Theme nights on Cunard

Courier95

It wouldn't be appropriate to wear fancy dress in the restaurants. And as I've said before, I've never seen anyone in fancy dress for these balls - just ladies in Victorian dress for the Victoriana Ball on the QV and people wearing masks for the Masquerade Ball. From what I've read, it may be mainly on Caribbean cruises that people might wear full fancy dress.

For a Buccaneer Ball I saw on the QM2, members of the band wore eye patches and some children were playing with plastic cutlasses and that was it.

It takes a long time for things to sometimes penetrate my thick skull, but the penny is finally dropping.

Apologies for not being descriptive enough in my previous post but for evening meal I should have said I meant an appropriate evening meal in a dining area where less formality is required.

Australian themed ball = Australian themedf food at the restaurant whilst men folk might be excused from not wearing a hat and possiblybeing dressed in Crocodile Dundee kit.

Elizabethan Ball would possibly be a pig roast (or appropriate meat)

Hopefully you get my drift but I accept this is not the case and the fancy dress is solely worn in the dance area. A shame as we get out of these things what we are prepared to put into them.

It takes a long time for things to sometimes penetrate my thick skull, but the penny is finally dropping.

Apologies for not being descriptive enough in my previous post but for evening meal I should have said I meant an appropriate evening meal in a dining area where less formality is required.

Australian themed ball = Australian themedf food at the restaurant whilst men folk might be excused from not wearing a hat and possiblybeing dressed in Crocodile Dundee kit.

Elizabethan Ball would possibly be a pig roast (or appropriate meat)

Hopefully you get my drift but I accept this is not the case and the fancy dress is solely worn in the dance area. A shame as we get out of these things what we are prepared to put into them.

No that Cunard has 'loosened up', I wouldn't mind some proper theme nights (as in fancy dress nights) where costumes were worn the entire night.

Something like this.

i-nrRtgXV-L.jpg

Or this.

i-rVhqWLQ-L.jpgi-q3PFvJd-L.jpg

Something for the gents.

i-NHdrwrx-L.png

i-bcCpknc-L.png

i-KHNgC2Q-L.png

Whitemarsh - is the poem in your public profil not the one from Lord Tennyson´s Lady of Shallot?? Like that peom very much- even Agatha Christie used in one of her novels.

Yes it is. Dolly Bantry referenced it in 'The Mirror Crack'd'.

i-nrRtgXV-L.jpg

That skirt is about the width of a Britannia inside cabin - and how would one manage to get through the cabin door and along the corridors when wearing it?

Nevertheless, it would provide some protection against falling over in rough sea conditions - it appears to stand up by itself.

I otherwise do agree that a costume ball would be a good idea.

We had misunderstood what these nights were and my wife was about to order this dress

Elizabethan_zps110dd2f6.jpg

The Australian evening would have been a challenge as I had mischievously suggested dressing as an Aborigine lady.

I suppose the only way anything like this would have worked would be for the ship to have a stock of cheap costumes to rent out.

The big problem with 'cheap' is that generally we get what we pay for and would 'cheap' have the ability to survive the role of being hired out on a regular basis?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a list of dates (just for approximating) for the 2014 WC Queen Elizabeth theme nights? The itinerary from Cunard currently doesn't even list formal nights for Cruise #503 (2015 WC), much less any idea of when the theme nights might occur. We sail SFO to SOU and are new to Cunard.

Thanks,

Does anyone have a list of dates (just for approximating) for the 2014 WC Queen Elizabeth theme nights? The itinerary from Cunard currently doesn't even list formal nights for Cruise #503 (2015 WC), much less any idea of when the theme nights might occur. We sail SFO to SOU and are new to Cunard.

Thanks,

Presumably you mean the 2015 WC? The list on Cunard's FAQ's only goes up to 9th January 2015.

Details of dress codes and ball schedules can be viewed under the links below:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all