Why have Galveston Hotel Prices Skyrocketed!

Greatescapes

One of my favorite ports to leave from is Galveston and I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises from there but I am looking at my normal hotels that usually run around $100 per night are now doubled or more in price and many of them wont let you book just Sat and cruise out on Sun, they want you to book at least 2 nights. I loved having a free shuttle and free parking which made it worth while but man did I miss something?

Not too sure what dates you are looking for, but if it is anytime soon it could be due to spring break. Not 100% sure though.

We are looking 2 months and 5 months out. We usually stay at a nice hotel off the seawall (Hilton, Galvez, etc). Just needing a nice room and free shuttle and parking.

The hotels you're looking at have always had a 2 night minimum on the weekends that I can recall, even in the offseason. You can sometimes get that waived if you do a group booking, but I don't know what the success rate is. And the prices skyrocket May-August. We have been able to book the Hilton for Friday night only on a group rate in December 2009, and got the Holiday Inn on Saturday night only in December 2011. I wouldn't count on that for peak season.

Even for a Sunday night stay at the San Luis the night before our May cruise we're still paying $209. Which in reality is pretty good for a night at the San Luis, especially for VIP rooms (thank you Landry's card!), but just to give you an idea that even Sunday night is pricey in early May.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I sometimes stay in Houston, at Hobby Airport. Last year I got us the Marriott for $45 a night using Priceline. Then you have to pay for parking... but it still may be more affordable. Galveston is a tourist town, you can get inexpensive rooms in the off season, but the high season can be very expensive.

We are looking 2 months and 5 months out. We usually stay at a nice hotel off the seawall (Hilton, Galvez, etc). Just needing a nice room and free shuttle and parking.

2 months is May, & there's the Mother's Day holidays to account for (US & Mexico), along with Memorial Day. It's the beginning of the high season, so rates go up.

5 months out is August, still high season. Rates won't start going back down until after Labor Day.

One of my favorite ports to leave from is Galveston and I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises from there but I am looking at my normal hotels that usually run around $100 per night are now doubled or more in price and many of them wont let you book just Sat and cruise out on Sun, they want you to book at least 2 nights. I loved having a free shuttle and free parking which made it worth while but man did I miss something?

It depends on activities going on during the time you're looking to book. If there's a convention or some type of event going on it could make prices skyrocket. Have you thought about calling the hotel directly?

It depends on activities going on during the time you're looking to book. If there's a convention or some type of event going on it could make prices skyrocket. Have you thought about calling the hotel directly?

summer tourist season! with gas so expensive galveston is a hotspot durinh the summer. Want lower rates book after labor day or before spring break (mid march).

Galveston hotels are a total rip-off from Spring Break until October! Gone are the days when we could just take an impulsive, quick weekend get-away for the family to the beach.:( Being a native Texan, I've always been a HUGE Galveston fan and used to go to Galveston 2-3 times every summer, but it sure has changed now. IMHO, the hotels are extremely expensive, yet they are much older, improperly maintained and not upgraded for the price you're forced to pay.:mad:

It's become cheaper to take a week-long cruise out of Galveston than it is to stay there for more than 2-3 nights! We always stay one night in Galveston on the seawall, pre-cruise, because the sound of the crashing waves transports us into the reality of "vacation/cruise mode". I do love my Galveston. However, since decent Galveston hotels are so exhorbitant in cost, I've actually considered booking a room outside Galveston in Texas City.:eek: Looks like they have some nice accommodations out there and more bang for your buck!:)

Bottom line - "Money talks and you know what walks!" In this particular case, it will be ME doing the walking...to Texas City!;) I'm sure that the Galvestonians are all broke up about that fact too. LOL

Happy cruising to all!

I did some calling around today and most the 2 day minimum hotels who have plenty of rooms are not willing to let me book the one day i need. They did however say if I call back closer to time they often open those rooms up for the one day stay. So I guess I can roll the dice and see. Thanks for all the posts.

