Gluten Free - "Assigned" seating?

Blondie008

I am wondering about the preparation and possible contamination. It's not enough that the item itself does not contain gluten. The food can not come in contact with anything used to prepare meals with gluten (countertops, knives, etc.).

We will be traveling with someone who requires strict gluten-free preparation.

Does anyone if NCL is careful about this?

I am wondering about the preparation and possible contamination. It's not enough that the item itself does not contain gluten. The food can not come in contact with anything used to prepare meals with gluten (countertops, knives, etc.).

See the last post in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1767407

Make sure the person in question takes any necessary precautions (carrying an EpiPen, etc) in the event of a mishap. A lot of people cry wolf these days and use "I have an allergy" to mean "I don't like tomatoes" or "I might be gluten intolerant because Zooey Deschanel said so" and therefore unfortunately a severe allergy is not always taken as seriously as it should be. I'm sure NCL tries their best but they're not infallible.

A true wheat allergy can cause anaphylactic shock and is as deadly as any other food allergy. That's why they take it so seriously.

Wow - I have never know anyone Coeliac to have an actual anaphylactic shock - didnt realise it. I am intolerant, ie, sick, pains, double up pain etc. Strangely enough though - I have had an anaphylatic shock - emergency treated - was scarey stuff - and to this day still dont know what caused it. I have been tested for all the obiovus and all came back clear. We know its something in thai style food - but havent worked out yet which ingredient - I do carry an epi pen. Just didnt realise though that a wheat allergy could cause as bad a reaction..

hmmm - has me thinking now - could it have been that....

Costa have seperate kitchens for GF - thats why I guess I was a bit surprised that NCL dont seem to have their own menu...odd...

There is no separate gf menu. You look at the same menu everyone else does and decide what you would like. For example on the last few cruises I have ordered the chicken from the always available menu and because I order the night before they have enough advanced notice to whip up a gf gravy. Just like the gluten counterpart. :D

I find that they are willing to make you pretty much anything that is on that regular menu as long as you give them the time to make it.

You will def. NOT go hungry. They also have bread, english muffins, burger buns, pasta and pizza crusts. They use Kinnikinnick products. The pizza is especially good. The pasta is corn based and is also excellent.

Have you gone on a cruise line that has an actual separate gf menu?

Yes, both Carnvial and Costa had their own menus. Costa (believe it or not!) were the most diligent. At lunch - there was a whole different section for dining in the MDR - and I was not allowed (even at my own risk) to dine in the speciality a la carte restaurant.

Carnival - I dined at the same station every night on their "anytime"..actually - come to think of it - I am unsure if it was a seperate menu or whether everyting was just marked "GF option".. had four cruises last year so get muddled up.

But Costa for sure - way ahead in the GF stakes. They made amazing GF pasta (being Italian of course) and I had an entire menu - I also had yummy gf hot garlic bread with balsamic on the table every night and little appetizers. My menu was amazing...

I am intolerant as I say, not allergic, worst case is a night in bed with agonising tummy - (not what I want on holiday).

I think I have the just on what NCL do ..

thanks everyone for their input.

Wow - I have never know anyone Coeliac to have an actual anaphylactic shock - didnt realise it. I am intolerant, ie, sick, pains, double up pain etc. Strangely enough though - I have had an anaphylatic shock - emergency treated - was scarey stuff - and to this day still dont know what caused it. I have been tested for all the obiovus and all came back clear. We know its something in thai style food - but havent worked out yet which ingredient - I do carry an epi pen. Just didnt realise though that a wheat allergy could cause as bad a reaction..

hmmm - has me thinking now - could it have been that....

I think that is wrong, a good friend has celiac and its not an allergy it is an autoimmune disease.

Big difference

PS - Just asked my husband he says on Carnival - I was given the menu every night with GF items marked with a highlighter pen (his memory is better than mine that is absolutely correct).

On Costa - yes, full GF menu given every night and seperate MDR lunch stations and they have a seperate GF kitchen.

I think that is wrong, a good friend has celiac and its not an allergy it is an autoimmune disease.

Big difference

Thanks. Yeah, I believe mine is def in some kind of thai cookery, been tested for all the oils and nuts, now I am thinking its in some food colouring... I avoid all thai food now and in any asian restaurant eat only what I know I can. I never try anything new "just in case". Looking back I had a couple of warnings but didnt recognise them, ie, swollen eyes, puffy lips - I had a fulll blown reaction - very scarey indeed - I carry my epipen now on vacation and avoid any "unknown" foods.

DW and I just got off a 9 day cruise on the Gem yesterday. DW is gluten intolerant and has 4 other food allergies.

On the Gem there was a special diet coordinator who met with my wife during our first visit to the main dining room to learn of her needs. Typically during each evening meal he would bring her the next day's menu so she could select what she wanted and coordinator would then work with the chef to make it happen. Also, when we arrived at the main dining room each evening, he would be called so he could meet with our waiter/waitress to confirm her allergies with them. He made arrangements for them to fix steamed vegetables for her for breakfast and he was there to confirm things when she sat down for breakfast. He also made the advance arrangements at the specialty restaurant we went to for one meal.

The coordinator also gave my wife his 24 hour per day phone number to call to assist her with her meal selections at any time.

In the Buffet, there was always a chef in the area that my wife could have her questions answered.

In a nutshell (fortunately she is not allergic to nuts) the service she received on the Gem was the best accommodation of her allergies she has ever experienced outside of our home.

DW and I just got off a 9 day cruise on the Gem yesterday. DW is gluten intolerant and has 4 other food allergies.

On the Gem there was a special diet coordinator who met with my wife during our first visit to the main dining room to learn of her needs. Typically during each evening meal he would bring her the next day's menu so she could select what she wanted and coordinator would then work with the chef to make it happen. Also, when we arrived at the main dining room each evening, he would be called so he could meet with our waiter/waitress to confirm her allergies with them. He made arrangements for them to fix steamed vegetables for her for breakfast and he was there to confirm things when she sat down for breakfast. He also made the advance arrangements at the specialty restaurant we went to for one meal.

The coordinator also gave my wife his 24 hour per day phone number to call to assist her with her meal selections at any time.

In the Buffet, there was always a chef in the area that my wife could have her questions answered.

In a nutshell (fortunately she is not allergic to nuts) the service she received on the Gem was the best accommodation of her allergies she has ever experienced outside of our home.

Thanks for letting us know about the attention to detail they give! And i do know how hard out can be to have just one food allergy, let alone several.

Kudos to ncl.

Archived