NCL Jewel 3/10-3/17 comments

fightpiter

Just a few comments about our cruise on the Jewel.

First, the concierge, John D'Souza was great. He contacted us daily to check about dinner reservations or any other needs. This was in addition to checking in with us at Cagney's in the morning. He also arranged our shore excursions and was very familiar with details about them.

Second, we had Henry as our butler, he did a great job. We had him on the Star a couple years ago and were very happy with him there as well. One dinner and two breakfasts in our suite. Everything was perfect.

Third, I am wondering what happened to the quality of the beef they serve in the restaurants. In every restaurant we went to, MDR, Le Bistro, and Cagneys the quality of the steaks has greatly improved since our last cruise. Didn't have one bad or even ok steak. They were all good. I wonder if this is particular to this ship or fleet wide.

Fourth, The cigar bar on deck six in the bar city area is great. Smaller airtight room with seating for 7. It was quiet, comfortable, and usually a good place for good conversation. The only negative thing I can say about it is that there were too many cigarette smokers using it.

Overall the cruise was great. The only things that I can complain about are minor. This cruise was during spring break and as a result there were a lot of college kids on the ship. Most of them were very polite and didn't let things get out of hand. Unfortunately it felt that most of the events were geared more to them than to the rest of us. My other complaint is about the smoking policy. Cigarette smoking is allowed on the balconies but cigars aren't. When I asked why I was told that it is because cigar smoke goes up. Last time I checked cigarette smoke also goes up. This wasn't a big thing as the cigar lounge is open but still it would be nice to be able to enjoy one on your balcony.

We are looking forward to our first NCL cruise on the Jewel in December. After reading so many bad reviews about the steaks on NCL I found your positive review of the beef surprising. With beef prices up 30% in the last year I would have expected quality to be down rather than up.

Do you have any other Jewels to help a first time NCL Jewel passenger?

My guess about the cigars is that either people complain about the smell moreso than they complain about the smell of cigarettes (to me, they both stink, but I find cigar smoke completely overpowering) or they're mistakenly thinking that exhaled smoke from cigarettes will blow to the side while cigar smoke, which is not inhaled/exhaled, will just drift straight up.

After reading so many bad reviews about the steaks on NCL I found your positive review of the beef surprising. With beef prices up 30% in the last year I would have expected quality to be down rather than up.

I was on the Jewel in November...and loved my steaks in the main dining room..tender and cooked just as I asked...;)

Thanks for the review. How was the ocean water temp at Great Stirrup Cay? Good enough for swimming? The water temp was a little cool I thought but definately warm enough to swim in.

Weather in General ? Sadly, the sunniest day we had was in NYC. Rain in the morning in Florida and at GSC. Fortunately it cleared up enough in both places to not ruin the day. We enjoyed the cruise but if we were to do this itinerary again we would do it a month later I think, simply because of the weather.

How was the Cruise Director? Jamie was the cruise director. We had her before on the Star and really liked her.

Thanks for reading.

We are looking forward to our first NCL cruise on the Jewel in December. After reading so many bad reviews about the steaks on NCL I found your positive review of the beef surprising. With beef prices up 30% in the last year I would have expected quality to be down rather than up.

Do you have any other Jewels to help a first time NCL Jewel passenger?

That is exactly what I expected. It was a very nice surprise to see better quality steaks.

As far as other tips go I was surprised by the turnout to all of the shows. Unless you have reserved seating be sure to get there early.

Fightpiter: Thank you for your review. I totally agree that the cigar smoking theory NCL uses for balcony smoking is odd. TBH, being a non-smoker, I would much rather have a person smoking a cigar near me then a cigarette. Cigar smoke does not bother me at all, however, cigarette smoke is a different story. Looking forward to the rest of your review. :)

Archived