Any Tips/Suggestions For Regatta ??

curtdesilets

We are doing our first cruise on Oceania this summer on Regatta. I realize the staterooms are quite small, so we intend on being out in the public areas more often than the room. I'm hoping some of you veterans can help me out.

Here are a few of my curiosities:

1) Any ideas where we should hang out? Best Bars, etc?

2) Best places for nature/wildlife viewing at the Glacier or Inside Passage?

3) Booking Specialty Restaurants? Should we do it online when as soon as we get the "go"? Are there days that the MDR shouldn't be missed? We enjoy early dining. also, if you fail to make a reservation, can you be wait listed?

4) Where do you get "early morning" coffee?

5) When does the gym, sauna, pool open?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

We are doing our first cruise on Oceania this summer on Regatta. I realize the staterooms are quite small, so we intend on being out in the public areas more often than the room. I'm hoping some of you veterans can help me out.

1) Any ideas where we should hang out? Best Bars, etc? Horizons, Waves Bar or Martinis

On deck, rent a Cabana or Horizons

3) Booking Specialty Restaurants? Should we do it online when as soon as we get the "go"? YES but not required

Are there days that the MDR shouldn't be missed? only if there is something on the menu you really want to try

We enjoy early dining. also, if you fail to make a reservation, can you be wait listed? You can always ask in the morning if they have openings

4) Where do you get "early morning" coffee? room service, Horizons, the Terrace self serve station

Hope that helps

Lyn

It seems that you are picturing a much larger ship. There really are only three bars on the Regatta. Martini's, usually the most popular is so heavily curtained as to be almost an inside space, Waves is poolside (thus outside) and closes fairly early. Horizons, being the Observation Lounge, will undoubtedly be the most popular in Alaska, although experienced elbow benders may prefer Martini's.

Best places for nature/wildlife viewing at the Glacier or Inside Passage?
Deck 10 around the Pool perimeter if the weather is nice or in Horizons if it rains. A few brave souls will trek up to Deck 11 (although there are no elevators or bathrooms up there), and those who are serious about their sightseeing will rent a Cabana
Booking Specialty Restaurants? Should we do it online when as soon as we get the "go"?
Most people will, as the sole advantage of not booking ahead is spontaneity (and you cannot BE truly spontaneous if all of the options are not open to you). Do book early.
Are there days that the MDR shouldn't be missed?

Oceania does not do Theme nights in the Grand Dining room, so there isn't any of that "If this is Thursday, that must be lobster", nonsense. Menu's are posted in the foyer outside the dining room each morning.

We enjoy early dining. also, if you fail to make a reservation, can you be wait listed?
If you enjoy eating at a particular hour, or insist on a particular table size, that is another reason to make Restaurant reservations as early as possible. Oceania does not wait-list for the Specialty Restaurants, but the Grand Dining Room and Terrace Cafe are always open seating.
Where do you get "early morning" coffee?
Room service is probably the best alternative, but if you check out the 5AM coffee and danish bar in Horizons, you may meet an Officer or two. The Terrace Cafe also has a coffee machine running virtually 24/7.

4) Where do you get "early morning" coffee? :)

I echo JIMandStan (AKA StanandJIM) !Room service!

Two warnings: order two pots and have have your bathrobe on before you call. It never took more than 4 minutes from the time we hung up the phone until the wait staff showed up. Well worth the 1 euro tip to sip coffee on your balcony and the ship pulls into port...heaven!!:p

I was on Regatta last October and will be on again for Alaska in May.

The MDR menu was delivered every afternoon to my room as part of the daily newsletter. I assume the menu is delivered to all rooms, but I could be wrong.

I had no problem dining at 6:30 in the MDR, specialty restaurants, or buffet. The specialty restaurants were not full on the days I was there @6:30, so you may be able to reserve for that time without problems once you're onboard. However, I would advise make specialty dining reservations as soon as they open online.

You can arrive anytime at the MDR, no reservations. You'll be asked if you want to share a table or whether you prefer a table of your own. You are not assigned a table for the entire cruise. Sharing a different table every day is a great way to meet new people!

The MDR menus are being refreshed across the Oceania fleet; I'm hoping the new menus will be available on the Regatta in time for our trips. Not that there was anything wrong with the previous menus!

Don't overlook the buffet at dinner, especially if you like sushi, or if you want to taste a little of everything. The food is every bit as good as the MDR. You are served at stations; it's not self-serve. It is self-seating, though.

Deck 11 is the best place to see vistas.

3) Booking Specialty Restaurants? Should we do it online when as soon as we get the "go"? Are there days that the MDR shouldn't be missed? We enjoy early dining. also, if you fail to make a reservation, can you be wait listed?

4) Where do you get "early morning" coffee?

5) When does the gym, sauna, pool open?

We found the outside deck on deck 5 was great for viewing the scenery and wildlife.Also Martini bar and wash rooms handy.

Bill

It seems that you are picturing a much larger ship. There really are only three bars on the Regatta. Martini's, usually the most popular is so heavily curtained as to be almost an inside space, Waves is poolside (thus outside) and closes fairly early. Horizons, being the Observation Lounge, will undoubtedly be the most popular in Alaska, although experienced elbow benders may prefer Martini's.

Deck 10 around the Pool perimeter if the weather is nice or in Horizons if it rains. A few brave souls will trek up to Deck 11 (although there are no elevators or bathrooms up there), and those who are serious about their sightseeing will rent a Cabana

Most people will, as the sole advantage of not booking ahead is spontaneity (and you cannot BE truly spontaneous if all of the options are not open to you). Do book early.

Oceania does not do Theme nights in the Grand Dining room, so there isn't any of that "If this is Thursday, that must be lobster", nonsense. Menu's are posted in the foyer outside the dining room each morning.

If you enjoy eating at a particular hour, or insist on a particular table size, that is another reason to make Restaurant reservations as early as possible. Oceania does not wait-list for the Specialty Restaurants, but the Grand Dining Room and Terrace Cafe are always open seating.

Room service is probably the best alternative, but if you check out the 5AM coffee and danish bar in Horizons, you may meet an Officer or two. The Terrace Cafe also has a coffee machine running virtually 24/7.

Thanks for the pointers.

Wow, OP, I see you've taken a LOT of cruises in Alaska. May I ask which was your favorite so far?

We do like the Inside Passage a lot (the real one that goes from Vancouver through the narrow channels). Hubbard Glacier is always a treat. Not so keen on Ketchikan, but Juneau offers a lot to do, especially the whale watching.

Can't really say we have a favorite spot, but Celebrity is our favorite line up there.

We'll have to see how it compares to Oceania, who I believe is relatively new to the Alaska scene.

Archived