Why book a CP balcony?

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind booking a Central Park balcony. I can see booking a boardwalk balcony simply because of the aquatheatre and limited sea views. However, the benefits of a CP balcony seem slim to none. No views to speak of and a balcony directly across from you.

What are your thoughts?

I am sure that everybody has a different reason as to why they would book that cabin category. It all boils down to personal preference. I don't like the looks of them just for privacy reasons. Plus living in New York I can go and see the real Central Park anytime I like :D

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind booking a Central Park balcony. I can see booking a boardwalk balcony simply because of the aquatheatre and limited sea views. However, the benefits of a CP balcony seem slim to none. No views to speak of and a balcony directly across from you.

What are your thoughts?

They are priced cheaper than oceanview balconies, and you do get natural light. While I'd rather have an oceanview balcony, a CP balcony would be preferable to an inside or an OV.

There is a lot of hustle & bustle on these ships in general -- CP is a nice respite from it all. The view at night is very tranquil with all the landscape lit up and crickets sounds piped in. Nice for people watching. Even during the day you'll see people on benches here and there reading. You can enjoy the same from you own balcony.

Also, the CP balconies are often the most affordable balcony cabins on these otherwise expensive ships. We've been able to score good deals on CP balconies on both Allure & Oasis. (Summer and spring break, respectively.)

PS - Meant to add we end up using our CP balconies more than we use our ocean view balconies. All personal preference really.

I'd rather have a balcony period than no balcony. Plus, with the $225 balcony discount, I have found it to be cheaper or equally as cheap as a lower category room without a balcony. They are also midship and generally on desirable floors.

I'll stick with OV balconies, but if price was a big concern, it would be an option.

They are priced cheaper than oceanview balconies, and you do get natural light. While I'd rather have an oceanview balcony, a CP balcony would be preferable to an inside or an OV.

I'd rather have a balcony period than no balcony. Plus, with the $225 balcony discount, I have found it to be cheaper or equally as cheap as a lower category room without a balcony. They are also midship and generally on desirable floors.

I'll stick with OV balconies, but if price was a big concern, it would be an option.

This is why we booked one.

We booked an OV balcony for ourselves, and wanted an inside cabin across the hall for our daughters. This combo has very limited availability. When we priced a CP balcony for the kids, it was nearly the same price as the inside cabin, because we were able to apply the C&A balcony discount (but still significantly less expensive than getting them a connecting or adjacent OV balcony to ours)

Honestly, the kids loved it! And they used it so much more than we used our OV Balcony because it seemed much less humid/hot out on their balcony than on ours.

Friends of mine reluctantly booked a Central Park balcony because that was the only class of balconies left when they booked Allure. They were prepared not to like it much, but to their surprise they really did like it.

What they particularly enjoyed was the night time view with the peaceful park scene, artfully lit and the quiet music in the early evening. They found it very restful after the hub bub of the ship because there is always so much going on.

You can still look up and see the stars and you do get fresh air because the Central Park has no roof over it.

Think most have it our reasoning, but just to add. These cabins are usually just a little more than an inside with our balcony discount and provide fresh air and daylight that you cannot get with the inside. We usually book an oceanview balcony for us and CP balcony for the kids. It is a great place to people watch, something you can't get in an ocean facing cabin. Yes, you have others across the way, but it really isn't an issue.

Thankfully there are a variety of cabins for all with varying prices. Can you image if all the cabins were the same how boring it could be???

We had one on our Allure cruise last year. They are cheaper than OV balconies. I don't think we will ever get another one, though. It was really loud there....and not noise from the Central Park area at all, but noise from the pool deck. Kids were screaming all afternoon....the pool band was loud. At night....everything was OK, but during the day......when I like to relax, read, and NAP......it was impossible. And I really missed the ocean. You never saw the ocean while on this ship. So it will be an OV balcony for us if we go back on these ships.

If you're not into relaxing and napping during the day, then you will be all right, but I seriously missed those water views.

We had one on our Allure cruise last year. They are cheaper than OV balconies. I don't think we will ever get another one' date=' though. It was really loud there....and not noise from the Central Park area at all, but noise from the pool deck. Kids were screaming all afternoon....the pool band was loud. At night....everything was OK, but during the day......when I like to relax, read, and NAP......it was impossible. And I really missed the ocean. You never saw the ocean while on this ship. So it will be an OV balcony for us if we go back on these ships.[/size']

If you're not into relaxing and napping during the day, then you will be all right, but I seriously missed those water views.

