IMHO).

RCI are likely to hold the 'record' for many years to come. Epic is currently 'number two' biggest ship, but a long way behind Oasis/Allure.

RCI's Quantum class will become the second biggest class of ship, but still a long way behind Oasis/Allure. RCI's third Oasis class will be fractionally bigger than Oasis/allure, so it will be number one and oasis/allure will move into second place.

I believe Breakaway Plus will be bigger than Epic, putting it in the number four place, behind the Third Oasis, Oasis/Allure and Quantum.

While I agreee that NCL Breakaway wil have some nice features and it continuing on what the Epic started.

And I will probably sail on the Getaway in the future since the second or 3rd ship in a class usually has the bugs worked out.

Somethings...... While I hope they work I have concerns with

Like..... The outside dining.... How do they stop the windtunnel effect while the ship is moving:confused:

I'll be taking my first Norwegian cruise on the Epic in June. I'm looking forward to something different after having taken several Carnival cruises. Our last one on the Carnival Freedom was a bit of a disappointment.

The Breakaway looks really nice! I love that it leaves from New York because it's just a short flight for us to NYC.

I've tried to convince my husband to cruise out of New York but so far no dice - he likes to start and end his cruise in warm weather. He also says if he makes the trip to New York he'd rather stay there than cruise anyways.

Looks like I'll have to find another travelling companion..lol.

You might have a good shot at persuading your husband to try the Getaway (starting and ending in good weather) and that wouldn't be a bad thing ;)

I think Epic was a game changer for NCL in regards to new food and entertainment options. The fact that NCL is homeporting such a large ship in NYC may be the "game changer" Historically the major cruiselines such as RCI and Carnival homeport most of their newest ships in Florida. There are alot of posters on the Royal board that feel RCI will follow NCL's lead and homeport their newest ship Quantum of the Seas in Cape Liberty NJ to compete with the Breakaway.

I think Epic was a game changer for NCL in regards to new food and entertainment options. The fact that NCL is homeporting such a large ship in NYC may be the "game changer" Historically the major cruiselines such as RCI and Carnival homeport most of their newest ships in Florida. There are alot of posters on the Royal board that feel RCI will follow NCL's lead and homeport their newest ship Quantum of the Seas in Cape Liberty NJ to compete with the Breakaway.

Very good point. When I saw that NCL brings Breakaway to NY I immediately thought that the loser in this will be Royal Carribean. I cruised with both lines, liked them both but the MAJOR point to MANY people is to be able not to fly to the cruiseport.

Royal has Explorer of the Seas in Bayonne for 10-12 ? years. I have 5 cruises on Explorer and love the ship but how many times you can go on the same ship?

It's a very smart marketing for NCL to bring this new and big ship to NY. It WILL take cruisers away from RCL. The potential is huge.

As for me... Breakaway.. Here I come! :)

Archived