Traveling Internationally With Prescription Meds

Von2cruz

We take your approach with prescription meds. For OTC drugs that can be easily replaced and are bought in Costco sized containers, I use labeled Zip Loc bags to pack them in.

I take the added precaution of having a doctor's note on her prescription form stating that my controlled substance is needed for migraine headaches.

When we are aboard the ship all our meds are kept in the safe.

I have started to do the same with our OTC. We are always in embarkation port days before we sail so we can easily replace any OTC that might be confiscated.

I also put certain Rx medications in our safe. I leave out one dose in a tiny ziplock and lock up the bottle(s).

I always assume everyone is honest but no need to 'test them'. It's common sense to secure certain medications. IMO

Thanks to Peter for some real facts.

Everyone has an opinion... The TSA is responsible for checking outbound bags for hazardous material. Checks of bags on entry to another country would be up to the customs department of that country.

You are all worried about what COULD happen -- without any basis or facts.

If you travel, you are doing it for fun. Spend some time enjoying the travel and spend less time worrying about what might go wrong :)

From the TSA website:

We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to facilitate the security process.

and

TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

(Emphasis is mine)

TSA is concerned with the safety and security of the aircraft. Medicines, so long as they can't be used to interfere with the flight, are outside the scope of their charge.

Customs, of the US and of other countries, is concerned with the importation of (among other things) drugs, including medicines.

Quoting the TSA website gives at best an incomplete answer to the OP's question. TSA is concerned about what you have with you when you leave; Customs is concerned about what you have with you when you arrive.

Personally, I always travel with my considerable meds in their original containers. I do carry the little pouches for the day of the flight, but that's for my convenience on the plane. I could afford to have a few pills taken away, but not the whole lot of them.

Thanks to Peter for some real facts.

Everyone has an opinion... The TSA is responsible for checking outbound bags for hazardous material. Checks of bags on entry to another country would be up to the customs department of that country.

You are all worried about what COULD happen -- without any basis or facts.

If you travel, you are doing it for fun. Spend some time enjoying the travel and spend less time worrying about what might go wrong

The basis and fact for all I have written in this thread is what I have witnessed at airports.

I stated in my first post it may not be what we have to do but I don't want to be the one standing at security check arguing with the TSA agent who says the medications are getting dumped. Yes, I'd be right but I'd still lose the meds I need. :eek:

I have SEEN it happen. If I had not seen it, I might feel differently but when you see those ziplocs getting tossed and you must take meds, you think twice about being the one who could have them confiscated.

I am a low risk taker.

If you are a better risk taker, good luck

Just because it hasn't happened to you.... add a 'yet'. IMO

Quoting the TSA website gives at best an incomplete answer to the OP's question. TSA is concerned about what you have with you when you leave; Customs is concerned about what you have with you when you arrive.

I agree, I only quoted TSA because quite a few posted about what happens stateside with the TSA. :)

I agree, I only quoted TSA because quite a few posted about what happens stateside with the TSA. :)

Understood. :)

Isn't it amazing how the first thing Americans, and those traveling to/from America, think about is TSA. TSA has grabbed a lot of power, even over things that are not their concern.

This is discussed often on these forums.

I will not risk having our medications seized at an airport and discarded. We must have them and would have to return home were we without them. Thus, we carry those medications which we must have in original pharmacy provided bottles. I'd rather just use the weekly pill holder but I wait until we are on the ship to set up our pill cases.

I personally have seen security at airports discard pills carried out of pharmacy holders. Whether they 'can' or not, whether they should or not is not a fight I wish to have. I avoid the chance for a problem.

There are others who will not agree with me and that is fine. I am not willing to take the risk.

In Europe it is not uncommon for prescription meds to be given to you in the box from the manufacturer - thats it. The pharmacist may scribble 1X2/day on it or something but thats it.

This is NOT advice, but european security sees this daily. As to why TSA would do what you say (if you are referring to US airport security) is beyond me but I believe it.

Its all just part of travel misery these days.:eek:

Always keep the empty bottle when you finish using the meds so that when it comes time to travel, you can just take enough of what you need and the other 40 or 60 days worth can stay at home in the other container.

Dh and I do that all the time.

All the creams, pills, ointments or whatever are carried in that TSA baggie that we get at the airport. They are locked in the safe once we are on the ship.

We are actually at that point right now where we are packing meds.

I went on a 3 week land tour to Italy and Greece a couple of years ago. I went to the pharmacy, asked them to print labels for my meds. Took the labels home, put meds in small zip lock baggies and put the labels on the baggie. Never had a problem either. Took way less room that way. I still do the pill a week box thing too, just out of the baggies instead of the bottles. In fact I've got a couple of the baggies right here on my desk.

