New York Pass

psyfi

Has anyone used the New York Pass? It is a pay one price, unlimited access pass to most of NYC attractions including an ability to skip the lines. Just wondered if you got your money's worth? If be looking at a 2 day pass probably but not arriving day 1 until early afternoon. I think it would work out to save us money, just depends on how many things I could fit in. Might also allow us to do some things that we would not do if we had to pay cash, like top of the rock in the daylight and then Empire State at night. But if it is pouring rain, we probably wouldnt do either, so thats a risk. If anyone has used it, I wonder how much time the skip the line option helped and if you would do it again?

http://Www.newyorkpass.com

I have used the New York Pass on two different visits to NYC. It is Very convenient and yes well worth the $$. Just a side note tho..visit some of the popular sites like the ESB in the morning to avoid long lines. Both times we were 1st in line at 9am and got right in. If you wait til later in the day it will be hours waiting in line. Plan your route also, like what you want to see in lower Manhattan, mid-town Manhattan & up-town Manhattan. Jumping from one to the other will waist alot of time. Good luck, if I was going to NYC again I would still buy the New York Pass. Hope that helps :D

Thanks --HOURS in line to get up the ESB! Wow, I was not expecting that. Are there other major lines I should factor for? We were planning to go to the Top of the Rock, is it as bad?

I have used the New York Pass on two different visits to NYC. It is Very convenient and yes well worth the $$. Just a side note tho..visit some of the popular sites like the ESB in the morning to avoid long lines. Both times we were 1st in line at 9am and got right in. If you wait til later in the day it will be hours waiting in line. Plan your route also, like what you want to see in lower Manhattan, mid-town Manhattan & up-town Manhattan. Jumping from one to the other will waist alot of time. Good luck, if I was going to NYC again I would still buy the New York Pass. Hope that helps :D

Re the ESB, we went up at night once, and it was fabulous. Great lights of the city from all sides...and NO lines at all. They do have a formidable 'maze' of ropes set up on the lower floors before reaching the elevator to the top so the line must really be huge at certain times.

In Chicago recently we visited the observation deck of the ex-Sears Tower (it's named for some life insurance company now) at dusk. I thought it would not be a great time to go, but it turned out to be lovely as we watched the city transition from late afternoon to sunset to night, as the lights came up all around us. If you could do the same at the ESB it would be wonderful. That said, the ESB viewing is outside, so come prepared as it can be VERY windy up there.

The Top of the Rock is great too. It's closer to Central Park and has a nice view of the park as well as surrounding buildings. It's been a while but I think it had both indoor viewing areas and an outdoor deck, so if there was rain, maybe it would be an option? Have fun!

FYI some NYC attractions were impacted by Hurricane Sandy & may not have reopened or may be operating on a limited basis (Intrepid Visitor Center/Shuttle, Statue of Liberty, etc). Not sure if any of those are included in the Pass or what their current status is, but you may want to confirm the places you most want to see w/ the pass are operating normally.

Thanks --HOURS in line to get up the ESB! Wow, I was not expecting that. Are there other major lines I should factor for? We were planning to go to the Top of the Rock, is it as bad?

You might want to explore this pass: https://ticketing.esbnyc.com/webstore/Shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=Tickets&C=CityPASS

It's a little cheaper than the regular 2 day NY Pass. Is good for nine days. AND you get priority to get past the lines at the ESB. You can even upgrade to the express pass which means no lines at either the entrance or the elevators.

I have purchased both passes. The NY Pass wasn't used completely so there was waste. We went to everything on the ESB CityPass.

As Andromeda93 posted, it is truly magical to go to the ESB at dusk and see the city light up. I have only gone once in the daytime (been there probably 40-50 times). I thought the daytime trip was a bust. Couldn't see much, couldn't even pick out some of the buildings because of the haze.

AND if you want a cheap steak, Tad's Steak House is right down the street. Cafeteria style, seat yourself. No fancy ambiance-just a decent steak (NOT fancy and NOT an expensive cut but very edible), baked potato, salad and a drink-all for under $20.00. I LOVE Tad's and have even recently tried the one in San Francisco. The new owners are going to open Tad's all over the country again, just like in the 90's. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d424655-Reviews-Tad_s_Broiled_Steaks_Times_Sqr-New_York_City_New_York.html

Also, don't know when you are going but if you are into pro style basketball at all, you need to make your way to the 4th St Cage at the 4th St subway station. HUGE streetball tournaments and almost always a pickup game going on. LOTS of NBA players just show up-you never know who you might see. One of my favorite things to do-stand outside the cage eating pizza from across the street. Free entertainment-just pay for the slices of pizza.

Whatever you decide to do, ENJOY!!!

Just wondering about the advantages of this New York Pass or ESB pass versus the Grey Line Hop on Hop off 48 hour tours. All feedback comparing these 3 options is appreciated.

Grey Line HoHo is a bus ride that you can get off wherever you want to explore and then get back on. SOME of the tours include admission to specific things like the ESB, Top of the Rock, some of the museums, the Circle Line cruises, etc. etc. Those generally cost more. You have to read the description very carefully. Freestyle Manhattan is probably the best if you want transport and admission to a few things. This is the old "In a NY Minute" tour that I swore by for years when taking visitors or new employees around NYC.

The CityPass/NY Pass are a way to save money on ADMISSION to various venues. There is NO transportation EXCEPT the Circle Line cruise or Battery Park Ferry to the SOL. The NY Pass has a LOT of museum entrance fees included. The only problem with this IMHO is twofold-you may not feel like visiting a LOT of museums. AND admission to the MAJORITY of museums in NYC is "pay what you can afford". There are "suggestions" of what is expected BUT you don't have to pay that amount. http://gonyc.about.com/od/museums/ss/Free-Admission-And-Discounted-Admission-At-New-York-City-Museums_2.htm

I will say it again..If I were going to NYC again I would buy the NY Pass. We always went to the ESB 1st because of the long lines. Of course it also depends on the time of yr you go. We also did the hop on hop off bus, paying a little extra for it when we bought the pass online. We never once had any problem getting on the bus when we wanted. Its a nice way to see all of Manhattan. We did go to the Top of the Rock also but it was so foggy (we went later in the day) A side note also..there is a website to print out tickets for the Ground Zero Memorial. I highly recommend printing out your tickets ahead of time. The line was long for that also, but moved quickly..And def a MUST SEE! The did a Beautiful job on the Memorial. Good luck in your NYC travel. Just remember NYC is HUGE!! You Def want to map out your plans before you go.

Thanks everyone! We are going in late Sept (after fashion week). I was just reading about the sliding scale for admission. Do people really do that? Do they make a big fuss of you don't pay the suggested price? I have heard SOL will be open again by the time we are there. But I will check on the intrepid museum. I would like to see the space shuttle.

When you go to pay, the cashier will say "$20" please, and you can politely say I am paying $10 today. And that's it. The museum needs money to stay as beautiful as it is, and if you have the means of course pay the suggested amount, but they won't bat an eye if you chose to donate a reasonable amount instead of "suggested". You need to read the list carefully because some of the museums are "suggested" and others you don't have a choice. Sometimes certain venues are "free" certain days. I know for a fact that the Bronx Zoo is free on Wednesdays. Of course it is packed with school children on Wednesdays too. ;)

Thanks everyone! We are going in late Sept (after fashion week). I was just reading about the sliding scale for admission. Do people really do that? Do they make a big fuss of you don't pay the suggested price? I have heard SOL will be open again by the time we are there. But I will check on the intrepid museum. I would like to see the space shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived