When to purchase travel insurance

3SDcruisers

When is the appropriate time to purchase travel insurance if there is a pre-existing medical condition involved? We have friends travelling and I want to make sure and give the right answers regarding this issue.

Thanks, in advance.

When is the appropriate time to purchase travel insurance if there is a pre-existing medical condition involved? We have friends travelling and I want to make sure and give the right answers regarding this issue.

Thanks, in advance.

Policies varry in terms of how and wheather or not they cover pre-existing conditions and you should examine the policies carefully. Many require that you purchase and pay for the insurance within 10 days of booking in order to cover pre-existing conditions. They may also require that you are fit to travel and have had your condition under control for a set period of time when you book the cruise. If you have an experienced TA that you can trust he or she can help you. You may also want to check out the "insure my trip" web site for comparison of policies. We have had experience with this type of claim and know that picking the right policy is critical. Princess insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.

We purchase insurance through one of the insurance companies as soon as we book the next cruise. It is our experience that we get much better coverage at less cost vs. purchasing insurance through the cruise company. A small investment for peace of mind.:)

Policies varry in terms of how and wheather or not they cover pre-existing conditions and you should examine the policies carefully. Many require that you purchase and pay for the insurance within 10 days of booking in order to cover pre-existing conditions.

Within 10 days is pretty standard. I always purchase the same day.

Thanks, in advance.

As soon as you have handed over any money, and please increase your font size. It's very small

I'd start by comparing policies through a website like InsureMyTrip or SquareMouth. Some policies do not cover pre-existing conditions at all; some cover if the policy is purchased within 10 days, 14 days, 15 days of booking your trip. Be sure to read the fine print about the pre-existing condition waivers, the booking dates and fully insuring the trip. (I read a horror story about someone who under-insured by a small amount and her claim was totally denied.)

I buy it thru Princess on final payment day (or just after). While I have never needed it...if I ever DID, I'd want to know the Princess medical center on the Gala deck would welcome me with open arms. Even if it's a bit more expensive, I wouldn't want to have any more anxiety around a medical emergency than is necessary.

I buy it thru Princess on final payment day (or just after). While I have never needed it...if I ever DID, I'd want to know the Princess medical center on the Gala deck would welcome me with open arms.

Whether you have the Princess policy, a third-party policy, or no policy at all the procedure is the same -- the cost of the treatment is put on your shipboard account and you have to get reimbursed when you get home. The ship's medical facility doesn't care if you have the Princess plan or not.

• 2 weeks later...

They usually give you about ten days but we always go to Insure My Trip right after booking and get our insurance right away. This helps us to not only have pre-existing conditions covered, it ensures we don't forget the insurance. It's a nice piece of mind to have for a small price.

Archived