Understood. :)

Isn't it amazing how the first thing Americans, and those traveling to/from America, think about is TSA. TSA has grabbed a lot of power, even over things that are not their concern.

I don't see it as them grabbing power: they are a creature created by Congress with specific purposes.

I have never had TSA even have a look at my meds - which includes liquids.

From the Official US Customs web site, which was Updated 02/13/2013 01:05 PM:

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

The FDA is responsible for pharmaceutical admissibility determinations. If you have any questions as to whether a specific pharmaceutical may be imported into the United States, please contact the FDA, Division of Import Operations and Policy, at (301) 796-0356.

If you are traveling with medical devices such as needles or oxygen tanks that could pose a security or safety concern to others, be sure to have a copy of the prescription for those items from your doctor. You should also contact the Transportation Security Administration about any additional requirements they may have.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/~/traveling-with-medications-and-medical-devices,-such-as-needles-or-oxygen-tanks

From the Australian Official Customs Office (arriving)

Medicines

You need to declare medicines and substances which may be subject to misuse, abuse or dependence, for example, steroids, opioid analgesics, cannabis or narcotic based medications. These products may be restricted or require a permit in order to be imported. Some traditional medicines may contain endangered plant or animal products and these should be declared to Customs and Border Protection.

If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you import no more than three months supply. It is advisable that you carry a letter of prescription from your doctor in the English language describing your medical condition.

No Need to Declare

If you are carrying medications such as aspirin, paracetamol or Australian over the counter medications you do not need to declare these items to Customs and

Border Protection when you arrive in Australia. If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you carry a letter or prescription from your Doctor in the English language describing your medication and medical condition and you import no more than three months supply.

Important note:

If you are residing or visiting Australia for 3 months or longer and require ongoing medications, it is advisable that you visit an Australian medical practitioner to obtain your prescriptions. If you are intending to have your medications sent through the mail or via courier, import permits will be required prior to importing the medications. It is recommended that you enquire about the import procedures before you arrive in Australia.http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4351.asp

Departing Australia

Items you must declare on departure

Medicines

You need to declare medicines and substances which may be subject to misuse, abuse or dependence, for example, steroids, opioid analgesics, cannabis or narcotic based medications. These products may be restricted or require a permit in order to be imported. Some traditional medicines may contain endangered plant or animal products and these should be declared to Customs and Border Protection.

No Need to Declare

If you are carrying medications such as aspirin, paracetamol or Australian over the counter medications you do not need to declare these items to Customs and Border Protection when you arrive in Australia. If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you carry a letter or prescription from your Doctor in the English language describing your medication and medical condition and you import no more than three months supply.

If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you import no more than three months supply. It is advisable that you carry a letter of prescription from your doctor in the English language describing your medical condition.

Departing Australia

Many prescriptions medicines are financially subsidised by the Australian Government under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS). You can only take out of Australia the amount of medication you need. It is advisable that you carry a medical and/ or dental practitioner’s letter and complete the PBS Medicine Export Declaration available from Medicare Australia.

Important note:

If you are residing or visiting Australia for 3 months or longer and require ongoing medications, it is advisable that you visit an Australian medical practitioner to obtain your prescriptions. If you are intending to have your medications sent through the mail or via courier, import permits will be required prior to importing the medications. It is recommended that you enquire about the import procedures before you arrive in Australia.

Hope this is of some help to anyone who needs it.

Joanie

According to Air New Zealand information on their website they say to have prescription meds in the original bottles with name etc. We are both on several prescription meds and unfortunately some of the bottles are large because we get a 90 day supply at a time . Has anyone had problems putting them in those weekly med containers instead of the original bottles when going through checkpoints ? We have not while traveling in the US , but wondered about it for international travel. Please share if you have any advice. These are not controlled medications such as narcotics.

We also have to travel with many medications, some of which are controlled Schedule II and III. For that alone - I would never dream of carrying them in anything that was not with the label, etc. - even the liquids.

Here is a hint: My pharmacy can re-print the labels for any given RX as many times as needed (the ones with the sticky self adhesive backing). They have done this for me often, because sometimes drugs are dispensed in manufacturer packaging (i.e. a carton outside the actual pill bottle/tube of cream, etc.)

Since the pharmacy places the label on the carton and not the pill bottel in those cases, I was nervous about traveling. They simply print additional labels for me to place on the "inside content" once I have the package opened. If they can do this for you, too - you can also simply ask them for smaller containers and then place the labels.

Hope this helps. I have never had problems with this approach.

Joanie

Very helpful.

As noted, requirements for customs are different than security. This is why I am surprised that TSA would be so aggressive with prescription meds.

