Chilkoot - Yukon Rail/Bus/Dogcart Ride

Nana57

i have done the 7 1/2 hr tour with chilkoot and loved it. i did not do the dog sled ride but everyone who did seemed too like it. it is done on a dirt path not snow. the kids loved the puppies. i spent the time in the museum and while others did the ride. the tour itself was wonderful with a van that had great windows too see out of and a very informative fun driver. the lunch was wonderful. i think if you do a search here for '' chilkoot '' you will find many post about it. have fun if you take this tour.

We did the rail/bus tour with Chilkoot last summer. We did not do the dog cart.

We did the train UP to Fraser, BC. (must have passport or Chilkoot won't take you, period.) Through Chilkoot, you have your own rail car, with only other Chilkoot passengers. This can be good as you will have seats on the side of the train for the best viewing - Left going UP, Right coming down).

Once in Fraser, Canadian Border agents board the train, check passports, ask a couple of questions, and you're off to the Chilkoot bus. Which, actually isn't a big long bus like a Greyhound. It's more like a daycare/assisted living 'bus'. Very comfortable, and large windows for seeing.

On the way back down, your driver will stop at some highlights - the "Welcome to Alaska" sign - great for pictures, some other places along the way. You can take a little more time coming down, rather than the large tour buses.

On our way down, there was a black bear along side the road eating dandelions. We pulled right up to the guard rail, and 5 feet on the other side is this black bear minding his own business. It was remarkable. Large tours weren't able to do that.

I highly, highly recommend Chilkoot. Once you are back down into Skagway, they can drop you anywhere you like along the main drag, or take you all the way back to the ship. Your choice.

We did the train UP to Fraser, BC. (must have passport or Chilkoot won't take you, period.) Through Chilkoot, you have your own rail car, with only other Chilkoot passengers. This can be good as you will have seats on the side of the train for the best viewing - Left going UP, Right coming down).

Once in Fraser, Canadian Border agents board the train, check passports, ask a couple of questions, and you're off to the Chilkoot bus. Which, actually isn't a big long bus like a Greyhound. It's more like a daycare/assisted living 'bus'. Very comfortable, and large windows for seeing.

On the way back down, your driver will stop at some highlights - the "Welcome to Alaska" sign - great for pictures, some other places along the way. You can take a little more time coming down, rather than the large tour buses.

On our way down, there was a black bear along side the road eating dandelions. We pulled right up to the guard rail, and 5 feet on the other side is this black bear minding his own business. It was remarkable. Large tours weren't able to do that.

I highly, highly recommend Chilkoot. Once you are back down into Skagway, they can drop you anywhere you like along the main drag, or take you all the way back to the ship. Your choice.

Your description sounds like their shortest tour available round trip BC. ?

Any body remember the cost of this tour, and also is it better than the Dyea Dave tour or are they about the same

I paid $176/person. I went with Chilkoot because the price includes the price of the train. Dyea Dave's tour, essentially the same and appears cheaper, does not include the train ticket. When adding in the train ticket, I think both tours came out to be about the same. I guess it just depends what you are more comfortable with.

I rode on the Bennett Discovery Tour last summer with Chilkoot and had a wonderful time. I know that this is a different tour than being asked about. However the same 12 pax van/bus and the Carcross to Skagway portion of the trip is the same. Dyea Dave does not include the train - but will stop at Fraser to let you buy a ticket (if any are available). Having your own rail car is quite nice and the overall size of the tour makes it great. Chilkoot tours is a family operation and the family has lived in AK and the Skagway area for many years. The owners are sisters and while mom and dad are retired (from other jobs) and live in AZ during the winter and spend summers in Skagway helping their daughters run the business. Dad drives and Mom dispatches. They also hire other driver/guides - I happened to get the dad :D

here are the tours and prices for this yr for chilkoot

White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion (lunch is not included with this excursion)

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first)

Cost: $123.00 Adult $73.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser & return to Skagway

Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $176.00 Adult $116.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train – 1 ¾ hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion With 15 Minute Dogsled Ride (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $208.00 Adult $148.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp and the 15-minute dogcart ride also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train – 1 ¾ hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Bennett Scenic Journey (lunch included)

Duration: 8 Hours (May 29-August 30, 2013 Tues. thru Sat. only)

For the 2013 season the Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion operates as follows:

Northbound train on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Southbound train on Tuesdays and Fridays

Departure: 7:30AM for the Northbound train

Departure: 8:30AM for the Southbound train

Cost: $229.00 Adult $114.50 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Mulligan stew, homemade bread, coleslaw, apple pie. Lunch is at Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall. Parks Canada Interpretive Displays and self-guided walking tour also included

Itinerary: 2 ¾ hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 ¼ hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett– 1 ½ hour by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

White Pass Summit Excursion (By bus only)

Duration: 2.5 Hours

Departure: 9:00AM

Cost: $46.00 Adult $35.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway to White Pass Summit with photo stops all along the way, fully narrated and entertaining, gold rush history with amusing Alaska stories

Discover The Yukon Adventure (By bus only) LUNCH INCLUDED

Duration: 6.5 Hours

Departure: 8:30AM

Cost: $99.00 Adult $67.00 Child (12 & Under)

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Carcross/Emerald Lake and return to

Skagway by bus

Discover The Yukon Adventure With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride (By bus only)

Duration: 6.5 Hours

Departure: 8:30AM

Cost: $129.00 Adults $96.00 Child (12 & Under)

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp and the 15-minute dogcart ride also

included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Carcross/Emerald Lake and return to

Skagway by bus

Chilkoot Charters & Tours offers a full service package with all of its excursions. This means that all of the applicable components of the excursion are included in the already discounted excursion price as well as U.S. and Canadian sales taxes. Our passengers also enjoy the convenience of courtesy transportation to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway. Lunch accommodations for the 6.5, 7.5 & 8 hour excursions, train tickets and ground transportation for all excursions have been prearranged for you so there is no waiting in line to purchase anything once you arrive in Skagway. Just meet us at the dock and we are ready to go!

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions.

Reservations may be made by visiting our web site at www.chilkootcharters.com and completing our online reservation form. Once we receive a reservation request, we will respond within 24-48 hours with an email confirmation that includes meeting and pickup instructions. Full tour payment will be processed at the time the reservation is confirmed.

Regards,

Stacy Gould

CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS

Skagway, Alaska

Delete Reply Reply All Forward MoveSpamActions Next Previous

DUSTY

Your description sounds like their shortest tour available round trip BC. ?

Yes, we did to the summit and back. Our girls were 7 and 5. They would not have tolerated much longer on the train. The summit trip was just enough for them. Plus, there were other things we wanted to show them in Skagway.

I can also recommend a stop at Skagway Brewing Co. Best rootbeer EVER! Nice bites to eat, and the beer was very good, too. Friendly staff, and several locals in there to talk to.

i booked the $99 6 1/2 hr van ride this morning for sept. i like too have my tours booked and put in my budget before i get on the ship. and they are very popular now and book quickly. i cant wait too go with them again. the lunch is very good.

We did the 7 1/2 hour trip a few years ago and the train/van trip was just the right introduction to the best of the area. I would really like to do a sled dog adventure someday but only on snow. The dogs in mid-July seemed tired and worn out and like they just weren't in the mood when we were there. Not that they weren't well cared for, but they are obviously much happier with snow. It might be great fun but it just can't be the same quality of an adventure.

We rented a car on our last trip to Skagway and it was a very easy thing to do. I would do the train/van if it was your first time, though!

Oh I just love hearing positive reviews like this! We are doing this excursion (but with the bus ride first). I hope there will be enough time for some stops/pictures but I do understand they have to make sure we get to the train on time.

Thanks for your post!

i booked my chilkoot tour online on sat and got my confirmation today. the last time i went with them they made sure and dropped us off towntown when we got back too skagway if we wanted too . i cant wait too go again. :)

Archived