??'s on HAL transfer - Seattle to Vancouver

We have never done a HAL transfer before and are looking at doing the 6 day repo cruise from Vancouver to San Diego.

What does the HAL transfer cost (approx) from Seattle to Vancouver? Do they just pick you up at a pre-determined time at the Seattle airport or do they also pick up from hotels?

It should cost the same as it does the opposite way which is $65.00 per person. But you are going to need a very early flight that arrives in the morning I want to say one time I checked it the flight must arrive by 10am Maybe it is 11. I could be mistaken but I know that much later than that they cannot get you to Canada Place on time.

Hi Lisa!

We would fly in the day before and do a little sightseeing in Seattle. But, I just spoke with someone at HAL who said the transfer isn't being offered on this cruise. Is she mistaken or could it be because it's a repo cruise?

Seemed like the HAL transfer would be the easiest way, we'd just stay at an airport area hotel and use the train to get downtown for sightseeing. That way we'd be close to the airport the next morning.

If HAL isn't offering a transfer, consider taking the train. For our Alaska cruise, we flew to Seattle, spent a few days there, then took the train to Vancouver. I think the train can get you there in time for the departure. IIRC, there were a lot of pax on a Celebrity cruise leaving that day. We went a day early to have a little time in Vacouver.

It's a beautiful ride up the coast. And go for business class, where you can reserve your seat and be in one of the first groups to get off the train in Vancouver.

Hi Lisa!

We would fly in the day before and do a little sightseeing in Seattle. But, I just spoke with someone at HAL who said the transfer isn't being offered on this cruise. Is she mistaken or could it be because it's a repo cruise?

Seemed like the HAL transfer would be the easiest way, we'd just stay at an airport area hotel and use the train to get downtown for sightseeing. That way we'd be close to the airport the next morning.

I would guess it is not being offered because it is a Repo cruise.

If HAL isn't offering a transfer, consider taking the train. For our Alaska cruise, we flew to Seattle, spent a few days there, then took the train to Vancouver. I think the train can get you there in time for the departure. IIRC, there were a lot of pax on a Celebrity cruise leaving that day. We went a day early to have a little time in Vacouver.

It's a beautiful ride up the coast. And go for business class, where you can reserve your seat and be in one of the first groups to get off the train in Vancouver.

I just checked Amtrak and there is a train just before 8 in the morning that gets you to Vancouver around 11am. Cost is $29pp. We don't mind taking taxi's to get from hotel to Amtrak and Amtrak to Canada Place. Might even Amtrak it when we arrive in Seattle and head straight to Vancouver as we have friends there we could visit.

My son might be stationed at Ft Lewis south of Seattle/Tacoma, and if he is we'd head to Seattle a couple days early to be able to visit with him.

I always take QuickCoach from Sea-Tac Airport to Vancouver when I'm doing a repo cruise. I go the day before. I wouldn't take the train. A friend of mine did the day of an NCL cruise and it had some track problems and they got on board the ship with only minutes to spare. She said she would never take the train the same day of the cruise again.

I was on QuickCoach once and a couple were boarding the ship the same day as the bus trip...problems at the border and they made it to Canada Place at 3:30 pm with sail away at 5pm. Too close for comfort. I'd head to Vancouver the day before...it's a lovely city.

I always take QuickCoach from Sea-Tac Airport to Vancouver when I'm doing a repo cruise. I go the day before. I wouldn't take the train. A friend of mine did the day of an NCL cruise and it had some track problems and they got on board the ship with only minutes to spare. She said she would never take the train the same day of the cruise again.

I was on QuickCoach once and a couple were boarding the ship the same day as the bus trip...problems at the border and they made it to Canada Place at 3:30 pm with sail away at 5pm. Too close for comfort. I'd head to Vancouver the day before...it's a lovely city.

Good points, thanks! I'm a big one for getting there the day before - never thought about track problems. At that point you're stuck.

Rented a car at the end of our Alaskan cruise to drive from Vancouver to Seattle - worked fine except for the 3 1/2 hour wait to cross the border.

I'll check QuickCoach. Could take that up to Vancouver, get a room, and call our friends for dinner.

Not to change your itinerary too much, but factoring in the $65.00 transfer fee, you could do better by flying into Vancouver direct from MSP.

Unfortunately, there are no direct flights and I have no interest in going to Pheonix to get to Vancouver. And the flights that are comparable in price to flying to Seattle and taking transportation to Vancouver - get us to Vancouver too late at night to enjoy the city.

Unfortunately, there are no direct flights and I have no interest in going to Pheonix to get to Vancouver. And the flights that are comparable in price to flying to Seattle and taking transportation to Vancouver - get us to Vancouver too late at night to enjoy the city.

Ah....sorry. I thought the Delta nonstop that arrives YVR at 11am might work. But you may be using an airport other than MSP.

I see now why I didn't see it - quit looking before I got to that price level. At $460pp one way, both of us can fly to Seattle.

You need to learn about open-jaw (multiple city) bookings. That flight was less than $600 round trip.

You need to learn about open-jaw (multiple city) bookings. That flight was less than $600 round trip.

I don't NEED to learn anything. I already KNOW that I don't care for Delta and their charges for luggage. I DO KNOW that I prefer Southwest even if I need to make a stopover and change planes, thanks to their wonderful customer service. And I DO KNOW that we can fly for considerably less on Southwest than Delta. I KNOW that flying out of MSP, Southwest uses the smaller terminal that is less congested, gates are a minimum walk, getting luggage is an easy task on the return, getting through security is quick, and getting in and out of the airport is easy.

Also, if my son is assigned to Ft Lewis at that time, I KNOW that we will want to fly to Seattle a few days early to have time to visit with him.

Archived