Worried about not using ship sponsored tours

jrewing007

Both that train and the Katakolon Express coach are a bit hit & miss. I don't know the reasons (possibly out on a limb & without nearby back-up in case of mechanical issues) but they have a reputation of their own & aren't typical of European transport.

But I can understand why that didn't give you confidence

JB :)

Not a problem if the train isn't running from the port. More of a problem if it stops runnin from Olympia back to the port. We had only heard of cruise critic on that cruise, our first one together. Now we try and do our research using cruise critic and trip advisor before we go on cruises now. Hopefully we will be as prepared as we can be in any port that is more challenging than just getting of the ship and having most of the sites within walking distance or a short shuttle ride in.:)

JD

When DH and I first started cruising the Med together, I had never heard of Cruise Critic and had never read threads like these about people worrying about missing the ship--so I never thought about it!!! We blithely went on our way, renting cars in lots of ports and setting out on our own. We knew we had a time to be back and planned for it, but not in a troubled way.

We still DIY everywhere (after one awful ship excursion in Florence:eek: when we swore off them for life) but I worry more now!

Our method is to be among the first off the ship, as early as we can, but we are back well before the final cutoff. We have taken the train into Rome and Florence many times, but have never come close to being late. Usually we wear ourselves out pounding the pavement and are grateful to be back on board with a refreshing drink! I always cut out the little part of the Daily that names the ship's agent in each port, so that if there were any problem, I would at least know who to contact. That's my concession to DIY!

JD, I posted what I did because you made it clear you are worried about missing the ship. Any advice we could give on DIY will not totally alleviate your concerns. DIYers like ourselves simply put those concerns our of our mind but do also think about the ole "Plan B" which is what to do in the case of the worst case scenario. For example, we will be cognizant of the next port and how difficult it would be to catch-up to the ship. If its relatively easy to catch the ship (such as from Civitavecchia to Monte Carlo) then we would not worry too much about our day. If the ship is at sea the next day or its not easy to catch the ship then we are a bit more cautious in our approach. In those cases we would always go to our furthest point early in the day (always a good idea) and then work our way back to the port so we are in the vicinity of the port with time to spare. If we are in a place like Rome, where the port is about an hour from the city, we would plan on a train to get us back about 1 to 1/2 hours early. If there happened to be something wrong with the train (strike, breakdown, etc) we would simply grab a taxi and pay the 120 -250 Euros. The key to minimizing any worry is having that Plan B.

Another helpful thing is to always have the name and phone number of the ship's Agent (they give this to you on the ship). We often ask Guest Relations if they have a cell number at the ship (sometimes yes and sometimes no) and carry a cell phone that works anywhere in the world. If we know we would miss the ship we would immediately contact the Agent and/or ship.

Hank

When DH and I first started cruising the Med together, I had never heard of Cruise Critic and had never read threads like these about people worrying about missing the ship--so I never thought about it!!! We blithely went on our way, renting cars in lots of ports and setting out on our own. We knew we had a time to be back and planned for it, but not in a troubled way.

We still DIY everywhere (after one awful ship excursion in Florence:eek: when we swore off them for life) but I worry more now!

Our method is to be among the first off the ship, as early as we can, but we are back well before the final cutoff. We have taken the train into Rome and Florence many times, but have never come close to being late. Usually we wear ourselves out pounding the pavement and are grateful to be back on board with a refreshing drink! I always cut out the little part of the Daily that names the ship's agent in each port, so that if there were any problem, I would at least know who to contact. That's my concession to DIY!

Well said Cathy, we love adventure and I am soaking in all the posts and will read other threads that may pertain to our port stops. The guys here on cruise critic are so helpful. One day I hope to be an expert in most of these ports, but we usually like to take cruises where we are porting into a place that is new for us.:)

My DH and I are DIYers, but share the little thread of anxiety of doing things ourselves and missing the ship. I have traveled in many big cities in Europe and have to admit that I found Rome the least easy to navigate as an individual. It seems that the tour guide industry doesn't make it that easy despite all the maps. I was surprised at how many intersections are missing any type of signage as to the street name. We found most of our help from fellow tourists, rather than locals.

