Flying in the same day

cdn.cruiser

We have always flown in the day before a cruise, but now since we are cruising with Oceania for the first time I have a question.

If you don't want to pay for air deviation you have to come in the same day. There must be a lot of people coming in the same day as the cruise. If Oceania booked these flights for you they must be confident you will make it.

Any comments from those who arrive the same day? Or others?

Thanks in advance.

The cruise lines have no control over the airlines or the weather

If you feel confident enough to get to the port without incident then fly in the same day

Many people do it & it works out fine

It also depends on where you are flying to & what time of year

I myself would not fly out the same day in the winter months

I would not fly overseas arriving same day as the cruise departs

but that is just me

I pay the deviation or I book my own airfare flying in a day or more early

Just depends on your comfort level

Good luck

Lyn

You would run the risk of having to pay a lot of money for an Airfare

to go from a your major Airport / Embarking Port to some hell hole

that is only worthwhile to visit for 8 hours on a CruiseShip ???

I wouldnt do it for two reasons.

The first is I usually want to spend some time in the embarkation port. Cruises seldom start in unpleasant places.

The second is that in international travel things go wrong and arriving the same day as the cruise doesnt leave much room for error. People do miss cruises for this reason. Somethimes they make it but their luggage does not. Your on vacation and you dont need the stress. If the flight is domestic then it is not so much an issue.

cnd....

we are contemplating the same thing...

flying from tor to lisbon....then from rio home...

just hope they give us the most logical flights...from tor to newark , to lisbon....arriving at 9am the same day of sailing...in early nov

yes maybe taking a chance....but I am with you....the deviation

is a cash grab...

has anyone not paid a deviation and it all worked out fine?

do that again.

We now book our own,get in early(at least 1 day),and take taxi to hotel.

It s generally cheaper,less hassle,and now never have cruises ALMOST missed like in past.

Just NOT WORTH IT,learn from MY experiences(and others).Just TOO MANY things CAN go wrong.And often DO.

Of course, have had no problems on some too.Just no longer want to worry about it and have FUN.;)

On my upcoming O cruise, I did the math, and taking the air credit and booking my own air was cheaper.

I live in a non-gateway city. I would have to pay that, plus the deviation fee ( to fly in early), plus whatever the fare was.

That total was more than taking the credit and booking the air (dates and airport and times) I wanted.

Run it by your TA, see what the O air would be, and then see what you can do on your own.

It will be black and white which is a better deal.

You are of course get people that have flown in the same day with no problems BUT I personally would not take a chance..to many cancellations of flights due to weather or mechanicals..late and missed connections etc. you have spent so much money on the cruise, what is a few hundred more to make sure you get there on time and rest from your flight so you can have a relaxed first day..to me well worth ot!!

Jancruz1

You would run the risk of having to pay a lot of money for an Airfare

to go from a your major Airport / Embarking Port to some hell hole

that is only worthwhile to visit for 8 hours on a CruiseShip ???

I try to avoid cruises that visit hell holes. :D

I would never do it but I think you have more leeway if your port of embarkation is an overnight for Oceania. At least you have the next day if something goes wrong. Our friends did it and if it hadn't been an overnight in Venice they would have missed the ship due to poor connections.

just hope they give us a flight that have reasonable chances of timing..

our flights are included...the 750 credit would not begin to pay for a lisbon/rio flights....they are close to 3000 pp....if you do on your own...

from tor to newark, then a 4 hour wait for night flight to lisbon arriving at 9 am...seems reasonable enough not to need to go in a day earlier...

my thoughts are...we have a ton of cancellation insurance..for all eventualities.....

if we cant make the ship, would just go home...and book another cruise...no big deal...no great disappointment....

Yep, in my experience with international flights, booking your own just can't compete with cruiseline air, especially open-jaw flights and from Canada.

But I would still pay the deviation fee to get the flights you want, and plan on arriving in Lisbon at least a day before--why not take several days and enjoy the city? It's a lovely city (and I'll be there tomorrow!)

I just got off a cruise that had 2 sea days after embarkation, some pax from Vancouver arrived in time to embark the ship however their luggage didn't make it so 2 days without clean clothes. On a TA, this could be even worse, I fly in at least a day early mostly because it takes most of that anxiety away and I can get on board in a calmer state of mind.

We used Oceania air for the first time on our January flight to Papeete. We chose this option because the cost of flying on our own was about double the allowance and that there was also sufficient time for our luggage to catch up with us. Additionally, we considered the itinerary which although port intensive was not as demanding as a European one, i.e. jet lag would not be an issue. Finally, we considered the difficulty of reaching the next port, which was only a twenty minute ferry ride away.

We were in Lisbon last September and with a private guide toured Lisbon, Obidos, Sintra, Cascais, and Estoril in three days. It was well worth the time. We especially loved Obidos.

just hope they give us a flight that have reasonable chances of timing..

our flights are included...the 750 credit would not begin to pay for a lisbon/rio flights....they are close to 3000 pp....if you do on your own...

from tor to newark, then a 4 hour wait for night flight to lisbon arriving at 9 am...seems reasonable enough not to need to go in a day earlier...

my thoughts are...we have a ton of cancellation insurance..for all eventualities.....

if we cant make the ship, would just go home...and book another cruise...no big deal...no great disappointment....

Check the fine print on your insurance. Some policies require you to make an effort to catch up with the ship before they will pay for cancellation. You can't just decide to go home without trying to make the cruise.

Flying in a day early is not always a sure bet when bad weather is involved. This Feb. friends of our were to fly to miami from toronto on friday for a saturday departure on a cruise. Terrible snow storm on friday, most flights cancelled. And the weather on saturday? Sunny and beautiful, no flights cancelled. The airline couldn't accomadate them because they were fully booked on Saturday. They had to fly to San Juan the next day to catch the ship 3 days into a 7 day cruise.

Bottom line is the airlines first priority is for the people ticketed on that day. Then if they can help the people from the day prior that missed their flights they will.

That being said I don't know what the Oceania policy is with regards to "catching you up to the ship" if you miss flights due to weather or mechanical delays.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

In our case we are flying nov. 18 from Edmonton, Canada to Barcelona. We have been to Barcelona twice before and the second day of the cruise is a sea day, and since it is a TA, it is not port intensive. Doing the flight ourselves would be much more expensive than the credit given.

The main concern is not missing the boat!

It is really too bad that Oceania charges a deviation charge if you come in a day early. Really why should it matter to them. It doesn't cost them more to book a flight a day earlier. ( I don't think it does).

We are already paying a surcharge for flying out of Edmonton, it is too bad we have to pay a deviation fee and a night in a hotel. This all adds up to at least a thousand dollars. Too bad, would rather spend it someplace else. Not a hub ($400), deviation($300), hotel ($300).

Fdr why does Oceania charge a deviation fee?

Thank you for your comments.

When you take their air, you are in a large group all taking the same air. O can arrange to have many passengers on the same flight. When you do a deviation, you are picking and choosing specific flights and there is [at least slightly] more work involved.

excellent point...

but seems that almost all here pay for the deviation...

O certainly has caught onto a good one to grab some cash....and fear factor fuels the discussion....

no one wants to be left out of a cruise they have planned for , for months....

so most opt to pay the deviation....

we will have many going out of toronto on that same sailing...not sure if any of them will do what we are ....

guess that is the point , if most did not take the deviation and there were multiple problems with getting people on the ship, the line would make coming in the day before standard and not something extra to pay for....

Archived