I had a thought. If TSA can seize two weeks worth of say blood pressure medication on the grounds they don't know you need it, perhaps they should remove pacemakers as well unless you have a doctor's certificate.:eek:

I agree pharmacies can and will print multiple copies of the pharmaceutical label.

I think those who say they have to bring the 90 day size bottles are getting the medications from mail order. Some insurance requires you get from these mail pharmacy and then the patient has no relationship with this distant dispensary.

I use a local pharmacy and the relationship with local pharmacy is very valuable. IMO

Very helpful.

As noted, requirements for customs are different than security. This is why I am surprised that TSA would be so aggressive with prescription meds.

I had a thought. If TSA can seize two weeks worth of say blood pressure medication on the grounds they don't know you need it, perhaps they should remove pacemakers as well unless you have a doctor's certificate.:eek:

And you think those little side rooms are only for a strip search!!! :eek:

I use a persciption pain medicine that is a controlled substance. ANy advise on what to do when going through TSA in NY or Newark and arriving in Spain? I can't travel without it.

I have always carried mine in the labelled prescription bottle with a note from my doctor. However in a lifetime of frequent border crossings I have never been questioned about my meds. These guys develop a nose for the type of person they are looking for and I am sure you would not be on their radar.

Having said that, there is always the chance someone will decide to be extra thorough and give you the once over. Best to be prepared.

When I lived in a small border town we always knew when the inspectors were making a visit because suddenly the border guards would perk up and be extra vigilant for a few days. Then the inspectors would move on and life would return to normal.

Would you believe that back in the 70's and 80’s when I lived there, as I drove into the States, very often the guard would just be sitting inside a plate glass window and wave to the locals as they crossed the border. How sad that times have had to change.

I think I'll get a note from my pain doctor next time I see him. It will be before we go to Spain, but after we go to the Caribbean. I didn't have a problem last year, but I think I'll call and get the letter just in case.

I use a persciption pain medicine that is a controlled substance. ANy advise on what to do when going through TSA in NY or Newark and arriving in Spain? I can't travel without it.

Carol,

You don't need a note from your doctor. I have traveled with controlled substances a number of times and as long as they are in the pharmacy bottle with your name on the label, you will not have a problem. The whole key is pharmacy packing and the label on the bottle having your name.

I use a local pharmacy and the relationship with local pharmacy is very valuable. IMO

I know what you mean. Ours puts aside a stash of our favourite Halloween candies away for us for November. That kind of thoughtfulness is rare these days.:D

You don't need a note from your doctor. I have traveled with controlled substances a number of times and as long as they are in the pharmacy bottle with your name on the label, you will not have a problem. The whole key is pharmacy packing and the label on the bottle having your name.

Just confirming that you've done that in Spain?

I too get smaller containers from my pharmacy and duplicate labels for my presc. meds, just to be safe. For my trips of over 60 days what size container I use depends on the size of the pills. However, in travels involving over 100 countries by land, sea and/or air NO ONE has ever asked about pills, injectables, syringes, and so on. I have traveled with some very unusual medications at times. They are very visible, but no one seems to be interested. However, I am prepared in case.

The joke about the value of labeled bottles is that in most cases the TSA/custom/immigration folks, whoever looks, for most meds will have NO idea of what the actual pills are regardless of the label. Oh, some are easily memorized, but with so many generics out there, no way can these folks memorize all possibilities. They have too many other things to look for, learn about, etc. Of course, if you look suspicious to them, anything can happen.

My mineral/vitamins I put in plastic bags with the appropriate information from the box or bottle they came in. I figure the latter I can get in many places if something happens to the ones I bring.

One thing to remember, OTC drugs may vary in different parts of the world. For example, in Greece the automatically given "adult aspirin" that so many of us take are 121mg, versus our .81 mg. It was fine, but different.

Just confirming that you've done that in Spain?

Actually, Yes I have.

We flew to Madrid to Malaga for a visit to Marbella..... twice.

We also had a cruise port call in Malaga..... we caught a taxi and had fun at Torremolinos for the day.

I use pain medications and travel with each of them due to what pain level I might be at at any time during my travels, Oxycontin, Hydrocodone and Tylenol 3. I also use a muscle relaxer Soma, Temazapam which is a sleeping pill and Lorazpam for calming my recently developed panic attacks, all of which are controlled substances, some more so than others.

I have never had a problem or even a question asked of me regarding any of them nor the quantities that I have them in.

Of course it might help me in the fact that when they do my pat downs they can feel the implant and its battery in my spine:)

As long as you follow the Official Words of the Customs for each country you are concerned about. Just do a Google Search for something like: "US Customs rules for Airline traveling with medicines ." I'd suggest printing the info from the Official web Site(s) just in case you are stopped and.

Joanie

Archived