How Are Docking Assignments Made?

sail7seas

Any number of times when we've been aboard, I've meant to ask how assignments are made as to which ship will dock where in a port but I keep forgetting to ask.

I have a notion that perhaps a ship that calls weekly or on a regular basis may have a priority for 'good' dock. Or size of ship could be a determination....dock too small; ship small enough to go elsewhere.

Does the Harbormaster make the assignment?

How far ahead of arrival in port does the Captain know to which dock he's going?

Thanks if you can answer. :)

IIRC from Capt Albert's blog entries over time, it has to do with ship size, frequency of visits, number of ships in port (someone may have to anchor/tender if there aren't enough places to dock) and order of arrival/departure (e.g., if a big ship is to arrive after you but leave before and your position blocks easy egress, docking position may be affected).

sail7seas, What bcd2010 said is correct. I summarize this in a little bit easier understanding is as follows.

Big ship takes precedent over little ship.

Ship that calls more often gets pier space of a ship that doesn't call often.

Then you have to look at if there is some difficult for a ship to get into port.

One example is Oasis and Allure can't dock at Havensight only at Crown Bay.

Holland America and Princess dock at Crown Bay because of a contract.

There is a lot of things that come into effect when deciding where a ship will dock. However, this is just a quick summary.

Then people have the question is the port or starboard side going to be against the pier and this is another topic for discussion.

Thanks,

Pretty much what I suspected, it seems. :)

Does Harbormaster make docking assignments?

How soon ahead of arrival does Captain know to which dock he is headed?

Thanks,

Pretty much what I suspected, it seems. :)

Does Harbormaster make docking assignments?

How soon ahead of arrival does Captain know to which dock he is headed?

Many of the ports in Alaska have already assigned the docking schedules for the ships. I have found websites for the ports in Skagway and Juneau that indicate where the Zaandam is to be docked for the entire season.

It's funny that you should ask that question today because I was reading on SeatradeInsider exactly this subject!!!

QUOTE: "Cruise lines and ports spar on berthing, fees and communications

Speaking with his CLIA Europe ports sub-committee hat on Sharp said the lines disapprove on the first to arrive berthing policy. ‘It is creating a big issue of high speed runs from port to port overnight.’ He did say it was not so prevalent in the Med anymore but he referred to Santorini as ‘the last bastion’.............<SNIP>......... Read entire Article Here: http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/cruise-lines-and-ports-spar-on-berthing-fees-and-communications.html " UNQUOTE

I know they did not mention the US Ports, but I believe First Come First Served may be the thing here also. If you look at arrival times of the ships in Port Everglades, it seems to me that near the beginning of the Caribbean Season the big ships were arriving not only first but also in the middle and towards the end of the early morning time frames (4:00 to 6:30 am or so.......) But towards the end of the season it was reversed, with the larger ships arriving first......

I know that the Harbor Master is also the one to assign the Piers so...........

I also think that for the largest such as Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas they may be assigned only to Pier 18 due to the length of the pier...Not sure, but hazarding that as a guess.

Joanie

Docking/Berthing space, where to go and when to go there depends on a number of factors. First, the cruise line makes a booking with the port authority, normally up to two years in advance. The earlier he company makes that reservation, the better chance hey have of getting in. Then it comes down to docking or anchoring (if/when both options are available at a certain port, i.e. in ports such as Cabo San Lucas, Catalina Island, Baah Habaah, and St. Barts only anchoring is available)

If a ship uses the port as a turn-around port (i.e. disembarking and embarking pax; for HAL including such "regular" turn-around ports as Ft. Lauderdale, Vancouver, Seattle, San Diego, Seward, Boston, Montreal, etc.) that ship will dock at the passenger terminal, depending on if one or more dedicated terminal buildings are availeble in that particular turn-around port; Port Everglades has several. For a non turn-around port call (for HAL, ports like Halifax, Ketchikan, Juneau, etc) it could be assigned to another berth/pier if more than one is available. In that case and if the ship is on a "normal" call, then the assigned location depends on the following factors:

1. Length of available dock

2. Number of guests on board

3. Arrival and departure time

4. Frequency of calling. (a 7 day ship takes precedence over a 10 day ship, if a ship is on her only call, she gets last preference)

5. Draft of the ship and the ships' length.

6. Harbor fees (some ports go on tonnage, some on ships length, some on number of guests on board)

7. What does not fit in will have to anchor.

In some ports, company-built and owned docks (Crown Bay in St. Thomas) also come into play, Based on the above criteria the harbor master, especially in a busy port, will decide usually at least 24 hours prior to the arrival where the ship will go. If there is only one cruise ship calling during the day, then it will get the prime spot in that particular harbor.

Lastly, which side of the ship faces the dock/pier can change at the last minute depending on such factors as the harbormaster, pilot and the ship's staff captain (formerly chief officer) who might, on a particular day, want his sailors to perform maintenance on/paint/wash down the starboard side, as opposed to the port side

I know that the Harbor Master is also the one to assign the Piers so...........

I also think that for the largest such as Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas they may be assigned only to Pier 18 due to the length of the pier...Not sure, but hazarding that as a guess.

