Specialty Restaurant Reservations

RDMOREU

Further to what Lyn said, it also depends on the general attitude of the other passengers on your cruise. Generally we ourselves do NOT use all of our allocated reservations (although we are more likely to do so on the O ships). But from what I have read, there are cruises where there's lots of availability and then there are cruises where it's hard to get extra reservations.

Simple answer: there is no set rule. It depends.

It never hurts to show up and ask. If you're in a suite, you can have your butler do the asking.

Mura

Do most passengers use their 'allowed' reservations - or, any extras they can get - on port days or cruising days? TIA

It really depends.

I look at the schedule and if we sail at 5 or earlier (back on board by 4pm) or I know we just want a walk around town, no organized tour, and will be back on board early I have no problem scheduling a specialty restaurant, and we like to eat at the 6:30 reservation time.

A quick nap and shower and a drink in the cabin and we are ready to go. Country Club casual makes it so much easier.

We usually book our allowed reservations at Polo but do not always at Toscana. Just depends on the cruise and our mood. The Grand Dining Room is very enjoyable to us so we never mind going there.

I agree with RETIRED

we do the same

We like to eat early so book 6;30pm reservations ..some will be port days because we usually are back onboard early afternoon anyway

Lyn

We prefer to eat a bit later, 7:30-8:00. Perhaps that is why we will book reservations for any night that we can get rather than opting for a sea day. And our most recent cruises have been very port intensive -- whereas our next two cruises will be TAs, so hardly port intensive.

If we know we're in for an exhausting day, no, we won't book a specialty restaurant.

But as I usually I say, it's really hard to predict how others will feel on your cruise. There aren't any hard and fast rules.

Mura

I have always found that it is harder to get a reservation on a sea day or a day where we left port relatively early. That being said, we have always been on port intensive cruises that have very few sea days. Our Panama Canal cruise had 7 sea days and it was easier getting a sea day reservation on that cruise. We dine late and there are usually more late reservations open then early.

I can't recall from our prior Marina cruise how late the specialty restaurants are open / what is the latest reservation offered on the O ships? How late do the GDR and Terrace serve dinner? Also, does anyone know if the hours on embarkation day are different?

Our upcoming cruise sails away at 8pm and we would like to be on deck to watch. Will we be able to start a meal at 9pm-9:30 in some or all of the venues? I know there is a room service option, but I really enjoy the dining experience on O and would prefer one of the dining rooms if possible. On our last cruise we sailed at 10pm so we dined ahead of the sailaway. Thanks for any feedback!

Because every cruise you take will be different from that which I took or any other of us..

So, yes , no maybe ,some times, many times, never, earlier, later, port, sea,will be the case ever time.

Do your self a huge favor and pack extra patients and less expectation and let things happen rather than trying to control the details of the cruise.

Be happy for whatever happens.:cool:

Do you think most passengers use them on port days or cruising days? Thanks for your response.

It really boils down to which type of cruise you're taking. Most Oceania cruises are port intensive; often as much as a new port every single day. Obviously, all the reservations on these cruises will be on port days.

On a TransAtlantic, most of the days will be sea days. In this case, most of the reservations will be for sea days.

On split cruises, those with some sea days, perhaps a majority will attempt to make their reservations for those sea days. It just makes sense; they will be more rested and have more time to prepare for dinner. In those cases, it might be easier to get a desired time slot on a port day.

One thing I have learned is not to stress over the reservations. Most often, I don't even take advantage of the advance reservation system on line, but wait until I board to make reservations. Even then, I rarely make them on the first day. There will always be a reservation available at some time in some restaurant with flexibility in sharing. You will always be able to get your guaranteed number of reservations, and most often additional reservations if desired. For us, it's more important that we're flexible enough to dine with old and new friends, rather than concerning ourselves with specific dates or times.

I can't recall from our prior Marina cruise how late the specialty restaurants are open / what is the latest reservation offered on the O ships? How late do the GDR and Terrace serve dinner? Also, does anyone know if the hours on embarkation day are different?

Thanks for any feedback!

Specialty restaurant reservations made via the Oceania web site offer choices of 6:30pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 8:30pm and 9:00pm. I don't recall any times after that. The web site shows the same hours for embarkation day. I don't remember how late the GDR and Terrace serve, but I think they are open until at least 9:00pm. If I am wrong I am sure to be corrected by Cruise Critic members;).

Specialty restaurant reservations made via the Oceania web site offer choices of 6:30pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 8:30pm and 9:00pm. I don't recall any times after that. The web site shows the same hours for embarkation day. I don't remember how late the GDR and Terrace serve, but I think they are open until at least 9:00pm. If I am wrong I am sure to be corrected by Cruise Critic members;).

Thanks for the info, Boreus. I can no longer see the dining time slots since I've booked my four reservations, so this is very helpful. We should be able to make it to a venue by around 9pm if the sailing is at 8, although we may look a little windblown.

My recollection of the last time in for GDR is 9pm but it COULD be 9:30. However, there have been times when we left the dining room around 10:00 (having sat down around 8 or 8:15) and the place was pretty empty.

True, in this situation that Andromeda mentions, the Terrace might well be the best thing ... although, might they have run out of lobster by then??!! :mad:

All this talk about dinner reservations is making me want to book Jacques as soon as possible, but since we don't board the ship until November 20th I guess I will have to restrain my appetite and be PATIENT.

Mura

Archived