That said, we did find our way around with just a few turn backs. Personally, I would not go on the metro or a bus to the Vatican ever again. I'm only about 5'1" and was never more crowded in my life (besides standing eye level to men's armpits). I would take a taxi. Also, keep your valuables in inside pockets- read lots about that issue before you leave and you won't have to worry.

Here's another tip: replace your watch battery before each big trip (if you haven't done so in the last year.)

Once on a Caribbean cruise, I was wandering around the port shops after DH and the kids had already returned to the ship. I kept checking my watch, but I didn't realize that my watch had slowed down and wasn't keeping proper time. I would have noticed sooner if the watch had actually stopped. I didn't realize my watch had the wrong time until I was back in my cabin. It's a good thing I had gotten tired of walking around or I could have missed the ship. That night I bought a cheap watch from the cruise ship to get me through the rest of the trip.

To be sure, nothing is guaranteed. We all take a risk when we do DIY. It's just minimizing the risk if you are a DIYer. Total peace of mind= Ship tours. Do my homework with a back up plan if I'm doing it myself= DIY. I will continue to want to explore and save money the DIY way with a sprinkle of 3rd party vendors at ports where we don't really want to do the advanced planning needed. By the way, if anyone can recommend some reputable vendors at any of the ports we will be stopping at we would love to know.:)

Cheers,

JD

JD ~ I think you've just answered your question - you can easily do a combination of ship's tours/DIY/3rd party tours - all according tothe port and the challenges it presents!

I stumbled upon CC in 2008 while preparing for a Med trip - I was looking for information/directions for Pompeii. DH & I wanted to spend more time there than an hour - so wanted to DIY. God Bless Hank and John Bull and CruiseMom and lots of others for their fabulous advice we've been DIYing or using small group tours ever since.

However, in 2011 while planning our cruise (Amsterdam to Istanbul) Greece was in the mddle of taxi strikes. Having already seen Athens, we decided to be prudent and use the ship's tour to see Corinth - turned out to be fabulous!

As for independent small tours - most know the "power" of CC and would hate to find themselves posted with a negative review, especially having been late for a sailing! Looking (as you posted) for reviews here on CC will usually produce a list of good guides/tours that can be trusted. And using your roll call to fill up the remainding spaces helps in so many ways!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I just had to respond to this question. My husband and I almost always take the ship tours or tours from hotels we have stayed at in the U.S., Caribbean, and Spain, France, Italy cruise. Why? I am a retired teacher of English and social studies, and I have brought middle school kids on many class trips where I was as sharp as a tack, watching kids and explaining the sights. However, on my own vacations, I am bit of an air head. Yes, my husband and I get so caught up in the wonder of it all that we are usually the last ones to leave a museum and almost got stuck on Capri when we didn't have a ticket to take a ride down to the dock because we weren't listening at one point. Our guide found us and saved us. I glaze over, I pretend I am an ancient woman of Pompeii, I stare off into the distance while in the Coloseum and hear the sounds of gladiators, I imagine myself as Scarlet when visiting plantations in SC, and on and on. I cannot concentrate on finding my way around unless I have lots of time. My husband, a firefighter, is the same way. So I guess this all depends on your personality. I pay the higher price, not because I am scared to wander alone, but because I don't want to miss anything the guides have knowledge about and because I am a dreamer...

I just had to respond to this question. My husband and I almost always take the ship tours or tours from hotels we have stayed at in the U.S., Caribbean, and Spain, France, Italy cruise. Why? I am a retired teacher of English and social studies, and I have brought middle school kids on many class trips where I was as sharp as a tack, watching kids and explaining the sights. However, on my own vacations, I am bit of an air head. Yes, my husband and I get so caught up in the wonder of it all that we are usually the last ones to leave a museum and almost got stuck on Capri when we didn't have a ticket to take a ride down to the dock because we weren't listening at one point. Our guide found us and saved us. I glaze over, I pretend I am an ancient woman of Pompeii, I stare off into the distance while in the Coloseum and hear the sounds of gladiators, I imagine myself as Scarlet when visiting plantations in SC, and on and on. I cannot concentrate on finding my way around unless I have lots of time. My husband, a firefighter, is the same way. So I guess this all depends on your personality. I pay the higher price, not because I am scared to wander alone, but because I don't want to miss anything the guides have knowledge about and because I am a dreamer...
Enjoyed reading your perspective. Thanks for sharing your insight.

