Gluten Free - "Assigned" seating?

Blondie008

I know NCL are Freestyle - and love the concept - but wondered, is it possible to actually arrange with the Maitre D'he to have the same table or even waiting station each night (aside from when we choose to dine in alternatives). Having the same waiting team eleviates the whole "having to explain Im GF etc) - Different lines and have different policies for GF.

I absolutely will not pre order the day before. Not an option. I have no idea what I fancy for eating 24 hours later..

I am assuming though that NCL like most lines now have a seperate GF menu for the MDR?

Any GF experiences?

Many thanks - oh we are sailing on Epic.

We cruised on the Sky 3 years ago and my best friend had notified NCL ahead of time. She had no issues what so ever. We did not have the same wait staff every night BUT the Maitre D'he came over each night and went over the menu with her and placed her order himself. He became our best friend. LOL And if I recall she also had a letter stating her needs that she could carry with her.

We cruised on the Sky 3 years ago and my best friend had notified NCL ahead of time. She had no issues what so ever. We did not have the same wait staff every night BUT the Maitre D'he came over each night and went over the menu with her and placed her order himself. He became our best friend. LOL And if I recall she also had a letter stating her needs that she could carry with her.

Thank you! Thats great to know. I gave NCL my GF status at time of booking. I just cant be bothered with a lot of fuss. I am more intolerant than fully coeliac - so tend to know what I can and cannot eat. But good to know NCL clearly have a hold on it. Great thankyou so much!

Absolutely... my daughter is gluten free and we had the same waiter staff. The Matre'D always checked on us. They would even find us during the day and ask where we where going to eat that night to make sure they had food prepared for her. They would even make her special deserts that other passengers wanted. lol . You will find NCL does an exceptional job with providing for gluten free diets. Just make sure you let them know in advance. No worries !

We don't have any diet restrictions but if we find staff we like, we always ask to be put back in their section. It's never a problem. If you want the exact same table that could be sort of a p.i.t.a. for the staff but the same section / staff is very easy to accommodate.

Thank you! Thats great to know. I gave NCL my GF status at time of booking. I just cant be bothered with a lot of fuss. I am more intolerant than fully coeliac - so tend to know what I can and cannot eat. But good to know NCL clearly have a hold on it. Great thankyou so much!

Make sure whoever you booked it through does have it on the reservations. Also you should be contacted by the NCL access desk closer to your arrival to verify your dietary needs. They had told me last time to allow plenty of time so they could make sure they had time to order the gluten free selections and have them on board for your sailing. They do have some stuff always on hand, some has to be brought on board. (Although this may have changed since Gluten is becoming a more common allergy.)

If you aren't contacted, definitely call NCL before your 45 day mark and they will hook you up! Happy travels!!!

Thanks - we are from Scotland so use NCL Uk - It is on my booking - but will check with them again at final payment date (ours differs from US ). NOt travelling for a LONG time yet :o

Experiences with GF on other lines have been fab so far - in fact, cruise ships seem to make better provisions than a lot of resorts and restaurants. LOVE That I get to eat dessert and its not just "icecream"!

Many thanks again

I just cant be bothered with a lot of fuss.

Not to sound like a smart-a** but what is the issue with "can't be bothered.." or "won't do that..."?

Unfortunately, when someone needs something different that comes with the territory. At least that's what I plan for.

Slightly different problem but along the same lines. My other half is 'Garlic' intolerant...as in 'totally'. Out last cruises have been with NCL (Sun & Spirit) and all that was required is that she let the The Matre'D know on our first day aboard. That first meal in the MDR was prepared specially for her and all she did was indicate on the following days menu (did not matter what MDR we chose to dine in on the day) her selection and provide the State Room number. Worked really well, including the Speciality dinning. Only area to be careful was in the Buffet setting, when she always checked with staff. No hitches at all and the The Matre'D constantly checked. Incidentally, was same with HAL a couple of years back. Indicating any food allergies when booking sets things up, a letter waiting us in out stateroom when we first boarded with instructions. 10/10 for us!

