Authorization to travel without a passport

smeyer418

The other problem would be if you missed your ship and wanted to fly to the next port to catch it - without a passport not gonna happen. No congressman is gonna help that!

If you have the $$ to cruise you have the $$ for a passport - why would you leave your country without one!

That is some crystal ball you have!

I did not TELL anyone to do anything. I asked why someone would leave without one.

I am pretty sure no one PLANS to miss their ship...

That's not what it looks like to me:rolleyes:.

My kid's 3 passports expired this year. We're getting them new ones. Like someone said..do your own risk/cost assessment and do what's best for you. I don't buy trip insurance, but I have a passport. Everyone's risk profile is different.

I'm the opposite. I buy trip insurance (have used it when DGM passed away the day before a scheduled cruise), but have not purchased passports until this month. IMHO the value of trip insurance is worth the cost. It covers many more things that are more likely to happen than having a passport does, which is more expensive. We have sailed nine times in the past 12 years with no need for a passport but we did have a need for insurance. On the 2nd of our 2 booked future cruises our travel style is changing. We will sail for the first time leaving 2 teens at home who are both relatively new drivers. IMHO that changes my risks of something happening that I would need to get home quickly for... to the point where I am willing to purchase passports for DH and myself. We are not purchasing passports for DS and DD who will be with us on our next cruise. Their risk did not change to the point where I find it worth purchasing for them.

I absolutely agree. Everyones risk profile is different....and sometimes it changes depending on the situation. In each and every case though it is a personal decision that shouldn't matter to anyone else but the person making the decision since it is a perfectly legal decision to make.

Happens more than people realize!:eek:

I think there is also a lot of people that have "it won't happen to me" syndrome. That will be their mantra - till it does.

Or doesn't:rolleyes:. Like YOU said it is a $$$ vs Risk logical choice.....Risk is extremely small vs $600 for a family of 4. My logic has said to save my money and take that risk. Over the past 12 years it has saved me over $1000 since I did not spend that money and I haven't even come close to needing a passport.

I get the sense that the people who are adamant about not spending the roughly $15 a year for a ten year passport probably are ineligible to be issued one for one reason or another. It's a no brainer to possess a passport if one likes to travel anywhere outside of the United States closed loop or not.

While it may average out to $15 a year that has no bearing since they don't let you pay in installments.

For a family of 5 to get passports you're talking over $500 all at once not $75 a year for 10 years. Big difference.:)

So you get the sense that people without passports that don't want to get one have criminal backgrounds or some other reason they aren't allowed to get a passport?

That's really out of left field.

Maybe people weighed their risk and just didn't want to spend the money on something that is not required.

I have been on 25+ cruises and haven't missed the ship yet.:rolleyes:

Bill

That is some crystal ball you have!

I did not TELL anyone to do anything. I asked why someone would leave without one.

I am pretty sure no one PLANS to miss their ship...

No crystal ball needed, I know ahead of time what we are planning to do (and it doesn't involve getting drunk at Carlos & Charlie's;)).

We have had a passport for many years and have used it frequently for foreign travel and even for close loop cruises - it is really the definitive ID, picture and "birth certificate" in one.

But it can also be useful for traveling inside the US: When DH and I spent a week driving around Montana we realized that we were near enough to the Canadian border to expand our visit. However, because it was a "US vacation" we had not brought our passports. If we had we could just have crossed over into Canada. At the time it could still be done, but it was a hassle because of security and we did not have a lot of wiggle room in our schedule for delays or denials of entry. So now we always travel with them.

If nothing else, it is a comfort to know that wherever you go, you have that definitive ID with you.

We have had a passport for many years and have used it frequently for foreign travel and even for close loop cruises - it is really the definitive ID, picture and "birth certificate" in one.

But it can also be useful for traveling inside the US: When DH and I spent a week driving around Montana we realized that we were near enough to the Canadian border to expand our visit. However, because it was a "US vacation" we had not brought our passports. If we had we could just have crossed over into Canada. At the time it could still be done, but it was a hassle because of security and we did not have a lot of wiggle room in our schedule for delays or denials of entry. So now we always travel with them.

