Xbox Gaming Coming to your Local X ship

docsdrillers

Seriously.Is that the future clientele that X wants to cater too.

I'm not talking about kids travelling with their families and having something to do..

direct from Michael Bayley;

"Other plans Bayley discussed included a deal with Microsoft's gaming arm X-box. He confirmed that plans to equip ships with areas devoted to X-box gaming were at an advanced stage, adding that Celebrity also hopes to incorporate X-box Live onboard (allowing participants to compete against each other from different locations via internet).

“We're rebuilding some of our spaces across our entire fleet,” Bayley said. “We will have the largest X-box gaming facilities at sea.”

I'd like to hear comments from fellow CC members...are you worried about this? Is this a good thing or bad or are you indifferent.

Don't get me wrong...i'm a big kid(53) and i love video games but on a cruise:(

Maybe Michael got confuse with the X of Xbox and thought it was cruise related:)

Guys

We're not talking about playing Wii for awhile as an option to kill time.

When you're talking about people competing against others via the internet at remote locations then we are talking serious hard core gamers...these people sit online playing hours and hours at a time...

It means going after a different segment of the population that endulges in hard core gaming and it's typically a much much younger clientele.

Would you be happy if X became Carnival lite....i for one wouldn't..

Why not? The more activities the better, especially if they utilize some space that would otherwise be empty. We have a Wii at home and play games on it. On a rainy day I might be tempted.

Guys

When you're talking about people competing against others via the internet at remote locations then we are talking serious hard core gamers...these people sit online playing hours and hours at a time...

It means going after a different segment of the population that endulges in hard core gaming and it's typically a much much younger clientele.

Gosh - are you equating Xbox Live with being a 'hard-core gamer'? That would make my teenage son a hard core gamer who spends hours and hours on line. He has Xbox live, he isn't and he doesn't...(seriously, he plays lots of sport, and does very well academically). He finds plenty to do on the ship, but would probably like X box, as long as it has the latest version of Fifa!

You may be worrying for no reason - I doubt they want to reposition X to compete with Carnival...think there would need to be developments other than Xbox.

So if I am to understand you correctly, you fear that the inclusion of a type of entertainment that you are not interested in will cause an influx of undesirable customers to X?

I am afraid that you need to broarden your horizons sir, i am considered a hard core gamer and even met my wife online in an online game however we feel we fit in well with the other great people we have met on our celebrity cruises. I enjoy many of the activitys on X but would also enjoy sitting down to play some X box on sea days or to while away some time between events I hardly think such an inclusion will draw any young crowds to celebrity that are not already travelling.

Perhaps you should consider a more exclusive line that is more to your tastes mate?

Seriously.Is that the future clientele that X wants to cater too.

I'm not talking about kids travelling with their families and having something to do..

direct from Michael Bayley;

"Other plans Bayley discussed included a deal with Microsoft's gaming arm X-box. He confirmed that plans to equip ships with areas devoted to X-box gaming were at an advanced stage, adding that Celebrity also hopes to incorporate X-box Live onboard (allowing participants to compete against each other from different locations via internet).

“We're rebuilding some of our spaces across our entire fleet,” Bayley said. “We will have the largest X-box gaming facilities at sea.”

I'd like to hear comments from fellow CC members...are you worried about this? Is this a good thing or bad or are you indifferent.

Don't get me wrong...i'm a big kid(53) and i love video games but on a cruise:(

Maybe Michael got confuse with the X of Xbox and thought it was cruise related:)

Very interesting considering the deal that X has with Apple. Didnt realize they were going to get into bed with Microsoft too

Guys

I don't gather that to be the intention at all. I think you're reading too much into the word "competition". XBox has something called Kinect that uses cameras to measure your input so you can play video games in an active way (kicking for soccer, for example). It's not too different from Wii Bowling. This is more what I imagine is the goal - like at a Microsoft Store (yes they exist) or Best Buy.

I doubt the XBL (XBox Live) portion will ever come to fruition; the internet at sea is too slow. They might be able to set up a local server though for competition in a public room. I don't picture many Celebrity cruisers being into Call of Duty, but you never know until you try. Plus it might actually be fun for families to do with their kids without intruding on the kid activity rooms.

Oh and your "hard core gamers" and "Carnival lite" [sic] comments show how ignorant and prone to prejudice you are. Even if someone was a "hard core gamer", who cares? Why can't they enjoy a Modern Luxury cruise? It sounds like you want everyone on the cruise to meet a certain demographic.