What deck were you on? We were on Deck 10, and didn't hear any noise from the pool deck, but I imagine that this might be an issue up higher.

What deck were you on? We were on Deck 10, and didn't hear any noise from the pool deck, but I imagine that this might be an issue up higher.

I was on CP 12, no issue with noise at all. The poster most have some seriously sensitive ears. Almost Soundproof with the door closed.

There could be any number of reasons. There are a few CP balcony rooms with very large balconies, so this may be of interest to some who like to have more people on the balcony without paying a lot of money.

On the cabin crawl, we noticed that the Central Park balcony was very hot...much hotter than our Boardwalk balcony, as there was little breeze.

They do have music, at least on some nights, in the park, so it would be nice to sit on your balcony and listen to some chamber music.

In any case, there are pros and cons to each category, so whatever works for people is fine.

because you can save some money over an ocean front but still have the space of a balcony which is very nice for room service. Only drawback is potential exhibitionists.

Not sure of exhibitionists, but it did seem that some people turned their balconies into something that looked like a 1950s tenement. They had so much clothing hanging on lines that you couldnt even see the doors.

I understand drying out bathing suits and a few items, but it appeared that some people washed a weeks worth of clothes and then set it out to dry

Yes price was our issue this time. Loved the Boardwalk. But thus time wanted to spend less. Considered another Promenade cabin, but there are less of them on this ship and the CP balcony was just about the same price. And as older cruisers we know to keep the drapes closed.

There could be any number of reasons. There are a few CP balcony rooms with very large balconies, so this may be of interest to some who like to have more people on the balcony without paying a lot of money.

On the cabin crawl, we noticed that the Central Park balcony was very hot...much hotter than our Boardwalk balcony, as there was little breeze.

They do have music, at least on some nights, in the park, so it would be nice to sit on your balcony and listen to some chamber music.

In any case, there are pros and cons to each category, so whatever works for people is fine.

Which CP cabins have very large balconies?

We will never book a balcony overlooking Central park or the Boardwalk for two reasons:

First, we are smokers and smoking is not allowed on the Central park or Boardwalk Balconies.

Second, we like the privacy on an ocean view balcony. The Central park and Boardwalk Balconies lack privacy! You can be seen not only from across the way but from above and either end as the photos below show.

DSCN0264.jpg

DSCN0252.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

If you scratch your butt, you can expect a video of it up on YouTube in minutes... :eek:

because you can save some money over an ocean front but still have the space of a balcony which is very nice for room service. Only drawback is potential exhibitionists.

Maybe this is the reason to book one?! :P

Savings for a Central Park balcony when compared to an Oceanview D1 balcony can be almost $700 per person. I'd consider one for those 1400 reasons alone. I'd be perfectly fine staring at the park and some exhibitionists knowing that we'd be saving a ton of money.

I was on CP 12, no issue with noise at all. The poster most have some seriously sensitive ears. Almost Soundproof with the door closed.

We were on deck 12 as well and never had issues with sounds from the pool area. Of course it was my kids in that cabin, but DD did take her afternoon nap just about every day, one even on the balcony :eek:.

The other reason which trainman kind of pointed out. If you don't want smokers next to you on the balcony you won't get one in CP or the boardwalk as those balconies are non smoking.

I've never sailed in one, but it's not hard to imagine the reasons for booking one:

1. Cheaper than OV, but still with balcony discount

2. People watching

3. Non-smoking

I'm sure there are others, as well, but those are the first three that immediately came to mind. I'm sure there are those who even like the people-watching more than just looking at the water.

Maybe this is the reason to book one?! :P

Savings for a Central Park balcony when compared to an Oceanview D1 balcony can be almost $700 per person. I'd consider one for those 1400 reasons alone. I'd be perfectly fine staring at the park and some exhibitionists knowing that we'd be saving a ton of money.

trust me, it wasn't a pretty sight :D

I agree on the $$$$. Rather spend that money at the bar or a specialty restaurant. Plus the balcony is nice for room service. Yeah, people across the way can watch you eat, but I figure you won't be seeing them again ever so it doesn't really matter to me.

What are your thoughts?

We booked this type for the price and it seemed more quiet than the BW. I didnt want to listen to that darn bell ringing on the Merry Go Round every 5 minutes and hearing the screams of the zipliners....:eek: Oh, and to correct one comments above, there are balconies directly across from you on the BW balconies too and not just the CP ones. I would MUCH rather have an Oceanview Cabin, but they are usually just a little too much for us.

Archived