If nothing else, it is a comfort to know that wherever you go, you have that definitive ID with you.

You may get that comfort and it may mean a lot to you, but your statement is not true for all people. I don't need that comfort while traveling or doing a closed loop cruise if my immediate family is with me. I have never been worried sailing or traveling without one because I knew it was not required and the chances were extremely small that I would need it. If it makes you feel better then by all means use it....some of us don't need that security blanket and that's ok too;).

HUH? What is emotional about getting a passport or not?

It is a PURELY logical choice - $$$$ vs risk

Most of the arguments expressed for getting a passport - including yours - are based on emotional considerations. e.g. "you never know", "peace of mind", "it's the best ID", "what if" and other snap judgements, scare stories and pat answers. Only rarely do I see a careful weighing of the risk factors factoring into the decision to get a passport. That is the definition of an emotional decision. Which I think is why some folks take offense at those who choose to cruise without a passport. Because when they see someone else weigh the pros/cons and come to a different decision it threatens them.

A passport does increase flexibility by allowing you to take unplanned international travel. That comfort factor has a cost. Some choose to pay it, others do not. I respect a person's decision either way.

While it may average out to $15 a year that has no bearing since they don't let you pay in installments.

For a family of 5 to get passports you're talking over $500 all at once not $75 a year for 10 years. Big difference.:)

So you get the sense that people without passports that don't want to get one have criminal backgrounds or some other reason they aren't allowed to get a passport?

That's really out of left field.

Maybe people weighed their risk and just didn't want to spend the money on something that is not required.

I have been on 25+ cruises and haven't missed the ship yet.:rolleyes:

Bill

You are missing out on cruising to some very interesting places in the world! To each his own!

You are missing out on cruising to some very interesting places in the world! To each his own!

Only if one has the ability to travel to those places to begin with- the cost of air travel limits us to closed loop cruises from ports that we are able to reach by driving. Once that changes we will certainly be re-analyzing our need for passports. (And FWIW I have no restrictions preventing me from getting a passport and I have a brain;) {as long as you don't ask DW:o}.)

I love it when people use this as a reason you should get a passport....

Do you think people who are currently without passports and are limiting their current travel needs to the USA and closed loop cruises won't get a passport if they decide to do other types of travel? The point is that their current travel needs do not require it. Closed Loop Cruises do not require it.

Why should they spend the $$ and waste passport years before they actually do need it for the travel that does require it (if they ever do)?

Are you telling me that you have been to all the interesting places in the USA that does not require passports? I have a whole bucket list full I want to see yet so I am in no hurry to travel the world to see their interesting places before I've seen most of our own.

A lot of people can't travel internationally due to time restraints on their job...me included. I also can not take off on a whim if good deal came my way. Having a passport would not even be a benefit for me in those cases...only an unneeded cost.

If you've got the time, the money, and the ambition then good for you. See the world in all its glory....a lot of travelers do not have that luxury and some just don't want to leave the country...their choice. It's not like we don't have our own interesting places to see.

Only if one has the ability to travel to those places to begin with- the cost of air travel limits us to closed loop cruises from ports that we are able to reach by driving. Once that changes we will certainly be re-analyzing our need for passports. (And FWIW I have no restrictions preventing me from getting a passport and I have a brain;) {as long as you don't ask DW:o}.)

You are quite correct. I have had a passport since the 90's so I'm on my second one.

Like many people in this economy I lost my job, got another one but not at the same pay so I can't shell out $800 for a flight to Europe to go see the world.

So I am limited by resources not by the fact that I don't have a passport.

Even flying to Florida is getting pretty expensive. Next year we are contemplating just renting a place at the beach where we can just drive to.

Bill

You are quite correct. I have had a passport since the 90's so I'm on my second one.

Like many people in this economy I lost my job, got another one but not at the same pay so I can't shell out $800 for a flight to Europe to go see the world.

So I am limited by resources not by the fact that I don't have a passport.

