We Will Never Cruise With RCI Again

On a recent cruise with RCI one of our bags did not show up to our cabin by 7pm so I went to inquire and was told the bag had been "confiscated" because it had alcohol it in. I was then led to a little room by a very unpleasnt employee and instructed to open the bag so they could see what was in it. While several employees stood staring at me I got down on the floor and opened the bag and showed them two bottles of wine. Their published policy allows two bottles of wine per cabin. I was then told ok you can take your bag now (with the wine inside) and I was left to schlep the bag all the way to my cabin. Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

We are vetern cruisers on many different lines. I'm not at all happy about this encounter and it will be my last RCI cruise.

Thankfully, your two bottles of wine packed in your checked luggage didn't break and damage your clothes along with someone else's luggage clothes. You should laugh at yourself and learn from your lesson. It's all good..

I can't remember the way this goes - I remember the beer before liquor, but can't remember the second line... "wine before ???" or something like that. ;)

11 pages - lol

liquor then beer never fear.

beer then liquor never sicker.

I've been to the "Naughty" room

for Diet Coke. (Very well could

of been Beer) Cruise lines are

Not allowed to search bags as

TSA's do, that's why you must

be present to open your bags.

I chalked it up to experiences

and learned from it. I will say

this, the Cookies NCL had in

that room were Delicious. :)

Tapatalk via iPhone5

Isn't the baggage inspection done by the TSA? I had just assumed that the safety screening would be similar to an airport inspection, and was going to pack accordingly...

So what happens if the cruise staff detect dangerous/contraband items? Do they inform the TSA who then take over? Or is there a separate TSA screening in addition to the cruise screening?

I'm thinking the OP was already disatisfied with RC about whatever and this "incident" just gave him a reason to say he'll no longer cruise on RC. Common sense and experience teaches MOST cruise passengers what not to do concerning packing, boarding, etc. If I had packed two big bottles of ANYTHING in my checked baggage, I would almost EXPECT to be called to the "naughty room." :rolleyes:

I was called to the naughty room once to prove that I was over 21. I was so busy laughing I didn't notice the attitude of the staff. I was also so glad to see my missing suitcase I was glad to take it back to the room myself.

To the OP I am truly sorry that that one event started your cruise on a sorry note. I hope you were able to move on and enjoy your cruise. I am a Loyal Royal but believe everyone should be where they are happiest. Good luck in your search for the perfect cruise line.

We were called to the naughty room once for mouthwash, too. We went with a good attitude and all the crew had a good attitude, too. I think the OP went in with a bad attitude that carried over to the crew. We were happy to wheel our luggage back up to deck nine (from deck two--yes, there are elevators!). Just glad to know what happened to that piece.

BTW, we also vowed to never cruise a line again, either--HAL. It just wasn't a good fit for us. However, we would re-consider if we had friends on board and an itinerary we wanted.

We are also veteran cruisers. I am shocked that you are allowed to take wine on board in your carry-on's. Which cruise lines allow this? We have sailed on most lines and have had our wine taken away when we put in our carry-on bags. We now put it in our checked luggage and have not had a problem. How do we find out what the rules are per ship? I am really confused???

We are in our seventies with seventeen cruises under our belt and just finding out how dumb we are? Thought we finally had the "wine situation" figured out!!!!

Isn't the baggage inspection done by the TSA? I had just assumed that the safety screening would be similar to an airport inspection, and was going to pack accordingly...

Not at the port, this is primarily ship and/or port security.

So what happens if the cruise staff detect dangerous/contraband items? Do they inform the TSA who then take over? Or is there a separate TSA screening in addition to the cruise screening?

No additional TSA screening, but if anything illegal is found, it is handed to the Port Police that may or may not bring in additional law enforcement.

We are also veteran cruisers. I am shocked that you are allowed to take wine on board in your carry-on's. Which cruise lines allow this? We have sailed on most lines and have had our wine taken away when we put in our carry-on bags. We now put it in our checked luggage and have not had a problem. How do we find out what the rules are per ship? I am really confused???

We are in our seventies with seventeen cruises under our belt and just finding out how dumb we are? Thought we finally had the "wine situation" figured out!!!!

The OP stated they usually sail Princess. According to Princess website Q&A, guests may take on one bottle each.

A few months ago Royal Caribbean changed their "no alcohol" policy to two bottles per stateroom per cruise. IF it is a B2B then 4, if a B2B2B then 6, etc.

I called C&A D+ desk and was told that it should be carried on and not put in checked bags. I have taken 4 cruises since the change in policy and have had no problem carrying wine onboard; one was a B2B2B.

Some lines insist it is only in carry on. RCI just instituted a policy about bringing on two bottles of wine, but doesn't specify if it must be in carry-on or "checked" luggage, so it can go in either.

However, if this thread suggests one thing, there will be less hassle if in the carry on, as you can respond right there. However, you will have to carry it around the ship till the rooms open. But if you do check it, you should not only expect to go get it from "holding", you should plan on it.

Wow, 217 replies and the original poster hasn't said a word since his original posting. Guess he threw out the line with some really tasty bait on it.......................you all got hooked..............lol.

...and your status??????.......lol....lol...lol.....:D:D:D

I did both - 2 bottles in carry on and 2 bottles in checked luggage. I was on a B2B. I wrapped the bottles in bubble wrap and was able to get 2 in a giant zip lock bag. The novelty of carrying on wine has worn off for me. They weren't serving the "La Terrible" wine in the diamond lounge, so I used the unconsumed bottles as extra tips to my room stewards.

RCL staff wasn't out line then... Why would they be with two bottles of within policy wine .

It's not about the wine, it's about the alleged rude attitude of the staff involved.

Wow, 217 replies and the original poster hasn't said a word since his original posting. Guess he threw out the line with some really tasty bait on it.......................you all got hooked..............lol.

No one got hooked. I fully believe OP now realizes he was hasty in his wording/judgement/reaction to the situation.

I agree that it is the rudeness the OP was addressing. And, if he flew to his embarkation point, absolutely NO liquids over 3 oz are permitted in carry-on luggage. So he had to put his wine in his checked luggage in order to get on his flight. Does RCI expect him to rummage through his checked luggage when he arrives in the airport, find the 2 wine bottles, try to close his luggage again and then carry the wine separately? RCI should just ask him if he has any wine to declare, so when they scan his checked luggage and find 2 bottles, they can confirm.

I agree that it is the rudeness the OP was addressing. And, if he flew to his embarkation point, absolutely NO liquids over 3 oz are permitted in carry-on luggage. So he had to put his wine in his checked luggage in order to get on his flight. Does RCI expect him to rummage through his checked luggage when he arrives in the airport, find the 2 wine bottles, try to close his luggage again and then carry the wine separately? RCI should just ask him if he has any wine to declare, so when they scan his checked luggage and find 2 bottles, they can confirm.

yeah pretty much. that's what we're doing. is that a big deal? doesn't take much rummaging to find a bottle of wine. not like a wine opener.

Archived