Carnival Sunshine vs. RCCL Serenade

Hello....Carnival cherrleader here considering jumping ship. :p

I have cruised RCCL once before and had no complaints at all. I just usually cruise Carnival because A. it's cheaper and B. it's more convenient for me. However...I have to admit that carnivals recent issues have me a little concerned.

I am booked on the new Carnival Sunshine from NO in Jan 2014. I am considering switching to the RCCL Serenade also from NO the week after. Thought I would see if any of the RCCL regulars had any tips or suggestions or opinions for me.

I think I may be inclined to go with the Serenade, that class of RCI ship (Radiance) is my favorite class. One reason reason I would opt for the Serenade is there will a lot less people! They are increasing the passenger capacity of the Destiny/Sunshine... I'm not necessarily a believer in the more the merrier;), since they are not going to make the ship any larger:D!

Full disclosure... yes I very fond of RCI and yes I have been on Carnival, but for me RCI is just a better fit. Hope you enjoy which ever one you choose!

As a person that has cruised Carnival more than Royal Caribbean I must agree, pick the Serenade of the seas and make the switch!

Couple reasons:

1) Trying new lines and experiences is a good thing, what better time than now!

2) Carnival Sunshines (Destiny's) track record isn't that kosher. I've cruised many Carnival ships and it's doubtful I'd ever cruise on that ship.

I've had great experiences with Royal Caribbean and can't wait for all three Royal Caribbean cruises I'll be on this year. I believe you'll love it and won't regret it!

My most recent Carnival cruise was this past December so it's not like it's been a long time since I've cruised Carnival.

Have a great cruise in which ever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

If prices are not too different, I'd take Serenade in a heartbeat.

Serenade is part of the ever popular Radiance class. Radiance class to Royal is like Spirit class to Carnival. Smaller but very well liked.

I have a lot of reservation with Carnival's new Sunshine. It's basically an re-fitted Destiny, an old and poorly designed ship. The upgrade added a bunch of rooms, making it even more crowded. The new serenity looks pretty cool, but that's like putting lipstick on a pig.

I think I may be inclined to go with the Serenade, that class of RCI ship (Radiance) is my favorite class. One reason reason I would opt for the Serenade is there will a lot less people! They are increasing the passenger capacity of the Destiny/Sunshine... I'm not necessarily a believer in the more the merrier;), since they are not going to make the ship any larger:D!

Full disclosure... yes I very fond of RCI and yes I have been on Carnival, but for me RCI is just a better fit. Hope you enjoy which ever one you choose!

I'm with Bill on that. I don't know what they're doing to the Destiny/Sunshine beyond increasing capacity but it was already pretty crowded. I've been on two of Radiance Class ships and their space ratio seemed better than Destiny/Sunshine's all day long. Radiance Class are very nice ships.

I suggest the Serenade. I think the Radiance class ships are some of the most beautiful ships at sea. They are not my favorite class RCI ship but they are very nice.

The Sunshine is a rebuilt 16-17 year old ship. Carnival is removing one entire floor of the main showroom to add cabins. They are also adding spa cabins on the upper deck and removing part of the rear show lounge to add cabins. One deck of the forward dining room is being turned into specialty dining venues. All of this adds up to more guests on board with less public space available. I cruised on this ship when she was new. It was crowded then and will be worse after the revitalization.

I was tempted by the Carnival Sunshine when I saw their great promotional video and since it sails from NOLA, but I have my doubts as to how much they can do to an older ship with mediocre (at best) reviews- much less rename it and brand it as a "new ship."

After all of Carnivals recent trouble I say heck no! That being said, I do not like the Radiance class ships. It is my least favorite RC class, particularly for the Caribbean since it has a small pool deck and enclosed solarium. If you like looking out windows, it's great, has lots of glass. If you like being outside enjoying the sun, views, etc, it leaves a lot to be desired (in our opinions).

We are platinum with carnival , only sailed one rccl, and two ncl (with 2 more booked). We sail the conquest in may , already paid in full. I am looking real serious at serenade of the sea for another cruise. Taking a serious break from carnival. Only reason booked the one in may is we like the key west/Bahamas thing.

Our one rccl cruise was Jan. 2006 after Katrina tore up new Orleans and carnival farmed out their ships. It was awesome on rccl.

So those of you have been on the serenade can you tell me what to expect? Are there specialty restaurants and do they charge a fee? I'm interested in this Rita's place. Anybody got links to menus, drink menus, compass's???

Archived