Even flying to Florida is getting pretty expensive. Next year we are contemplating just renting a place at the beach where we can just drive to.

Bill

We did that last year to Myrtle Beach....it down poured on us every single day. We've never had that happen on a cruise. This year we have 2 cruise booked :D. I think DH wanted to make up for our washed out beach vacation.

You may get that comfort and it may mean a lot to you, but your statement is not true for all people. I don't need that comfort while traveling or doing a closed loop cruise if my immediate family is with me. I have never been worried sailing or traveling without one because I knew it was not required and the chances were extremely small that I would need it. If it makes you feel better then by all means use it....some of us don't need that security blanket and that's ok too;).

Sorry Warm Breezes, but I meant to type "comfortable," as in I am ready for anything. I don't need a security blanket - having cruised the Med 3 times (4 times this fall), the Adriac out of Venice, and visited Russia on the Baltic cruise last July, so I feel pretty "comfortable" anywhere. And I admit that I am more cognizant of the advantages of having a passport handy because I have used one.

There are lots of reasons - even small ones - to have a passport. I am so glad you are confidant that you will never be in a situation for needing one - and hopefully you will keep sailing with all of your family members in tow:)

Sorry Warm Breezes, but I meant to type "comfortable," as in I am ready for anything. I don't need a security blanket - having cruised the Med 3 times (4 times this fall), the Adriac out of Venice, and visited Russia on the Baltic cruise last July, so I feel pretty "comfortable" anywhere. And I admit that I am more cognizant of the advantages of having a passport handy because I have used one.

There are lots of reasons - even small ones - to have a passport. I am so glad you are confidant that you will never be in a situation for needing one - and hopefully you will keep sailing with all of your family members in tow:)

There are also lots of reasons - even small ones - to not get one. I never say never....anything can happen and I am aware of that. I am also aware that the risk is extremely low of anything happening that would need to send me home in a hurry, especially if my kids are with me. Like I said before, DH and I are in the process of getting passports (just for us, not the kids...their travel risk did not change) because our NCL cruise will be the first with the teens (both relatively new drivers) left alone at home. This changes that risk for me where something might happen that would need me to get home in a hurry. Comfort levels change when travel style changes. We all have different comfort levels and sometimes they change based on the circumstances. That's why this is a personal decision as long as the government allows it to be.

Wow, folks, I just survived two weeks of the CC website not loading here in Haiti (horrors!!:eek:) and look what I missed-- the Breakaway float-out and a big passport discussion. So your friendly neighborhood former consular officer is back on board!

Yes, I always argue in favor of everyone choosing to get passports, because emergencies do arise. They happen to healthy, well-organized, structured, logical people, not just sick and disorganized people who are busy drinking at the bar. :rolleyes: Given that we all have emergencies and unplanned events happen to us at home, it amazes me that people think they won't happen when they travel.

No member of Congress can MAKE someone issue one of these letters-- the bearer still has to prove their identity and citizenship, and that is usually really tough to do when you're abroad and mid-crisis, particularly if you've never had a passport before. If you have had one and it was lost or stolen, you are in the system and they will be able to assist you sooner. There is some leeway as to how you establish these facts, but it can be tricky. A massive emergency like a cruise ship breaking down will be handled differently from an individual getting sick or losing their passport.

Consular officers will always jump into the breach and do everything they legally and reasonably can to help you from the moment YOU identify yourself as an American-- they won't wait for documentation to visit you in jail or arrange medical treatment. They will work to get you documented as quickly as possible, but it usually takes a couple of days, and can take much longer if you are a person without much of a paper trail or people who can access it for you. You will be racking up bills that have to be paid during this time-- hotel, medical care, attorney, etc.

I've been in two emergency situations abroad as a private citizen-- one was a personal medical emergency behind the Iron Curtain and the other was the mass disaster that was the Haitian earthquake. Neither of these was something I could have predicted or planned for. In both cases, my life was saved where I was, but my passport got me out of these terrifying situations at the earliest possible moment. I can't imagine having to wait around, in an uncertain or dangerous situation, trying to prove who I am. So although I did this for a living, I've been on the other side both before and after my career, and the one thing you won't catch me without is a valid passport. You aren't required to have one, but it is a very, very good idea to do so.