Not to be contrary but I've been GF on NCL for 12 years and I think from my personal experiences that by refusing to give the chef advanced notice you are severly limiting your options. I have always ordered anything from the regular menu the night before including sauces, gravies etc. that may come with the non GF version of the meal. The extra notice gives the chef time to make me a safe version of that sauce, gracy etc. Just showing up and ordering will either severly limit your options or cause your dining time to be greatly extended.

It's your vacation and you can do whatever you choose however I wanted you to have this perspective as well. I hope you enjoy GF dining on NCL.

-Ginger

My understanding is that certain foods will always be in stock - breads, pancakes, etc.

If you order for the next day on the day before, they will be able to prepare different items for you that they would otherwise not be equipped to offer you. They don't prepare "alternate" versions of meals on the off-chance that someone who is GF will order them.

Therefore, by refusing to order in advance, you are likely limiting yourself to the same options each day.

Not to be contrary but I've been GF on NCL for 12 years and I think from my personal experiences that by refusing to give the chef advanced notice you are severly limiting your options. I have always ordered anything from the regular menu the night before including sauces, gravies etc. that may come with the non GF version of the meal. The extra notice gives the chef time to make me a safe version of that sauce, gracy etc. Just showing up and ordering will either severly limit your options or cause your dining time to be greatly extended.

It's your vacation and you can do whatever you choose however I wanted you to have this perspective as well. I hope you enjoy GF dining on NCL.

-Ginger

I would agree 100%. One of the main reasons we cruise so much rather than resorts etc, is because my wife's food allergy difficulty is catered for so very well. My wife gets very ill, very quickly if she inadvertently consumes garlic so the minor inconvenience of her deciding on her selection from the next days menu is a 'no brainer', and allows us to enjoy our cruise...and the meals worry free!

-Ginger

Dd has celiac, and there is NOT a gluten free menu. We met with someone the night before, and came up with meals for her (which she loved). If we just happened into a restaurant, they could tell us what items were naturally gluten free, and I'm sure they could've whipped up something on the spot (grilled chicken, rice, veggie).

I have been Gluten Free on 4 NCL cruises and had no issues. Each night I looked at the menu for the next night and decided if I wanted anything on it. If not, many suggestions were forthcoming. I was given Gluten Free pasta in the Italian specialty resturant and the best GF Pizza ever on the Jade.

They swipped my room card everywhere and knew exactly what I needed, even brought GF snacks when we were in a suite.

I always used the buffet for fruits and other items, made sure I asked the staff to help me out.

Never felt deprived or hungry, NCL staff was always attentive.

Lynda

Not to sound like a smart-a** but what is the issue with "can't be bothered.." or "won't do that..."?

Unfortunately, when someone needs something different that comes with the territory. At least that's what I plan for.

What I mean is I dont want to create any fuss - I like to cause as little inconvenience as possible. I am laughing as I was trying to be polite - in reaility Id say "ah cannae bae bothert makin ony fuss" :)

Okay - so there is not an actual GF menu then??? Did I pick that up right? I can only go by what I have experience on other cruises where I was given my own menu at night, and also at lunch in the mdr? Do Norwegian not offer its own GF menu each night then?

Its wont be a problem for me - am sure I can eat deliciously - but no actual GF menu? Is that correct?

My understanding is that certain foods will always be in stock - breads, pancakes, etc.

If you order for the next day on the day before, they will be able to prepare different items for you that they would otherwise not be equipped to offer you. They don't prepare "alternate" versions of meals on the off-chance that someone who is GF will order them.

Therefore, by refusing to order in advance, you are likely limiting yourself to the same options each day.

Goodness! hmmmm NCL are behind then in the GF stakes - I am sure I will be fine by choosing my own food as I do at restaurants at home. Thanks for the info.

What I mean is I dont want to create any fuss - I like to cause as little inconvenience as possible. I am laughing as I was trying to be polite - in reaility Id say "ah cannae bae bothert makin ony fuss" :)

Gotcha. Again, I did not mean the post to be one of those.....