• 3 months later...
We DIY in Naples (Capri), Venice, Dubrovnik, La Spezia, and Corsica. We took ship excursions from Rome and Toulon.

Enjoy you cruise.

Could really get some insight on taking train from La Spezia to Florence. Have you did this? If so, can you provide me some detail about getting to the train station, frequency of trains, leeway on travel to get back in time. Anything that would help us DIY for family of 4 - this is the one that really is throwing me.. thanks - Dave in Houston

We prefer the safety of doing ships tours but prefer the 'on your own' ones. 2 years ago a strike in Rome meant it took 3 hours to get from the port into the centre of Rome.

Also when in Corsica there was an accident & our return coach was late getting back. The guide announced that she had informed the ship who because we were on a ships excursion would wait for us.

I have limited mobility so I'd rather have the comfort of knowing that by doing on your own tours I'm not holding anyone up but as long as I'm back at the right time for return journey it's the ships responsibility.

Could really get some insight on taking train from La Spezia to Florence. Have you did this? If so, can you provide me some detail about getting to the train station, frequency of trains, leeway on travel to get back in time. Anything that would help us DIY for family of 4 - this is the one that really is throwing me.. thanks - Dave in Houston

Dave, I recommend starting a new thread for this question. Use a descriptive subject and I'm sure people will help.

Are you sure you want to get back to Florence? If your question is regarding a cruise you're probably starting and returning to Livorno, not Florence.

Are you sure you want to get back to Florence? If your question is regarding a cruise you're probably starting and returning to Livorno, not Florence.

I presume Dave is docking in La Spezia and wants to know how to visit Florence.

We do not normally recommend going to Florence from La Spezia because of the time issues. You will need approximately 4 1/2 hours of train time (it can be more) plus the additional time getting to and from the stations and waiting for the trains. This does not leave you with a lot of time to enjoy Florence....unless you have a cruise that is not leaving from La Spezia until late in the evening.

Hank

I think the RCCL ships have moved their port from Livorno to La Spezia. I've seen a few posting about porting in La Spezia. So, we may be seeing this question come up more frequently now.

I also wouldn't really recommend trying to get to Florence. You will use quite a bit of time coming/going. But, if you really want to do it, you have a choice of DIY via train (go to the Trenitalia site to get the schedule), which is pretty darn easy, logistics-wise. Or, you can rent a car, but you've got parking issues and the dreaded ZTL to deal with in Florence. Or, you can do the ship tour, if offered, and move with the herd on the hard-set things to see. Or, if you are flush, go with one of the many private tour companies people hawk here. There are many threads in this forum with information on all 4 alternatives - just do a little searching.

Personally, I'd spend my whole day exploring Cinque Terre and save Florence for another time.

RCCL moved thier port to LaSpezia from Livorno which makes Florence more difficult. The ship does offer a excursion which is just transportation but for four people, it becomes a little costly ( about $400). Have never been to Florence and thus the desire to see it. You are correct, a good 4 hours of the day will be spent on travel and we thought that train would be faster and cheaper. We are arriving on a Saturday so I am not sure if that is worse or better than a work day in regards to traffic and tourism. My apologies for taking this thread but I saw La Spezia and it seems like I can't find anyone who can clearly explain the transportation effort to get from the cruise terminal to the train station if we indeed decide to take the train. - Dave in Houston

RCCL moved thier port to LaSpezia from Livorno which makes Florence more difficult. The ship does offer a excursion which is just transportation but for four people, it becomes a little costly ( about $400). Have never been to Florence and thus the desire to see it. You are correct, a good 4 hours of the day will be spent on travel and we thought that train would be faster and cheaper. We are arriving on a Saturday so I am not sure if that is worse or better than a work day in regards to traffic and tourism. My apologies for taking this thread but I saw La Spezia and it seems like I can't find anyone who can clearly explain the transportation effort to get from the cruise terminal to the train station if we indeed decide to take the train. - Dave in Houston

It's hard to be precise on this as La Spezia has changed just this year. Where this used to be a tender port, as of a couple of months ago ships now dock in one of two locations. From Molo Garibaldi you take a shuttle bus to the port entrance/exit; from there it's a two mile walk (or a few minutes cab ride) to La Spezia Centrale. Some ships have come in at a closer point, however, so it's hard to tell in advance.