2 months is May, & there's the Mother's Day holidays to account for (US & Mexico), along with Memorial Day. It's the beginning of the high season, so rates go up.

5 months out is August, still high season. Rates won't start going back down until after Labor Day.

This. Plus Galveston has a lot of weekend events that take place throughout the year resulting in higher prices.

Unless you really have your heart set on Galveston, you might be better looking at the towns between Galveston and Hobby airport. Webster, League City, and Texas City are all thirty minutes or less to the island and have plenty of nice newer hotels and restaurants.

Edited by Rudyard

Looks like your looking in May and August correct? The last couple of summers have been the busiest in a number of years. In May there are a lot of Graduations and people coming in for them. In August we get a lot of the folks that don't want to vacation in June/July when there are so many kids because school is out. Check the calendar at Galveston.com and see if there is an event going on the weekend your looking at that also may cause higher prices. Good Luck! :)

No different than any other destination at a beach in the summer.

There are peak times everywhere and summer is considered a peak time.

Cruises are also much more expensive in the summer than fall or winter due to families on vacation! Same with spring break, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

There are several new hotels as well as the older historic hotels recently refurbished. There are always a few not so up to date hotels anywhere. Just depends on what one is willing to pay.

I did some calling around today and most the 2 day minimum hotels who have plenty of rooms are not willing to let me book the one day i need. They did however say if I call back closer to time they often open those rooms up for the one day stay. So I guess I can roll the dice and see. Thanks for all the posts.

Thanks for the information! I was running into the same problem. It looks like we're on the same cruise! I have found a B&B that I'm considering.

Some of the two nite required hotels can be booked for one nite by using one of the online big travel booking sites. We found that and then called the hotel directly and asked if they would allow one nite since I could book it via the travel site. They told me to book it that way as they would not do it directly. Worth checking the sites out.

Even off season the price just about doubles from mid-week to weekend. I stayed at the Hampton inn last month for a couple nights (wed and thurs nights) for half of what fri/sat would have cost. And this was in Feb after mardi gras and before spring break.

• 7 months later...
Looks like your looking in May and August correct? The last couple of summers have been the busiest in a number of years. In May there are a lot of Graduations and people coming in for them. In August we get a lot of the folks that don't want to vacation in June/July when there are so many kids because school is out. Check the calendar at Galveston.com and see if there is an event going on the weekend your looking at that also may cause higher prices. Good Luck! :)

Hi Janet.

We are planning on staying in Galveston on February 15 for two days following our seven-day cruise out of the new Port of Houston. I have tentatively booked the Quality Inn on the Seawall Drive. Would you recommend this hotel? If not-which one would you suggest in the $100 area per night? As noted before, hotels are very pricey but we would like to explore Galveston. Would love to stay near the old pier.

Do you have any other local suggestions that would be helpful?

What is the traffic like coming from Laporte to Galveston? Is there a less traveled entry and exit from Galveston?

Thank you very much in advance.

Karen

No different than any other destination at a beach in the summer.

There are peak times everywhere and summer is considered a peak time.

Cruises are also much more expensive in the summer than fall or winter due to families on vacation! Same with spring break, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

There are several new hotels as well as the older historic hotels recently refurbished. There are always a few not so up to date hotels anywhere. Just depends on what one is willing to pay.

Hi there

As noted in my previous post, do you have any other suggestions that would be helpful in the Galveston area.

Karen

Hi there

As noted in my previous post, do you have any other suggestions that would be helpful in the Galveston area.

Karen

We always book really early. As soon as we possibly can and we were able to get a room at the Hilton for a little over $100 for one night for our cruise in April. However the rat has doubled now and they are requiring a 2 night stay. You just really never know what they will do.

We used priceline, we "won" La Quinta on the sea wall for $65. I'm sure it can be cheaper or more expensive depending on the date. I've used priceline for lots of different trips and have always been happy.

That's great! We have trouble using Priceline because we have specific things that we need and we normally book directly with the hotel.