So the documents that I provide to board the ship that prove my identity and citizenship would not be accepted by the Consulate?

Isn't it funny that my DL and BC is what I have to use to get a passport? I would think if it was good enough to get the "ultimate" ID it would be good enough to prove my identity and citizenship:rolleyes:.

Wow, folks, I just survived two weeks of the CC website not loading here in Haiti (horrors!!:eek:) and look what I missed-- the Breakaway float-out and a big passport discussion. So your friendly neighborhood former consular officer is back on board!

Yes, I always argue in favor of everyone choosing to get passports, because emergencies do arise. They happen to healthy, well-organized, structured, logical people, not just sick and disorganized people who are busy drinking at the bar. :rolleyes: Given that we all have emergencies and unplanned events happen to us at home, it amazes me that people think they won't happen when they travel.

No member of Congress can MAKE someone issue one of these letters-- the bearer still has to prove their identity and citizenship, and that is usually really tough to do when you're abroad and mid-crisis, particularly if you've never had a passport before. If you have had one and it was lost or stolen, you are in the system and they will be able to assist you sooner. There is some leeway as to how you establish these facts, but it can be tricky. A massive emergency like a cruise ship breaking down will be handled differently from an individual getting sick or losing their passport.

Consular officers will always jump into the breach and do everything they legally and reasonably can to help you from the moment YOU identify yourself as an American-- they won't wait for documentation to visit you in jail or arrange medical treatment. They will work to get you documented as quickly as possible, but it usually takes a couple of days, and can take much longer if you are a person without much of a paper trail or people who can access it for you. You will be racking up bills that have to be paid during this time-- hotel, medical care, attorney, etc.

I've been in two emergency situations abroad as a private citizen-- one was a personal medical emergency behind the Iron Curtain and the other was the mass disaster that was the Haitian earthquake. Neither of these was something I could have predicted or planned for. In both cases, my life was saved where I was, but my passport got me out of these terrifying situations at the earliest possible moment. I can't imagine having to wait around, in an uncertain or dangerous situation, trying to prove who I am. So although I did this for a living, I've been on the other side both before and after my career, and the one thing you won't catch me without is a valid passport. You aren't required to have one, but it is a very, very good idea to do so.

Amen Brother!

So the documents that I provide to board the ship that prove my identity and citizenship would not be accepted by the Consulate?

I'll le sea monster answer, but I believe the difference is that when you have a passport those documents have been authenticated and verified and the background check performed. When you us them for a cruise the official verification has been performed and no background check has been performed. You are delayed at the Embassy or Consulate while this information is being verified and the background check is being performed.

Dad was career military stationed in Europe, so I have had a passport since I was born. I was always raised with the idea you gotta have a passport and a quarter to call home (metaphorically today) anytime you travel.

Of course they will! But if they have been lost or stolen, or damaged in the course of whatever happened to you to cause you to need consular services, additional verification may be needed. This is one of the great advantages of a passport-- you're in the system, so even if you get separated from your passport, they can still look you up and proceed from there. If your wallet gets swiped in port with your photo ID in it, then sure, you still have a birth certificate, but no photo ID-- and you have an additional problem.

Hundreds of Americans go to embassies and consulates every day with emergency situations and to report lost and stolen passports. I know there's this sense that it doesn't happen that often, but that's inaccurate. It's routine, and therefore also avoidable.

Isn't it funny that my DL and BC is what I have to use to get a passport? I would think if it was good enough to get the "ultimate" ID it would be good enough to prove my identity and citizenship:rolleyes:.

Yes, they are absolutely what you will use to apply for your passport, assuming you still have them and that they are in good shape. Then your new passport will be printed in the US and sent to the embassy or consulate by express carrier. You will rack up lots of extra fees and expenses during the days you are waiting for your passport to arrive-- it is less expensive to just have one in the first place, and you won't waste valuable time during a crisis waiting for your new travel document.

Archived