I don't think it's a big deal. It will not attract a lot of young people who currently do not cruise X, if that's what you are worried about.

Mainly I think it will be used by kids travelling with their families, it will give them one more thing to do.

Gosh - are you equating Xbox Live with being a 'hard-core gamer'? That would make my teenage son a hard core gamer who spends hours and hours on line. He has Xbox live, he isn't and he doesn't...(seriously, he plays lots of sport, and does very well academically). He finds plenty to do on the ship, but would probably like X box, as long as it has the latest version of Fifa!

You may be worrying for no reason - I doubt they want to reposition X to compete with Carnival...think there would need to be developments other than Xbox.

You just described my 15 y/o son :) I hope that Eclipse have this system for our Baltic cruise in July. With five days at sea, the teenagers cruising with us will have a great time!!

I know some X fans don't want to think about the possibility of Celebrity trying to cater to families, but it is a possibility. We are D+ in RCCL and love their product, but their smoking policy is driving us away from them. As someone cruising with teenagers I will welcome any change that will attract more families.

My oldest son met his wife playing World of Warcraft... I know how hard it is to understand but this sounds like a great offering. My kids all "game" in their spare time and would find it a riot to play against others on board in their down time.

And no, this won't draw a different clientele- not one that would affect anyone else, anyway. Might lighten the load at the pool during busy sailings.

Think: polite nerds.

We play from time to time, too. It´s fun to have something different than trivias.

However, I would like Celebrity to focus more on amenities, which they have skipped lately. (Water pichter, Sherbet on Formal Night, Baked Alaska Parade in MDR etc.)

My husband is a hard core gamer and might or might not participate as most of what he plays is on the computer. We have an X-box that my brother bought us for Christmas that he plays at times...he says he hates all the controls. I tend to think when he's on a cruise, he's usually content with the view, a drink and talking with friends. I play at times, but some of those games are a little rough for me. I like the competition, Nintendo, and more specifically, Mario Kart...it's a lot of laughs, but at home....I cruise because I like the experience. It's a nice option though for those who enjoy games!

Guys

Many of the first generation that grew up playing Atari and Nintendo have turned 40 (approaching 50) and are exactly the middle-age, upper income demographic that Celebrity targets. For this group and generations to follow, playing video games is as common as board games and cards were for previous generations.

On-line gaming does not necessarily equate to “hardcore gaming”. It enables you to compete (golf, race, dance and many others…) against someone other than the computer or the person sitting next to you.

I think it sounds like a fun activity option. The X in Celebrity and the X in Xbox is a cool tie-in. I won’t pick a cruise just because video games are available but I can see myself giving it a try.

I think this sounds interesting. The video game generation is growing up and has more disposable income now.

Video games doesn't necessarily mean low class.

Just imagine if they start getting LARPers onboard :eek:

I'm 53 years old and in the health profession and i love playing video games so in no way do i associate gamers with being low class.

My understanding of hard core gamers(garnered from my university aged daughter) is the player who sits by the computer/game console for hours and hours at a time(sometimes all day) online competing with others.

Believe it or not there is an actual professional tour for gamers and they are typically in their late teens to mid 30's.

That's the clientele that i'm worried about and yes that is quite different than kids traveling with their parents having some fun during their down time.

Having an option for teens on a cruise with their parents would be a great idea if that's the intent.

Sorry,didn't mean to dis anyone or hurt anyone's feelings.

Believe it or not there is an actual professional tour for gamers and they are typically in their late teens to mid 30's.

That's the clientele that i'm worried about

So tell us, what is it about a young adult who makes a living doing a job different from yours that you are "worried about"? Oh and would you do your job when on vacation? I know I wouldn't, so I don't know what your problem is except that you have a prejudice. Being upset about a gamer while loving to play video games is like saying "I'm not a racist, I have black friends."

Can we all just pause for a moment to reflect on the fact that we are the ones putting smiley faces on an internet message board about cruise ships?

There, that should put Xbox usage into perspective ;)

That's the clientele that i'm worried about ...

Why would someone who is a professional gamer, go on a cruise ship to play games? Are we concerned about the basketball hoops on the sports deck attracting NBA players to cruise on Celebrity?:rolleyes:

Not that there would be anything wrong with that.

Archived