Worried about not using ship sponsored tours

jrewing007

Hank,

I would agree with you.. Unfortunately, I did not start my research till after booking. I did not notice Rome port would be on a Sunday when everything is closed. I also did not realize that just because it says Florence, Naples, Rome, that most of your day will be spent traveling to get to see them.

I am still glad I am doing the cruise but as you stated, I would have better off letting the itenerary logistics drive my decisions.

Cheer up....the only thing closed in Rome on Sundays is the Vatican Museum. Almost every other museum and site, including the Colosseum, Forum, St. Peter's Basilica, Pantheon, and of course all the outdoor sites like Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps are all open on Sundays.

Thanks for the info, last question on this.. would you buy the tickets in advance. We arrive at 7:00am.. Ship leaves at 7:00pm. - thanks again - Dave in Houston.

I wouldn't buy the tickets in advance, because things can go wrong and prevent you being able to make the trip, and because at least some of the segments are on regional trains, and there's no financial incentive to purchase regional tickets early.

DW and I actually enjoy Rome on Sundays because its less crowded. But for strange scheduling reasons, our last 4 cruises that went into Civitavecchia were there on Sundays. Go figure. If you happen to be there on the last Sunday of the month...the Vatican Museums are actually open in the morning and are free!

Hank

Superdave: Let's look at this in a positive light:

You've learned to look closely at where the ports are relative to what you want to see before you book. You are not the first person to learn this and you will not be the last.

You've now set yourself up with an excellent reason to another trip to Italy, maybe even a land trip ;)

If you do decide not to take the train to Florence, don't worry. Cinque Terre is a gorgeous place!!!

Archived