Thanks and have a great day, Randy

Gotcha. Again, I did not mean the post to be one of those.....

Thanks and have a great day, Randy

NP - reading some of my remarks I think I sound like im a PITA but - as much as I am GF and love when GF is available - if it means a lot of fuss - then I will take my name off the GF and just eat sensibly as I go. On one of the cannival cruises - yes - they were fantastic - but sometimes I felt as if it was all a bit OTT - and one MaireD'he started calling the room constantly " is everyting ok with our gf etc etc etc" - sometimes the best way, is to get the same station area each night, and work with a couple of waiters, rather than creating a fuss. Reading between the lines - although NCL dont have a specific menu - looks like they cater very well -

Cant wait to find out!

On Costa - they go WAY OTT - on their mass ship that is - their MDR at lunch time I had to eat in the empty restaurant on seperate tables and area from all diners. All marked GF. I thought it was a bt OTT - its not like an allergy which is dangerous like peanut etc. Also, I was told I could NOT - even by my own risk - dine in their speciality restaurant as they could not cater for me there and would not allow me to eat there..

Costas other ship - NeoRomantica was fabulous - the best GF food and sevrice have had.

So - looks like NCL have their own form - and it looks pretty relaxed then huh -

Great - am sure I will be fine :)

Many thanks .

NP - reading some of my remarks I think I sound like im a PITA but - as much as I am GF and love when GF is available - if it means a lot of fuss - then I will take my name off the GF and just eat sensibly as I go. On one of the cannival cruises - yes - they were fantastic - but sometimes I felt as if it was all a bit OTT - and one MaireD'he started calling the room constantly " is everyting ok with our gf etc etc etc" - sometimes the best way, is to get the same station area each night, and work with a couple of waiters, rather than creating a fuss. Reading between the lines - although NCL dont have a specific menu - looks like they cater very well -

Cant wait to find out!

On Costa - they go WAY OTT - on their mass ship that is - their MDR at lunch time I had to eat in the empty restaurant on seperate tables and area from all diners. All marked GF. I thought it was a bt OTT - its not like an allergy which is dangerous like peanut etc. Also, I was told I could NOT - even by my own risk - dine in their speciality restaurant as they could not cater for me there and would not allow me to eat there..

Costas other ship - NeoRomantica was fabulous - the best GF food and sevrice have had.

So - looks like NCL have their own form - and it looks pretty relaxed then huh -

Great - am sure I will be fine :)

Many thanks .

A true wheat allergy can cause anaphylactic shock and is as deadly as any other food allergy. That's why they take it so seriously.

-Ginger

I agree Ginger. I have an allergy to alcohol, and cannot even have it cooked in a sauce. I always preorder my meal the night before. Yes it can be a pain as I may not know what I want at that time, but have never had an issue.

Any way enjoy your vacation. :)

Dd has celiac, and there is NOT a gluten free menu. We met with someone the night before, and came up with meals for her (which she loved). If we just happened into a restaurant, they could tell us what items were naturally gluten free, and I'm sure they could've whipped up something on the spot (grilled chicken, rice, veggie).

I am also a celiac. I never said there was a gf menu.

Okay - so there is not an actual GF menu then??? Did I pick that up right? I can only go by what I have experience on other cruises where I was given my own menu at night, and also at lunch in the mdr? Do Norwegian not offer its own GF menu each night then?

Its wont be a problem for me - am sure I can eat deliciously - but no actual GF menu? Is that correct?

There is no separate gf menu. You look at the same menu everyone else does and decide what you would like. For example on the last few cruises I have ordered the chicken from the always available menu and because I order the night before they have enough advanced notice to whip up a gf gravy. Just like the gluten counterpart. :D

I find that they are willing to make you pretty much anything that is on that regular menu as long as you give them the time to make it.

You will def. NOT go hungry. They also have bread, english muffins, burger buns, pasta and pizza crusts. They use Kinnikinnick products. The pizza is especially good. The pasta is corn based and is also excellent.

Have you gone on a cruise line that has an actual separate gf menu?

Archived