Naturalist on Alaska Cruise?

sabrefan

Interested in sailing on the Regatta for 10 day Vancouver to Seattle Alaska cruise in 2014. Can anyone tell me if Oceania provides an on board naturalist who points out wildlife sightings and information along the way?

Interested in sailing on the Regatta for 10 day Vancouver to Seattle Alaska cruise in 2014. Can anyone tell me if Oceania provides an on board naturalist who points out wildlife sightings and information along the way?

We were on Oceania's first Alaska cruise and we don't remember any naturalist on board. This may have changed but we won't know until we take this cruise again in May of 2014.

It would be sad if there was no one to lecture about the ports . I can't imagine O not having that.

~Doris~

There is always a port talk (can't call it a lecture) mostly about the tours they want to sell you. None of the towns we've been to require much of a talk as they are small and VERY commercial and touristy! Most sights are away from the ports.

During Oceania's inaugural season in Alaska Terry Breen was on Regatta. Her broad knowledge of Alaska and its people made for a very enjoyable cruise. I would recommend her book Cruiser Friendly Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage. As an added bonus, we only had 1 day of rain out of 12!

Did they not have Terry Breen on past Alaska cruises??

Actually they did but she is a sociologist not a naturalist. She was excellent in speaking as a scholar of the peoples of Alaska rather than the usual port talks. I don't remember her ever pointing out animals, however.

Actually they did but she is a sociologist not a naturalist. She was excellent in speaking as a scholar of the peoples of Alaska rather than the usual port talks. I don't remember her ever pointing out animals, however.

Thanks

When I did a search she was promoted as a naturalist on the cruises

Guess someone got it wrong

Archived