A cigarette question

sra12574

I don't know much about cigarettes but I know they are much cheaper on board . I wanted to pick some up for my coworkers . They smoke the Marlboro Menthals in a teal colored box. Do they sell them in the duty free and how much are they ?

Our friend smokes marlboro, but said he would take pall malls which are 2 cartons for $31 onboard.

You supposedly can only bring home one carton and I was by myself. So, its taking a chance buying 2 cartons unless you are cruising with someone else.

Our friend smokes marlboro, but said he would take pall malls which are 2 cartons for $31 onboard.

You supposedly can only bring home one carton and I was by myself. So, its taking a chance buying 2 cartons unless you are cruising with someone else.

If I'm not mistaken, you're allowed two cartons duty free (per person). You can bring more, but you'd have to claim it on your declared purchases and have to pay the taxes.

If I'm not mistaken, you're allowed two cartons duty free (per person). You can bring more, but you'd have to claim it on your declared purchases and have to pay the taxes.

Really? I guess someone told me wrong. I dont smoke and this was the first time I have ever bought them myself. It would be great if you are right.

I also read on CC that you cant pay taxes on them like you can on liquor, that they just tear them up and throw them away.

I got them for my parents neighbor who has parkinsons. the funny thing is people like my dad have always talked me out of buying them .. dont want to encourage the poor guy to smoke lol. Like he doesnt have enough to worry about, the poor man can barely shuffle along now. So this time I didnt tell anyone, just the guy and slipped them to him.

I bought 10 on a cruise out of Boston last year. When we left the ship, I handed my paper (forgot what is called..declaration of goods???") to some teen in a uniform and never looked back. They dont check anything.

Duty-Free Allowance: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board. 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands. 5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older). Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

Duty-Free Allowance: All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

Duty-Free Allowance: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board. 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands. 5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older). Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Duty-Free Allowance: All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

Well boo!!! Thanks, thats what I had always read. We went to jamaica, caymans and cozumel.

On one of my cruises I was thinking it was 2 cartons per person and I put 4 cartons down for me and my husband and ended up having to pay duty taxes on 2 of them. They did look at the paper and then pulled me out of line in order for me to pay the tax.

• 9 months later...
On one of my cruises I was thinking it was 2 cartons per person and I put 4 cartons down for me and my husband and ended up having to pay duty taxes on 2 of them. They did look at the paper and then pulled me out of line in order for me to pay the tax.

I know this is an old post - however, I was wondering how much the duty tax was per carton.

Thanks

In Miami, at least, I'm told that you aren't allowed to pay tax on any extra cigarettes. They are seized and destroyed.

So you are not allowed to purchase more than your personal duty free exemption? I thought perhaps you could pay a duty tax on the cartons that exceeded your limit.

Thanks!