Bali, Port of Benoa

sandiefran

Benoa, Bali, Indonesia. Tender port for larger ships. Indonesian government charge everyone $US25 for visa- this is a 30 day visa - even if you do not get off the ship.

The correct price should be $US10 which is for a 7 day visa - no ship stays more that one night 2 days.

We were on the Celebrity Solstice whic had to tender, whilst a Holland America ship was docked.

The authorities were very difficult and we were not able to disembark until after lunch on the first day.

The Australian Customs officials (to process passengers prior to arrival in Darwin) said that they had also found the Indonesian officials very difficult.

Many tours were offered here.

The much cheaper way is to get off the ship and negotiate with one of the many, many guides outside the port. Expect to pay about $US60 per car seating 4 people for a day trip.

Both Australian and US dollars are acceptable, but rupiah is needed for incidentails - drinks and snacks.

The port building has free WiFi.

The 7 day visa for $10USD is no longer in use. It was abandoned around 5 years ago.

All visitors from listed countries pay $25USD for a thirty day visa no matter the length of stay.

Citizens from Malaysia and Eastern Islamic countries do not pay.

Certain countries are not on the VOA list and have to arrange a visa from the nearest Indonesian consulate. Not certain of which countries/passports are affected. I do know Ireland used to be on the list as a neighbour was refused boarding at the airport due to travelling on an Irish passport even though she had residency in Australia. Ireland is now on the VOA list.

cheers

We just did Beno Bali (Celebrity Millennium)

- tendered (see my tendering video - link below).

I would expect that tendering is the only posibility for bigger ships at Benoa.

Visa was taken care of by the cruise line - I beleive we paid US$ 10 and going ashore was easy - apart for some problems with local tender boats.

Link to

We were on that docked HAL ship ms Rotterdam that day and had absolutely no problems to get ashore. The ship stayed overnight in Benoa. Apart from Bali we cruised to various other indonesian ports, where we often pre arranged a private driver. That also worked great.

Visa arranged by HAL costed US$ 50,- per person.

• 2 years later...

We boarded The Azamara Quest in Bali Feb. 2015. It was my worst boarding ever out of 30 cruises -- just a storm of not well trained agents and a whole bunch of mistakes because of pre cruise jaunts to Yogyaakarta and Taipei so I did not have the "right" pieces of paper to board. I think you will not have as many problems as I did -- I surely hope not. AZ really couldn't help much as I was still not on the ship. I did not have a boarding pass printed though I was checked in. Standing in the tent on a hot day, the agents just had no idea of what they could do since I did not have the paper for rapid check-in. Make sure you have checked in on-line AND have the piece of paper to show. There is no one there who has done the procedure before it seems -- they had no computer and they would not take the reservation and check in on my I phone as proof. I was in tears. Don't worry all the dire thinks I thought -- they did let me on the ship (one of the bar attendants Bless Her went on ship and got an officer to come tell them I could board!) THEN since I did not speak the local language and had been in the country for 4 flights and 8 days on land and had mistakenly given someone my landing pass I didn't have that paper either! OH MY

Well no local official ever came to interview me before we sailed at 5 PM.

Bali is so beautiful -- especially out of the tourist areas. Very inexpensive if you travel with a guide to the regions beyond the beaches. Wonderful photo opportunities -- we hired Dean of Bali a photographer of great skill as our guide and we were so pleased. Traffic is horrible -- and where there is not lots of traffic there are not so many roads -- leave enough time. My biggest piece of advice is to leave time to enjoy the resort. We were traveling around and had so many "activities " to do -- we really did not get to enjoy the most beautiful resort in paradise. (We did this too on safari where we chased animals all day and then fell in the bed exhausted without even looking at the spectacular grounds) Leave at least one just lazy day by the pool and gardens of your resort.

Have a spectacular trip. Trying to figure out a way to get to Bali again -- It is wonderful.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

We bought our visa in the airport. Bought it in local currency which I think was less than $12. Don't give that piece of paper to anyone else but at the ship. Domestic flight do not give up your visa proof -- just like a ticket stub for exit from Indonesia.

Thread is 3 years old.

Yep and I had noticed that the OP was a first time poster and probably trying to start a guide business. Well I did enjoy thinking about Bali again. Such a wonderful place to visit. Trouble with internet is what goes around keeps going and going and going and .... Safe travels.