Settle this Argument for us.... To wear Jeans or not

lawgirl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Boy

I say leave the jeans at home. Celebrity has a dress code so why not adhere to it? It would never occur to me to wear jean in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. Maybe you should consider sailing on a line that has lesser standards.

OK, NOW I am going to BEG DH to wear jeans! And i may wear them too!! i just wanted him to look nice.... Didn't think him wearing jeans would mean people would "assume we are poor" or that we should sail on a line with "lesser standards." If someone is on a cruise, who cares what they earn or how they afforded Celebrity?? Why can't they be on Celebrity and enjoy themselves. I have seen plenty of wonderful respectful folks with not much in life and many millionaires with no class.

And for the record, our house is 10,000 square feet and we own 7 cars, no kids..No I am not exaggerating. And I am not bragging.... Just pointing out that you shouldn't make assumptions about "class" or "wealth" when you see a post OR someone on Celebrity wearing jeans. I wont be gauche enough to list our income, but I think we can probably scrape together the funds to cruise on Celebrity... Hopefully not with judgmental people.

I live in 1,200 square foot house and own 6 bicycles. And I'm not exaggerating either. And I know how to dress myself without asking a bunch of strangers & then getting offended and defensive when people shared with you their thoughts and opinions.

Enjoy your cruise. Wear what you want. And be aware your bedroom on the ship will most likely be much smaller than your one at home.

I live in 1,200 square foot house and own 6 bicycles. And I'm not exaggerating either. And I know how to dress myself without asking a bunch of strangers & then getting offended and defensive when people shared with you their thoughts and opinions.

Enjoy your cruise. Wear what you want. And be aware your bedroom on the ship will most likely be much smaller than your one at home.

You make an excellent point. I have not had much luck posting on CC and not getting replies that frustrate me, so I probably shouldn't post at all or should be less sensitive. And I truly wasn't trying to act superior.... The opposite.... I grew up with nothing and standing in lines for free food... so my point was that people shouldn't judge others and that people of all economic backgrounds should be able to cruise on any line they choose.

I really just started the post for fun, but guess I shouldn't have. Thank you and take care.

Don't feel bad for asking. I have to admit when I asked if I could wear my cover up to the morning breakfast at Blu I felt a bit judged. My coverups are DRESSES for gosh sake. The point of the question was could you wear casual dresses, men shorts, etc. or did you have to wear dressier stuff.

And now I've gone and done it again by asking if dh could change into shorts LATE at night.

And for those reading both posts, I am partially posting tongue in cheek. I realize I didn't do a great job of asking my question.

What's funny is that now a days, most of these scandalous jeans actually cost more than a pair of dress slacks. So for those people who compare "a cruise line with less standards" to being "cheaper" and therefore having less class....think again.

I have worn dressy jeans numerous occasions in the MDR on all nights, except formal. A nice pair of slim, dark colored jeans paired with heels, a dressy tank, and a blazer looks infinitely better and classier to me than a typical flower-patterned sun dress with a cardigan. Just because it's a "dress" doesn't make it nicer. My husband has worn a nice pair of jeans, paired with a plain T and a blazer or a button up with a blazer (no tie, of course)...practically the same outfit he wears to WORK on casual Fridays. I highly doubt his company has lower standards because of this.

Where's the scandal? If this is something that offends you, you've got to get your priorities in check.

Sounds very smart to me. In fact, it is just what I wear here in UK when going out for a meal. Add a string of pearls and you are almost formal.

Your outfits would have been very smart on our recent cruise on Constellation

I love to dress up especially on cruises.... Probably I overdress. BUT, DH is super casual. So tonight we argued over whether he can/should wear jeans in the MDR or specialty restaurants...I say his jeans (normal jeans, not dressy but not torn) are too casual. He says half the guys will be in jeans....

Thoughts? Also, does DH need a jacket or tie in specialty restaurants? Hope not.... As I can't seem to even get him out of jeans! At least I will be looking fab! LOL

My husband wears jeans with a nice shirt and sometimes a nice jacket. I think that he looks wonderfull that way, and even if I did not think that, I would let him wear whatever he wants because he is a big boy and can make his own decisions :).

To OP, where what you want, not what others think you should wear. Jeans threads usually cause some folks to go berzerk on CC:eek:

Here in CA many people do wear fancy jeans to upscale restaurants, not me, but it does happen, and I will say it is more the exception than the norm to see jean in the dining room on cruise ships. Just so that one looks presentable, that is all

That matters

Its simple, the clothes police need to start to except jeans or move on to another cruise line that does not except jeans and what not. Old dogs don't like change, but things change in time. Thats all it is. Time to except. Stop pointing out classes and worry about yourself. My jeans and the way I dress will never effect the way your food taste. If someone is so upset with the way people dress then they have bigger problems with themselves.

Enjoy your cruise with the hubby, jeans or not, Its a fantastic ship.. :)

I really just started the post for fun, but guess I shouldn't have. Thank you and take care.

Hi Lawgirl,

I think your comment sums things up perfectly. Unfortunately, few dress code threads ever end well.

As the question has been asked and answered... and answered... and answered :), it's now closed. Thanks for your understanding !

Archived