Kudos to Camp Carnival

beckyjohns

We just returned from the Carnival Liberty. The kids loved the camp, more so than our previous cruises on Carnival. I wanted to share a quick story.

I know the question has come up here many times and there always seems to be a heated debate about good parenting, etc with regards to leaving kids at camp in port while parents go on an excursion. I don't want to start the debate again. To each his own. But, we've left our kids many times with comfort in the fact that the counselors are trained to deal with potential problems. We also take comfort in the fact that If Carnival were not prepared to deal with potential problems, they wouldn't allow you to leave kids at camp while you got off the ship.

While in Belize, we left our kids while we went scuba diving on a Carnival excursion. As it turned out, the ship arrived late and all tenders and excursions were about an hour late leaving the ship that morning. Due to the bad weather, our dive excursion operator also had a longer boat trip than planned. For this excursion, the dive boat picked usup directy from the ship and returned us directly to the ship, in order to avoid the long tender ride. We were scheduled to return to the ship by 4PM at the latest, with Camp closing at 4:45. Well, much to our dismay (and completely out of our control), we were not dropped off at the ship until 5:45PM. We literally RAN to Camp, only to find locked doors. After knocking repeatedly, we decided to head to the kids dinner buffet which was scheduled to start at 6PM. Sure enough, there were 4 counselors doting on our 2 kids in the buffet while prepareing for the kids' dinner. I apologized profusely for being late and they assured me that it was no problem at all and they understand it was out of our control.

As much as I don't ever want it to happen again for my own peace of mind, I can rest assured knowing that the counselors will handle any problems. My kids had fun the whole time, the counselors explained to them why we were late, and then took care of them until we arrived.

You were probably going out of your mind with worry. And if they are anything like my kids they were probably like "What are you doing here? You are interrupting my fun!"

Welcome back! :D

Yep, I was in tears. My kids begged to stay for dinner at camp rather than coming to dinner with us after being there all day! I told them "no"!

Yep, I was in tears. My kids begged to stay for dinner at camp rather than coming to dinner with us after being there all day! I told them "no"!

I can just imagine how frightened you were - bet those workers got a really nice tip!

That must have been nerve wracking. Our upcoming cruise will be the first with the kids, and I know neither one of us will have the strength to leave them while on an excursion. We are looking forward to camp carnival though, and have really only heard good things about the program. Glad it worked out for you. Kudos to CC!:)

Archived