Denali to Palmer driving time

brainerdgal

We're considering a Knik Glacier excursion in Palmer on Labor Day. The excursion starts at 2 p.m. and we'd be driving from Denali.

If we left Denali by about 8 a.m., is it reasonable to think we'll arrive in Palmer around 1 p.m.? Or should we plan on a much earlier start from Denali?

You can check this out as well as any other driving time issues on Google Maps. I use Google Maps all the time for this. You can also use Google Maps to determine which of several alternative routes will take less time and often the shorter route is not the faster route - although this will not be a factor in AK as there is almost always 1 route between point A and point B.

Just bear in mind that the travel time estimates are based on no construction holdups and reasonable driving speeds and you can not adjust the driving speed. If you get stuck behind a bunch of RVs in AK, it can play havoc with your average speed. Also, they do not include stopping times to see stuff. They are very useful however.

DON

Thanks, Don! I actually did check Google Maps, and it says 4 hours, 12 minutes from Healy (where we'll be staying). I should have clarified, but I wanted to keep my question simple! :o

What I don't know about Google Maps is whether they calculate the time based on local speed limits, or they just assume 65-70 mph. And I'm sure the time is based on driving time, not allowing for stops of any kind. Also I don't know how heavy the traffic is likely to be on Labor Day, or if there will be any change that day from normal.

I'm a little hesitant to book the excursion and have to be under pressure to make a deadline. That will be our last full day in Alaska, and I'd like it to be relaxing. On the other hand, the excursion does sound great.

Would love more input from anyone!

Thanks, Don! I actually did check Google Maps, and it says 4 hours, 12 minutes from Healy (where we'll be staying). I should have clarified, but I wanted to keep my question simple! :o

What I don't know about Google Maps is whether they calculate the time based on local speed limits, or they just assume 65-70 mph. And I'm sure the time is based on driving time, not allowing for stops of any kind. Also I don't know how heavy the traffic is likely to be on Labor Day, or if there will be any change that day from normal.

I'm a little hesitant to book the excursion and have to be under pressure to make a deadline. That will be our last full day in Alaska, and I'd like it to be relaxing. On the other hand, the excursion does sound great.

Would love more input from anyone!

Just done a similar route on Google Maps myself, and they seem to be assuming a 55mph average (or 53.35 to be exact!), which considering the speed limit for much of the Parks Highway seems to be 65 (from what I've read anyway), means they must be allowing for some delays due to traffic, although not a massive amount. However, as you say, it definitely does not add on extra time for stops along the way!

I find "google maps" for Alaska to have a lot to be desired. They frequently underestimate time. THE MILEPOST is far superior.

I am assuming you will be initially driving from Anchorage? You need to be aware of the construction- so keep track of what you run into. There is also a website with the details that is very accurate.

You also can never, just take a look at miles, and figure 65mph (this is a common thought). You really need to be conservative and figure, maybe 45. Believe me- IF McKinley is visible- you can spend an hour looking at it, a moose in a field? going to want to pull over aren't you?

I see so many times, comments claiming they are "used" to long drives etc. all well and good, but marathon trips in Alaska are missing half the adventure. :)

Going south from Healy I would plan on construction delays and be thrilled if none slowed my pace.

However, one road accident can put driving to a complete stop. Find out what the cancellation terms are for your tour or if you have a 100% loss if you get stuck on the road.

Archived