Joanie

Hi,

You're right as regards HarbourMaster: he/she has the ultimate last say.

Re; #18 Everglades: RCCL had the whole #18 redesigned and rebuilt ''purpose-specific'' to handle the two Behemoths of the Seas'' on saturdays and Sundays.

Which leaves it open for other RCCL's brands vessels the rest of the week....which begs the other question: why on earth assign Liberty of the Seas to #25 on Mondays and fridays...and Vision of the Seas to #4 every other week

( weekday....):confused:

Cheers

It is definately a combination of the factors above, the Port Authorities (Harbour Master, Senior Pilots, VTS etc) in well run ports have regular meetings to decide the locations of the ships, and they have to take into account the requirements and characteristics of the ships, the berths available and cost/loyalty does come into play at times. You normally get informed of the berth assignment a few days before via the ships agent. Occasionally you get given completely awful berths.

As for which side alongside, this is a decision by the Captain based on operational requirements. If you arrive late, then you often go onto the fastest way possible and perform the more complex manouver on departure. If you need to make a quick departure as soon as the pax are onboard, you perform the more complex of manouevres on arrival, so you have a straight out departure etc.

Sail, our schedule has been posted for quite some time now. I suspect you will be here on the Veendam. It is scheduled to dock at the Marco Polo Terminal, which is the new one that was built just a few years ago, not the one that just opened.

Copper John, thank you for taking the time to give such detailed information, it has certainly answered some of my own questions, especially with regard to the turn-around ports and criteria for which ship goes where.

Your participation on this board is much appreciated as we can always depend on you for factual answers:)

It is definately a combination of the factors above, the Port Authorities (Harbour Master, Senior Pilots, VTS etc) in well run ports have regular meetings to decide the locations of the ships, and they have to take into account the requirements and characteristics of the ships, the berths available and cost/loyalty does come into play at times. You normally get informed of the berth assignment a few days before via the ships agent. Occasionally you get given completely awful berths.

As for which side alongside, this is a decision by the Captain based on operational requirements. If you arrive late, then you often go onto the fastest way possible and perform the more complex manouver on departure. If you need to make a quick departure as soon as the pax are onboard, you perform the more complex of manouevres on arrival, so you have a straight out departure etc.

Thanks to you too:) Just took a quick look at your blog - very interesting. Nice to have person "in the know" around here;)

The strangest thing happened on my recent Noordam cruise (Feb 18 - Mar 1, 2013). We were supposed to go to Crown Bay in St. Thomas but ended up at Havensight at the last minute. I don't know how that happened but I was pretty happy about it.

Sometimes there are unforeseen circumstances. Once when we were supposed to dock in St Lucia there was a ship in our spot that hadn't left as scheduled the previous day. We had to tender. More recently, there was the Carnival Dream docked in St Martin for an extra couple of days. :)

Sail, our schedule has been posted for quite some time now. I suspect you will be here on the Veendam. It is scheduled to dock at the Marco Polo Terminal, which is the new one that was built just a few years ago, not the one that just opened.

Thanks, Sapper. :)

Last we were in Saint John, we came through tenting.

A new (to us) terminal, especially one with free WiFi, sounds great.

Yes, we're on the Veendam cruise.

The strangest thing happened on my recent Noordam cruise (Feb 18 - Mar 1, 2013). We were supposed to go to Crown Bay in St. Thomas but ended up at Havensight at the last minute. I don't know how that happened but I was pretty happy about it.

That's a nice surprise.

One time we were at St. Thomas on Noordam, we anchored at inner harbor.

Last year we happened to be standing next to Capt Gundersen (on the Prinsendam) when another passenger happened to ask just that question. Capt "Halle" just laughed and said he sometimes thinks the port master simply rolls the dice or draws straws. It is a little different in the home ports where the cruise lines do have some say in the matter.

Hank

When we docked in Curacao last year, we were as far away from the entrance to the port as a ship could be.I wondered if that was a way for Hal to save money.

Were you docked outside at the Mega Pier? Both times were were there on the Eurodam we docked inside the Queen Emma floating bridge.

When we docked in Curacao last year, we were as far away from the entrance to the port as a ship could be.I wondered if that was a way for Hal to save money.

You're talking about the infamous Motet Wharf, basically designed as a dock for the adjacent Curacao Oil terminal, around the corner from the big Queen Juliana Bridge. The Motet Wharf is without a doubt the ugliest, least desired brth in Willemstad, Curacao. However, when there is a cruise ship at the Mega Pier, and two others back-to-back at the much nicer Mathey Wharf (by the little ferry dock), someone's gotta go to Motet. We were there on Maasdam three out of our four calls at Willemstad. It smells (like an oil facility does), it's a pretty good trek to town, there's absolutely nothing there, just not anice location but it is used!

Oh, and it has nothing to do with HAL saving money;), On our only call when we were assigned to Mathey Wharf, they (Curacao Port Authority) tried to get us to switch back to Motet because Club Med II (a sailing yacht) was assigned to Motet but, due to her mast, could not fit underneath Queen Juliana's Bridge. Our captain said nope, we've alreday been to Motet twice, and Club Med II wound up anchoring outside and tendering

Archived