On a Saturday morning in the summer you can get a train at 8:07 that gets you to Florence at 10 AM (there is a change at Pisa Centrale).

Coming back, if you need to be in La Spezia by 5:30-ish you'd want to be on either the 3 PM that gets back at 4:45 or the 3:28 that gets back at 5:40.

I am thinking out loud.....that cruisers should start paying a lot of attention to the actual European ports (and the times and day of the week in ports) BEFORE booking a cruise. We are seeing more and more itineraries that, IMHO, less then ideal. Some examples would be Toulon (we think Marseille is a much better option) and La Spezia (good for Cinque Terre...but not much else). Regarding the days of the week, Sundays and Mondays (particularly the morning) can be real problem days in Italy. And Sundays are not a particularly good day for France (there are some exceptions such as St Paul de Vence). We have also noticed the continuing trend where some cruise lines are reducing their port hours so that they can further slow down their ships and save fuel (big money). 1 or 2 hours less in a European port can be a huge difference if you are trying to get to places some distance from the port.

So, if one wants to go to Florence on a Port day you should choose a ship that has a long day in Livorno. For Rome its is Civitavecchia. For Cinque Terre it would be La Spezia (although it can be done from Livorno). When it comes to booking port intensive Med cruises we recommend that the itinerary be the primary focus....and the cruise line/ship be a relatively minor consideration.

Hank

I am thinking out loud.....that cruisers should start paying a lot of attention to the actual European ports (and the times and day of the week in ports) BEFORE booking a cruise. We are seeing more and more itineraries that, IMHO, less then ideal. Some examples would be Toulon (we think Marseille is a much better option) and La Spezia (good for Cinque Terre...but not much else). Regarding the days of the week, Sundays and Mondays (particularly the morning) can be real problem days in Italy. And Sundays are not a particularly good day for France (there are some exceptions such as St Paul de Vence). We have also noticed the continuing trend where some cruise lines are reducing their port hours so that they can further slow down their ships and save fuel (big money). 1 or 2 hours less in a European port can be a huge difference if you are trying to get to places some distance from the port.

So, if one wants to go to Florence on a Port day you should choose a ship that has a long day in Livorno. For Rome its is Civitavecchia. For Cinque Terre it would be La Spezia (although it can be done from Livorno). When it comes to booking port intensive Med cruises we recommend that the itinerary be the primary focus....and the cruise line/ship be a relatively minor consideration.

Hank

Hank,

I would agree with you.. Unfortunately, I did not start my research till after booking. I did not notice Rome port would be on a Sunday when everything is closed. I also did not realize that just because it says Florence, Naples, Rome, that most of your day will be spent traveling to get to see them. I think I got spoiled with stops where you step off the boat and you are there. I wish I would have paid more attention in 10th grade Geography class so I would know where everything was on a map. The reality is that you will be lucky to spend more than 5 hrs actually sight seeing in many of these ports on top of the stress that I know I will be experiencing in worrying about getting back to the ship on time. I am still glad I am doing the cruise but as you stated, I would have better off letting the itenerary logistics drive my decisions.

It's hard to be precise on this as La Spezia has changed just this year. Where this used to be a tender port, as of a couple of months ago ships now dock in one of two locations. From Molo Garibaldi you take a shuttle bus to the port entrance/exit; from there it's a two mile walk (or a few minutes cab ride) to La Spezia Centrale. Some ships have come in at a closer point, however, so it's hard to tell in advance.

On a Saturday morning in the summer you can get a train at 8:07 that gets you to Florence at 10 AM (there is a change at Pisa Centrale).

Coming back, if you need to be in La Spezia by 5:30-ish you'd want to be on either the 3 PM that gets back at 4:45 or the 3:28 that gets back at 5:40.

Thanks for the info, last question on this.. would you buy the tickets in advance. We arrive at 7:00am.. Ship leaves at 7:00pm. - thanks again - Dave in Houston.

Archived